Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: VR Series

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobsn View Post
    Cleaned the bike, changed the chain and mounted the fenders.
    The fenders are very easy to install and hope they will do their job.
    Ready for the dark and nasty time of the year.
    tobsn, I'm always envious of how much time you have to ride your bike all year! I put in far too few miles and now it's put away for a few months.

What brand of fenders are those? Were they easy to mount? I seem to remember that Felt was supposed to offer fenders specifically for these bikes.

I have a couple of adventures planned for next year where they might come in handy. The hybrid that I used to use on this type of ride had a rear rack on it that acted as a decent rear fender (kept my back clean!), but I'm not using anything like that on the VR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Yes, those are the original Felt fenders.
    https://www.felt-stuff.com/parts-spa...black?c=200030
    Unfortunately not available at the moment and much more expensive. I bought them for 24.95, now listed for 34,95.
    They were pretty easy to mount, took me around 30 minutes.
    My 32mm 4Season fit easy. I think up to 35mm are no problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Unfortunately not available at the moment and much more expensive. I bought them for 24.95, now listed for 34,95.

USD$31 here direct from Felt (26.70). With shipping added up to $43, but well worth it to have around, especially on multi-day rides where weather is unpredictable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017

I'm curious about these fenders, the euro website lists them as fitting all VR models, and unfortunately still out of stock, but the U.S website states they do not fit the VR30 and VR40. I'd be a bit disappointed if they didn't because the VR30 still has dedicated mudguard mounts, the rear is in a slightly different location but the fork is the same. It's getting to the time of year where I need to get some fenders on the bike! I've emailed Felt in the U.S but no reply yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    @SteveW4130
    With my fenders (EU) I received two different type of mounts for the rear.
    One for the case the screw is on the inside of the chain stay, like on my VR2.
    One for the case the screw is on the rear side of the chain stay.
    Unluckily I don't have the instruction anymore.
    Where is the screw for the fender on the VR30?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    @SteveW4130
    With my fenders (EU) I received two different type of mounts for the rear.
    One for the case the screw is on the inside of the chain stay, like on my VR2.
    One for the case the screw is on the rear side of the chain stay.
    Unluckily I don't have the instruction anymore.
    Where is the screw for the fender on the VR30?
    It is on the rear side of the chain stay (facing backwards). I've actually had a reply from Felt and the mudguards, as of this summer, do fit the VR30 and 40 models. Only problem is, they are totally sold out and are struggling to get more in!

How do you find them? Worth waiting for or are the other mudguards on the market better?

Thanks
    Steve

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    @SteveW4130
    If they are better or worse, I can't tell. I don't have much comparison.
    So fare they work well, fit perfect and pretty solid quality.
    For commuting they could go further down, shoes and angle are still sprayed with water and dirt. But for leisure and sportive rides it doesn't bother me. Got waterproof shoes.
    Some time I touch the front flap with my shoes (Size 8). Some may like fenders without that flap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    So, now I'm through with all the features of the VR.

I mounted a bento box. For 17 a good buy.
    Was fitting very well to the Felt VR2, perfect for the flat tob tube and very stable, even with the heavy battery.

VR Series-img_20171115_182030.jpg

But I dismounted it after yesterday night ride and will send it back.
    I could only fit the small battery (2,6 AH) into it, which left me without light at the end of my ride
    A bigger bento box which would take the normal battery (5,2 Ah) looks awful. I ordered one from topeak, but not even mounted it.
    Bento boxes are nothing for me.
    The battery for night rides will be mounted under the top tube or in a water bottle as before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    USD$31 here direct from Felt (26.70). With shipping added up to $43, but well worth it to have around, especially on multi-day rides where weather is unpredictable.
    And did you get your fenders.

I'm really happy that I got mine.
    Normally it is colder here with less rain. This year it is very wet and without it would be ...

VR Series-img_20171209_120910-effects.jpg

VR Series-img_20171216_144547-effects.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, and they're still in the box in the basement, which is also where my VR will be for the next few months. I did take a look at the instructions and they should be no problem to install.

However, your comment on still getting a lot of spray from the front tire is making me thin about only installing the rear fender and just using a wider downtube-mounted splash deflector like I have on my hybrid. One main use for the fenders will be for riding on possibly muddy rail-trails and would like to keep my shins and shoes a bit cleaner. This worked well last year on one of my messier all-day-rain rides:

VR Series-2016-06-08-14.52.25.jpg

No need to tell you where that mud would have been without the deflector!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Felt Fender or down tube mudguard, both does not prevent shoes and lower shins from water and dirt.
    Still I would say, that the upper body will be more protected with the fenders.

To prevent shoes and lower shins, the fenders have to go much further down, like you see it on custom commuter bikes.

My bottom bracket area after Saturday 4.5 hour ride on wet and dirty roads incl. 1 hour rain/snow.
    Looks quite similar to yours.
    The rest of the bike and rider was clean and looked like fresh out of the washing machine.

VR Series-img_20171219_155832.jpg

Too show how far up the feet and shins it will spray.
    After yesterday nightride, rain at the end. Rest of bike and rider clean, no splash.
    With the fenders I don't care about rain anymore, waterproof shoes given.

VR Series-img_20171219_182807.jpg
    Last edited by Tobsn; 12-19-2017 at 11:13 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Felt Fender or down tube mudguard, both does not prevent shoes and lower shins from water and dirt.
    Still I would say, that the upper body will be more protected with the fenders.
    Yes, of course you're right. Below is a pic of me taken at a rest stop on the day that it was raining so much. You can see that my lower legs are splashed, but my upper legs and body are wet but clean. I was wearing rain covers on my shoes, so at the end of the day that was the only thing that I really had to clean off.
    VR Series-2016-06-05-11.49.04.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, after fitting just the front fender and seeing how they're a bit tricky to get just right, and they're certainly not a "quick on/off" accessory, I've decided that they simply don't suit my type of riding on this bike. If I were to ride it daily rain-or-shine -- such as for commuting -- I'd have them on there at certain times of the year, but at my stage of my riding career I can afford to be a "fair weather" rider. I still need something for taking along on multi-day trips where the weather is less certain and especially if it's unpaved, but can do that with some cheap MTB-style flaps like the one in my previous post.

So my fender set will be for sale, probably at just $20 or so plus shipping. They are definitely well designed and made to fit using existing attachment points on the bike. Just a bit more semi-permanent than I would have liked.

BTW, these fit all models: VR30, 40, 50, 60, and all carbon models.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

How's the 46/30 on the VR5 working out?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a VR5 or a VR4. I like the lower gearing of the VR4, but not particularly excited about the 1x chainring. Going your route, and changing the VR5 to 46/30, seems like the best option for me. Are you finding you have sufficiently low gearing for challenging climbs?

Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    I just got back from the shop with my new FSA Modular Adventure 46/30 crankset installed. If you have a VR2, this is what came on your bike, but it's an upgrade for my VR5. Also saves 235 grams!

The dealer told me that he hadn't sold any more (or few) bikes like mine or higher (VR2-VR5), but that the aluminum VR30s and VR40s are selling well. Their price-point seems to hit a sweet spot in the local market (this is not a high-end road bike area).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alcalira View Post
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a VR5 or a VR4. I like the lower gearing of the VR4, but not particularly excited about the 1x chainring. Going your route, and changing the VR5 to 46/30, seems like the best option for me. Are you finding you have sufficiently low gearing for challenging climbs?
    Yes, it's definitely sufficient for anything that I will run into in any of the places that I'm likely to ride in the future. To be honest, the 48/32 might have been all I need and it certainly worked on my trip last year in hilly country in PA and MD, but the 46/30 will take any remaining uncertainty out of the picture! But again, I can only speak for the riding I do in the relatively flat area that I live in.

I'd have like to have this bike and this gearing a few years ago on a really tough week-long ride that I did, but at my age now I'm not likely to do any rides like that again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's a blog entry about the various changes and accessories that I've tried over the past year: Doug's Biking Blog: Accessories and Upgrades

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks for sharing your experience! I went ahead and ordered the 2018 VR5. It comes with a 1:1 low gear (32-32) whereas my current road bike is 1.13 (34-30). The gearing on the road bike is really not low enough for some of the hills around here in northern California. I'm going to ride the VR5 with its stock gearing for awhile and see how I do. I can always put the 46/30 crankset on it for around $300, and in the process upgrade to carbon and shed some weight from the bike. The VR4, if you choose to run the 38 tooth chainring, has a .9 ratio (38:42) but since there is no front derailleur the top gear comes in at only 3.45, which is really not going to work when I'm on smooth flat roads with my cycling buddies and we are drafting and going 25 mph or so. I'd have to maintain a cadence of 95 to keep up and would have no higher gears. While the 1x setup makes sense for a single-purpose bike, when you want to use the same bike for both dirt/gravel climbing and smooth roads at high speed, I think you need two chainrings. Hence the VR5. Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Great blog. Thank you! I hope to put my VR5 to as good a use as you have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alcalira View Post
    While the 1x setup makes sense for a single-purpose bike, when you want to use the same bike for both dirt/gravel climbing and smooth roads at high speed, I think you need two chainrings. Hence the VR5. Thanks again.
    The issue I've always seen with the 1x setups is that the jumps between cogs are quite large, possibly making it hard to find the right gear on a long, steady road section. You know what I'm talking about: the smaller cog is a bit too hard of a pull at your ideal cadence, but shifting down to the next larger cog gives you the feeling of spinning too easily like you want to shift up again! I always like to ride in steady-state conditions at just the right balance of cadence and effort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Spring is finally here and time to get the bike ready for the trip to Corsica.
    - Got rid of the fenders.
    - New small chain ring, cassette and chain.
    - New tires (Mavic Yksion tubeless).
    - New front derailleur.

VR Series-img_20180422_115541.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Spring is finally here and time to get the bike ready for the trip to Corsica.
    - Got rid of the fenders.
    - New small chain ring, cassette and chain.
    - New tires (Mavic Yksion tubeless).
    - New front derailleur.
    Are you changing anything about the cassette or chain ring or are they just worn out? And the same for the front derailleur -- damaged, worn, upgrade?

The only thing I'm changing for this season is a new seat, which I'll be trying out for the first time later today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    The drivetrain was worn out, so I had to change it.

At the front derailleur I managed to bend the outer plate (DI2 is merciless). I could bend it back, but afterwards it was not as stable as before. I did it another 2 times and every time it took less effort to bend.

A good saddle is very important and individual. With the original sattle I was also not happy. On my MTB I had to try 4 saddle, before I was happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Spring is finally here and time to get the bike ready for the trip to Corsica. ...
    Thanks to the french ground staff, we spend last week in Cyprus instead of Corsica.
    Which turned out to be not as bad, it was raining the whole week in Corsika.

VR Series-img_20180429_114311-effects.jpg

VR Series-img_20180501_124016.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017

Red face

After Cyprus I headed for an other week in Greece. This time the north of Greece, Chalkidiki. Wonderfull landscape and beautiful empty roads.
    During the whole week I only saw at one day other riders.

Here a picture form the ride around the peninsula of Sithonia (75 miles and 6000 feet, constantly up and down)

VR Series-pano_20180530_135943.jpg

Back home it was time to make some maintenance.
    Obviously the winter worked hard at my brakes.
    I had to change the rear disc, the alloy core was already visible.
    Changed also the break fluid, break pads and bar tape.
    The Alps can come now.

VR Series-img_20180609_144356.jpg

VR Series-img_20180609_144345.jpg
    Last edited by Tobsn; 06-12-2018 at 12:26 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Changed also the break fluid, break pads and bar tape...
    With the new, old bar tape. ;)
    Even I was not very happy with the Lizard Skin bar tape the first time ... I got it from a friend and maybe this time it will last longer.

VR Series-img_20180626_175841.jpg

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast