Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VR Series

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Well, I was wrong about Felt's VR launch and am therefore apologizing.

Apparently, the bike discussed in this thread was not a standard order delivery. The carbon VRs still aren't here yet.

I apologize to Felt for my comments and eagerly await my new bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Picked up my wifes VR2 this afternoon and went for a ride with her when we got home. She loves her new bike. Don't know how much she'll be using her Z4 any more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

Pics of clearance with Schwalbe S-One

I've switched the wheels/tires on my VR3 to DT Swiss R-23 Spline DB and Schwalbe S-One 30mm tubeless tires. The tires measure right at 30mm on these rims, and there is tons of clearance:
    VR Series-img_1712.jpgVR Series-img_1713.jpgVR Series-img_1714.jpg

Certainly won't have a problem with 35 or 36mm tires in the future. 38mm might be pushing it. The tightest spot is at the chainstays.

BTW the stock wheels and tires are on eBay if anyone is interested: 3T Discus C35 Pro Wheelset - Ridden twice - wide aero rims, disk brake ready | eBay and Vittoria Rubino Pro 700c 28mm 2 tires (1 pair) 2016 - Ridden TWICE | eBay
    Both are really nice, the only reason I didn't stick with them is wanting to try tubeless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    You may want to post them on Pinkbike better people to deal with at that price they should go quick

RoadBikeReview Member
    Picked up my VR5 today, and it looks great! I can only say "looks" since the weather will keep me from riding it until Friday, so I put it on the stand in my shop to take a closer look at the details. Appearance-wise, I like the natural carbon satin black better than I expected, and the blue accents are more extensive and stand out better than they do in a straight side picture. There are a lot of interesting things going on in the frame design that I'm beginning to appreciate as I examine it.

The 700x28 Vittoria Rubino Pros measure an actual 29mm max and there is tons of room for wider tires. Continental GP 4 Seasons are available in 700x32 now and I might consider those for better unpaved road performance.

My previous road bike is about 8 years old, so I was impressed by the fully concealed cables on this bike -- very clean looking. I was thinking about later changing the 48/32 crank to the minimal 46/30. It does look like there is enough travel on the mounting bracket to move the FD down the required ~4mm, so that idea is still in play.

One thing I noted is that this is my first thru-axle bike and it's apparent that I'll have to make sure that whatever multi-tool I'm carrying has a 6mm hex key! My usual road-bike tool only goes up to 5mm and is also a bit small to easily crank the 10 Nm torque that they specify.

I'll post more of a ride report later. At my age this might well be the last serious road bike that I buy before heading off into e-bike land, and right now it looks like I made the right choice!

VR Series-2016-10-25-12.48.14.jpg

VR Series-2016-10-25-12.50.56.jpg
    Last edited by rochrunner; 10-25-2016 at 03:20 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Flash photo in my garage showing the reflective bar tape. Also the Felt logo on the fork blade, and it's possible that the accent color trim is also reflective in some way.

VR Series-2016-11-01-15.47.34.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    I really wish Felt would release the carbon bikes to LBSes. This wait is killing me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliemike View Post
    I really wish Felt would release the carbon bikes to LBSes. This wait is killing me.
    Not sure what you mean by that. Two of us here have a VR3 and VR5, which are both carbon. Are you waiting for a VR2 or something?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that. Two of us here have a VR3 and VR5, which are both carbon. Are you waiting for a VR2 or something?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure how you got yours or where it came from but the VR3 was a Felt corporate demo bike that was sold to a LBS. I wouldn't be surprised if yours was part of the PR fleet that Felt used that the VR3 came from. Felt still has not released carbon VRs for sale to end customers from what I've been told.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliemike View Post
    I'm not sure how you got yours or where it came from but the VR3 was a Felt corporate demo bike that was sold to a LBS. I wouldn't be surprised if yours was part of the PR fleet that Felt used that the VR3 came from. Felt still has not released carbon VRs for sale to end customers from what I've been told.
    Assuming you're talking about my VR3, it certainly seems to have been fresh out of the box, so if it was part of a fleet it was not apparently used. Still though, I am grateful to my LBS that they were able to get it. And I am loving it!! I'll post some more pics shortly, including the new wheels/tires, a rainy day out with Raceblade feders, and, shortly, a Dark bento box that is coming.

T.R., conservationist
    After looking for a bike that could connect some good road-biking roads through several miles of rough gravel roads, I settled on the VR4 (about 90% good roads to 10% bad). The Zipp wheels with the ability to take 32mm tubeless tires and a 1x chainring, as it's mostly flat here, are perfect.
    I had almost settled on the Specialized Diverge, plus had looked at some others, but am so tired of the black-on-black. Usually color is not my big thing but the looks of this red bike was a big factor in putting down on it even though delivery is not until January... I guess there's demand.
    Then my wife got so stoked she put down for a VR4W, which is a white model... our Christmas presents.
    I've ordered a carbon bar so that, and going tubeless, look to be only changes. I feel Felt is onto something with this model as they look to have done this bike right. Another nice feature that I heard about is the accents and print on the bike are supposed to be reflective. Great safety feature.
    Anyone else ridden either of these two models yet?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerman View Post
    Another nice feature that I heard about is the accents and print on the bike are supposed to be reflective. Great safety feature.
    Take a look about 6 posts back at the photo of my VR5 taken with flash in my dark garage. The bar tape is what really lights up (that's not white bar tape!), plus the logo on the fork legs and possibly some other details. The graphic on the downtube is not reflective.

Anyway, congrats on your purchases. I also liked the red, but really need the extra gear range and spacing of the double in front. I might also be "too old" to learn and get used to SRAM-style shifting.

T.R., conservationist
    VR Series-felt-vr4.jpg

The Felt VR4 got to the bikeshop and I was able to see it built up today. Very happy with the red color, not washed out or orangy... weighed it, 19 pounds!
    The tech at the shop has a Felt road bike he's building now, it's under 13 pounds. I do like these bikes. I still have to get them to switch to the carbon bar I bought.
    So, for mainly road but 10% or so of gravel roads, what kind of pedals would be good? I have some old Candy's on Shimano shoes, may give those a try.. ?? Happy, happy New Year !!!

After looking for a bike that could connect some good road-biking roads through several miles of rough gravel roads, I settled on the VR4 (about 90% good roads to 10% bad). The Zipp wheels with the ability to take 32mm tubeless tires and a 1x chainring, as it's mostly flat here, are perfect.
    I had almost settled on the Specialized Diverge, plus had looked at some others, but am so tired of the black-on-black. Usually color is not my big thing but the looks of this red bike was a big factor in putting down on it even though delivery is not until January... I guess there's demand.
    Then my wife got so stoked she put down for a VR4W, which is a white model... our Christmas presents.
    I've ordered a carbon bar so that, and going tubeless, look to be only changes. I feel Felt is onto something with this model as they look to have done this bike right. Another nice feature that I heard about is the accents and print on the bike are supposed to be reflective. Great safety feature.
    Anyone else ridden either of these two models yet?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    I'm hoping my LBS can order a VR5 for me next week. How is the saddle on it?

T.R., conservationist
    Quote Originally Posted by varnerme View Post
    Hello and welcome from Texas!!! I think you are going to be very happy with that VR5, I am very excited about this line of bikes.

Actually, I wasn't able to pick up and ride my VR4 today as after I got to the bike shop I was called home due to a nearby grassfire. I did get to look at it, the red on it is beatiful! I am pleased as I can be with this bike, just can't wait to ride it.

Concerning the Prologo saddle, it seems like it would be comfortable It seems wide enough to offer decent sit-bone support with firm but discernible padding so the three point connection should be comfortable. But honestly I only gave it passing attention as I have a Brooks destined for this bike. I am not young and prefer the wide, sling like support that it will provide in order to have the best chance of avoiding interference with my 'top tube' function.
    ;)
    Please post some pics of that VR5 if you get it and Happy New Year!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varnerme View Post
    I'm with jerman and mounted the Brooks saddle from my previous bike on my VR5 before I'd even ridden it (actually the dealer did it so he could do the initial fitting session with me the day I picked it up).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Hello and welcome from Texas!!! I think you are going to be very happy with that VR5, I am very excited about this line of bikes.

Actually, I wasn't able to pick up and ride my VR4 today as after I got to the bike shop I was called home due to a nearby grassfire. I did get to look at it, the red on it is beatiful! I am pleased as I can be with this bike, just can't wait to ride it.

Concerning the Prologo saddle, it seems like it would be comfortable It seems wide enough to offer decent sit-bone support with firm but discernible padding so the three point connection should be comfortable. But honestly I only gave it passing attention as I have a Brooks destined for this bike. I am not young and prefer the wide, sling like support that it will provide in order to have the best chance of avoiding interference with my 'top tube' function.
    ;)
    Please post some pics of that VR5 if you get it and Happy New Year!
    My local shop said Felt was closed until the 2nd, so he can't order until then. He is a Trek dealer, but has also carried Felt at a small level. I'm hoping he can get one for me.

I'm changing from a Trek Madone 5.2. I'm 6'6" and hope the 61 cm frame will work. Looking forward to a more comfortable ride that I can hopefully ride more often and longer distances. 44 years old and it's not as easy as it used to be! looking forward to using this forum for info and advice.

Thanks,
    Mike

T.R., conservationist
    Interesting that Felt is an also mentioned brand in the big bike shops around here. No one seems to feature them but from what I've read Felt invests in R&D and not marketing. That sounds good to me. The warranty, reviews, and track record encouraged me with the purchase of this brand..

Can't comment on your sizing, but I would think your shop can guide you best on that. The relaxed geometry and wide tires should improve your ride quality dramatically over that rigid Madone.

From the reading I've done, the carbon bars are a necessary upgrade. I have carbon bars on nearly all my other bikes and they make a huge difference decreasing vibration.

My opinion is this bike will not be the rate limiting factor in your endeavor to increase the distances you ride.. but then again, the bikes rarely are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    From the reading I've done, the carbon bars are a necessary upgrade. I have carbon bars on nearly all my other bikes and they make a huge difference decreasing vibration.
    Carbon bars would be a nice upgrade, but in my experience the wider tires at a reasonable pressure eliminates any vibrations that I can notice. I really think that this bike is the smoothest road bike that I've personally been on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Picked it up today! Can't wait to ride...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VR Series-img_1852.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Good looking bike. I will say that I prefer the old Felt logo but other than that I really like that they've been getting away from the murdered out black look and adding some color to their bikes the last couple of years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    I picked up a VR30 last week, although at the 2nd attempt! The first bike had quite a few issues so I had to have it replaced by the dealer. I already have an upgraded Z5 which I love so I picked up the VR30 as my dirt road and winter bike. I haven't had chance to ride it yet as we have a decent amount of snow on the ground and temps are around -10c (14F). First, well, second impressions are good, i'm liking the low gear ratios from the chainset, I live in the French Alps so I have lots of hills to climb! I had a combo of Schwalbe 35mm Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph kicking about so I fitted them as I was curious about the clearance. They fitted no problem! Granted, riding through thick mud would soon jam up but that's not my intention with this bike anyway. I can't wait to head out for a proper ride on it now!

VR Series-img_4293.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveW4130 View Post
    I picked up a VR30 last week, although at the 2nd attempt! ... I can't wait to head out for a proper ride on it now!
    Great looking bike! Mine is put away for a few months yet, so I'll be interested in any more comments you have about your riding experiences.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    Great looking bike! Mine is put away for a few months yet, so I'll be interested in any more comments you have about your riding experiences.
    Well I thought I best man up today and go for a little ride! I kept the CX tyres on as I planned on venturing 'off piste' but there was an xc ski event going on so I couldn't go where I wanted! I did just shy of 40k on the road, it felt super comfy and it absorbed the rough road holes very well. The bigger volume tyres obviously help but it really was a pleasant ride. I will stick some slick tyres on next to compare as, of course, it felt very sluggish with the cx tyres on the road. I'm planning on fitting some 30mm tyres instead of the stock 28mm to give a bit more comfort. I think i'm going to enjoy riding this bike!

VR Series-img_4348.jpg VR Series-img_4347.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Hello,

finally I also received my VR2 (INT Version).

VR Series-img_20170216_194428_k.jpg

But before I take it out for the first ride I will make some minor adjustments.

VR Series-img_20161126_094047.jpg

Cheers

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast