Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VR Series

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    First I put on some wider tires for the winter ans spring season.
    But I must admit, that the original Mavic tires had remarkable 29,7 mm for a 28c tire.
    I put on some 32 Conti 4 Season, which measure 32,5mm and have still plenty of room in the VR frame.
    Also changed the sprocket from the original specified Deore 105 11-32 to a Ultegra 11-28 and the front rotor from SM-RT70 to a SM-RT99, like in the rear.
    @Felt For a bike at this price I was really disappointed, that the Bike didn't come with full Ultegra (Spoket and Chain Deore 105 and front rotor SLX). Especially two different rotor look weird.

VR Series-img_20170217_191750.jpg
    Last edited by Tobsn; 02-22-2017 at 12:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobsn View Post
    I was really disappointed, that the Bike didn't come with full Ultegra (Spoket and Chain Deore 105 and front rotor SLX). Especially two different rotor look weird.
    Shimano doesn't have a crankset with the 46/30 gearing that Felt was looking for to go on this type of bike. Is the rear cassette really from the 105 series (not the same as "Deore", which is actually a MTB driveline group)? In any case, I think that there's not much difference between a 105 and Ultegra cassette, and I personally would not want to go from 11-32 to 11-28 on a bike that will sometimes be used off-road where it could be rough and hilly; I may even switch to a 12-34 depending on what I find when I really start using the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    Shimano doesn't have a crankset with the 46/30 gearing that Felt was looking for to go on this type of bike...
    The 46/30 was one of the reasons for the Bike. ;)

I think that there's not much difference between a 105 and Ultegra cassette, and I personally would not want to go from 11-32 to 11-28 ...
    No, there is not much difference and the cassette and chain are spare parts anyway. But ... at that price.
    I changed the cassette from my girlfriends bike, she got 50/34 11-28 and wanted a gear more. So now I have her cassette and she got mine.
    Maybe the next cassette will be again a 11-32.
    By the way her bike was much cheaper and came with full Ultegra.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Next on the list, get rid of the new Shimano J-KIT (Junction-Kit).
    Does junction are nice for the manufacturer, because the disc is easy to install and no bleeding necessary, but they look like a pimple.

VR Series-img_20170216_223723.jpg

Shorten the brake hosing is anything I do with every new bike, so it was no big deal.
    With this step I also replaced the Di2 Junction und the stem with a the new EW-RS910.
    To do so I switch to a the carbon version of the 3T Ergonova with internal cable routing.

VR Series-img_20170207_190918.jpg

VR Series-img_20170219_082320.jpg

Now it looks much cleaner. Ready to ride

VR Series-img_20170222_151916.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Today the weather was perfect for the first long ride.
    The bike is a blast

VR Series-img_20170225_131330.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    After some serious rides I already feel really comfortable with the VR and now close to final version.
    Did some minor changes like cutting the head tube and so on.

VR Series-img_20170311_165027.jpg

But more significant.
    I changed the shifting pattern.
    Updated to Synchronized Shifting and changed the configuration of the shifters. It is now like SRAM eTap, even better.

VR Series-screenshot_20170310-203718.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Finally spring

VR Series-felt-vr-2.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I think I pretty much decided to purchase a Felt VR series bike Now I have to decide which model. I am thinking of either the VR30 or VR5. Not sure the rather large difference is price is worth spending for carbon over aluminum - I am pretty much a newbie, so not sure I would notice the benefit of carbon. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffBinder View Post
    I think I pretty much decided to purchase a Felt VR series bike Now I have to decide which model. I am thinking of either the VR30 or VR5. Not sure the rather large difference is price is worth spending for carbon over aluminum - I am pretty much a newbie, so not sure I would notice the benefit of carbon. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    VR5 all the way! If you are like me, if you buy the VR30, you will immediately regret not going for the VR5. I have the VR5 and so far it's awesome! I only have two rides on it so far, but the weather is turning and my riding days are coming soon. I'm a CPA and in the home stretch of tax season, so I plan to ride a ton starting next week. Here's a picture of my VR5!

VR Series-img_1919.jpg
    Last edited by varnerme; 04-10-2017 at 07:26 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varnerme View Post
    VR5 all the way!
    Agreed. I took my VR5 for a ride Sunday on a local rail-trail. It's mostly hard-packed gravel, but there's one section of poorly-paved asphalt that is extremely lumpy and bumpy. While there's no way to hide the bumps, the VR5 goes through there almost as well as my Specialized Crosstrail that has an aluminum frame and suspension fork. I think that an aluminum frame with the rigid fork would be a lot rougher-riding -- the carbon frame does what it was designed for in providing enough "give" to take the edge off of the bumps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    In my opinion it is hard to argue for more than a good allow frame and Shimano 105. With a bike like the VR30 you will have a very good bike with no compromise.
    The only argument I accept if someone wants a more expensive bike is, because he/she wants it and can afford it.
    Sure the carbon frame should be a little bit more comfortable. But tires and pressure will have more impact.

And as a newbie consider, that there are more spending than just the bike. Shoes, pants, ... bike trip.

Cheers from Sicilian

VR Series-felt-vr2-sicilia-01.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks everyone for your response.

I have yet another wrinkle. For approximately the same price ($2000 US) I can purchase a brand new 2014 FELT Z3, supposedly a $3000 bike in 2014.

Thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    A good bike, but different to the VR.
    We don't know your preferences.
    What are you looking for?

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I think I am looking for an endurance bike (something that is comfortable for a 100 miles) that can fit at least a 32CM tire. There is a trail near me that runs from Washington DC to Pittsburgh, PA half of which (I am told) is pretty rough/gravely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffBinder View Post
    I think I am looking for an endurance bike (something that is comfortable for a 100 miles) that can fit at least a 32CM tire. There is a trail near me that runs from Washington DC to Pittsburgh, PA half of which (I am told) is pretty rough/gravely.
    You're talking about the Great Allegheny Passage/C&O Canal Towpath route, which I have done end-to-end twice. The C&O portion between Cumberland and Washington is the roughest part, but mainly is a problem if it's been raining -- very muddy in spots. Definitely not for skinny tires! The GAP trail is typical hard-packed crushed limestone. The best bike IMO is a hybrid-type bike with suspension fork and 35-38 tires, such as my Specialized Crosstrail. You can read my blog entry about my trip down that route last year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    @JeffBinder:
    The decision between the Z and VR is simple.
    With the Z you get a classic endurance bike with the VR the next evolution.
    The VR comes with disc breaks and therefore more tire clearance and comfort.
    If you get along with 30mm tires and rim breaks, you get with the Z the lighter package for a better price.

https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/08/01...-gravel-bikes/

@rochrunner: Very nice blog.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    So, I just back from two weeks Sicilia and finished my first 1000 miles on the VR.
    And can tell you it is the perfect companion for long and enjoyable rides.

First week we had our base at one location, second week we did a cross from Siracusa to Palermo.

VR Series-felt-vr2-sicilia-02.jpgVR Series-felt-vr2-sicilia-03.jpgVR Series-felt-vr2-sicilia-04.jpgVR Series-felt-vr2-sicilia-05.jpgVR Series-felt-vr2-sicilia-06.jpgVR Series-felt-vr2-sicilia-07.jpgVR Series-felt-vr2-sicilia-09.jpgVR Series-felt-vr2-sicilia-10.jpgVR Series-felt-vr2-sicilia-11.jpgVR Series-felt-vr2-sicilia-12.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    My friends are already running the Conti 4Season for year and the tire has a very good reputation in my group, especially when the roads and condition become worse.
    But the color, why can't Conti produce it with a black sidewall.

To the Charcoal / Chartreuse VR and especially to the brown MAVIC Ksyrium Elite DISC ALLROAD it fits very well, so I took the opportunity and tried the tire by myself for the first ime.

After 2 Month on the 32mm Conti 4Season I can say, it is a very good tire and fits perfect to the VR.
    For everyone who looks for an extra of confidence and comfort without sacrificing rolling resistance , I can recommend this tire. I used it manly on tarmac from good to very bad.

Only downside is the wear off of the tire. That is why most of my friend drive them only in winter and or combine it with a different rear tire for summer.

I removed them also now for summer to save them for the next autumn/winter.

VR Series-img_20170429_115502.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    For summer I'm trying Road Tubeless.
    Not that I'm convinced of tubeless for road. I even hat bad experience with it. In 2009 I tried it already, after 3 weeks riding on a fast decent the front tire jump of the rim. Nothing happend, but sill ...
    Since then a lot has changed, the Mavic rim is made for tubeless and I like to try different thinks.

I choose a Schwalbe Pro One Evolution MicroSkin OneStar in 28-622.
    I don't like Schwalbe, but with tubeless they have some experience.
    And so the installation was no problem at all and took not much longer than for a normal tube tire.

The first two rides where promising, but still have to find the right pressure.

VR Series-felt-vr2-04.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    So I finally got of my backside and put a down payment on a VR5, basically committing myself to purchasing something. I still have the option of purchasing a VR5 or VR30. Just for comparison, I am also going to test ride a Cannondale synapse carbon (with 105 components). Hoping to be able to test ride all three - maybe 5-10 miles each. This sounds silly, but other than comfort, is there anything else I should keep in mind and look for during the test rides? Thanks everyone in advance for you response!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Those are all three very good bikes, with which you can't make anything wrong.
    Don't compare them to rational by pro and cons. Buy the one which appeals most to you.
    Make a heart decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobsn View Post
    After 2 Month on the 32mm Conti 4Season I can say, it is a very good tire and fits perfect to the VR.
    For everyone who looks for an extra of confidence and comfort without sacrificing rolling resistance , I can recommend this tire. I used it manly on tarmac from good to very bad.
    I'm going to be taking my first multi-day outing on my VR5 in about a month. It's going to be mosty on roads, so no issues there, but one day includes mostly trails. The trail in question (C&O Canal Towpath) is definitely not a smooth, groomed rail-trail, and in fact if it's wet it can get downright rutted and nasty. I rode it last year on my trail bike and was glad for the 700x38 tires while watching some of my riding companions sliding in the mud and getting beat up with their non-suspended skinnier-tired bikes.

But those were high-mileage all-day rides, which this is definitely not. I can probably handle 20 miles of just about anything with the OEM 700x28s, but am thinking in general that even for my intended local riding -- which might include some rough dirt roads -- that maybe an upgrade to the Contis would be worth it.

What pressure are you running? Does it seem to make much difference in rolling resistance on pavement? Puncture protection is also very important -- any comments on that? And by the way, the only listing I could find of that tire show that it comes only with a black sidewall.
    Last edited by rochrunner; 05-01-2017 at 05:47 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    ...The trail in question (C&O Canal Towpath)...
    Looks nice.
    Looking forward to read your blog.
    Maybe I have to consider the US as one of my next bike destination.
    If they let me in ...

....What pressure are you running? Does it seem to make much difference in rolling resistance on pavement? Puncture protection is also very important -- any comments on that? And by the way, the only listing I could find of that tire show that it comes only with a black sidewall.
    At around 190 pounds, I was riding the 32mm 4 Season with 60psi front and 65psi rear. Prefer to ride as low as possible.
    At least this is what my SKS compressor says. My Topeak SmartGauge D2 says even 5 psi less. Don't as me what is true.
    The puncture protection is very good at this tire.
    Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Rolling Resistance Review

There was a black edition of the 4 season, which I never found. The black/black we get here in Germany is with the brown side wall. But it will look not that bat to the VR5.

The 32 4 Season can also do strada bianca, if it is not to muddy.
    My college in Sicilia also on 32mm 4 season.

VR Series-siciliacross_day6_xx.jpg

VR Series-siciliacross_day5_xx.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2017
    Hi, very intrigued by this bike - I'm currently looking for a kind of gravel or adventure bike and this one might just be right.
    What would you recommend for a 189cm guy with long(ish) arms and legs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    I would think you are probably a 61, but a test ride would probably be in order if you can find one.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast