Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: VR Series

RoadBikeReview Member
    In the "here we go again" department, I'm thinking of looking for a different seat for my VR5. I actually changed out the seat before I even took delivery of the bike, so I do have the OEM seat in a box along with a couple of other seats from years past. Any comments on the OEM seat? I might just try a couple of the seats that I have since I no longer remember where they came from or why they're laying around in my workshop. But I think that my physique and riding style have changed a lot over the years and something else might work better for me now.

On a negative note, the dealer where I bought my bike is going out of business. Really unfortunate since they were the only Felt dealer around and were one of the very few shops in this area that promoted road bikes (this is mostly a MTB/Trail/Hybrid area). They specialized in triathlon bikes and gear, so maybe that ended up not working out so well.

T.R., conservationist
    Anyone have a problem with chain-drop in the front jamming between the crank assembly and the frame?
    My wife's VR5W did this and the bottom bracket had to be loosened to free the chain. It was impossible to remove the chain by hand, stranded on the ride.
    I emailed Felt and was told to adjust the fr derr and, from the pics I sent the customer service guy, he said it looked OK to him.
    The frame was gouged from the pretzel-twisted chain that had jammed.. jammed so tight it was impossible to remove without loosening the BB.
    This happened about 8 mos ago and I had the derr adjusted then the bike didn't get ridden. Now with the dtr's wedding over my wife's taken her bike out and the second ride out the exact thing happened again, we were stranded and had to be sagged in.
    Here's Felt's email reply from last Sept...
    'Frame scratch From the photo the frame does not look permanently damaged. My suggestion is when you take it to the shop to make sure the front derr. is adjusted correctly, have them take a look in person to access it. From the photos it looks OK to me.
    I hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Alan Foster - Felt Bicycles
    Consumer Relations'
    He said 'the frame DOES NOT LOOK PERMANENTLY DAMAGED.' Trust me, the frame is permanently marred. I have owned 6 other brands of bikes: Trek, Look, Merlin, Serrotta, Orbea and GT. None have ever exhibited a problem like this when a front chain was dropped. I did have a problem with my Look frame and they upgraded me to their better frame for cost and gave me all kinds of Look swag. When Alan stated he 'didn't feel the frame was damaged' and then that's-that, I don't feel Felt addressed this situation adequately. This is just a side-note on the customer service you can expect from Felt.
    I took the bike back in and had a chain catcher installed on the derr. Just a word of warning about the chain-drop and my experience with Felt's CS...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    In the "here we go again" department, I'm thinking of looking for a different seat for my VR5. I actually changed out the seat before I even took delivery of the bike, so I do have the OEM seat in a box along with a couple of other seats from years past. Any comments on the OEM seat? ...
    With my OEM saddle I was also not satisfied. Tried it on the Felt and even on my MTB. Was ok, but not good and is now in a box with all the other saddles.
    Good look finding the right seat,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jerman View Post
    Anyone have a problem with chain-drop in the front jamming between the crank assembly and the frame?...
    I had that Problem.
    Also had to remove the drive side of the crank to get the chain out.
    I don't know the root cause exactly, but I think it was a mixture of
    - wrong shifting
    - chainrings (FSA)
    - front derailleur adjustment.
    Since I adjusted the front derailure and changed the shifting I didn't had the problem anymore. Also change the chainrings and chain when worn out.

Additionally I used MarshGuard slapper tape to protect the frame. It also narrows the gap, that the chain will not fit anymore between the chainring and the frame, like a chainguard.

T.R., conservationist
    The problem is not the chain dropping, it's that the chain jams fully when dropped that the only way to free it is pull the crank. You are stranded.

No tape, but I noted in my original post I had a chain catcher installed after this second.. we will see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The problem is not the chain dropping, it's that the chain jams fully when dropped that the only way to free it is pull the crank. You are stranded.

No tape, but I noted in my original post I had a chain catcher installed after this second.. we will see.
    Sorry to hear about this, and now I'm getting paranoid about it so might look into the chain catcher and/or tape. One thing I'm glad of is that I swapped out my crank assembly last year (for a FSA 46/30) and the work was done by a TdF-level mechanic at the shop where I bought it. No shifting problems whatsoever since then (although, given where I ride, the bike stays on the big ring almost all the time).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017

Ok, I got it. You are not looking for a solution, you just wanna blame someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    Sorry to hear about this, and now I'm getting paranoid about it so might look into the chain catcher and/or tape. ....
    Don't be paranoid.
    If you don't have shifting problem, the chain will not drop. And if the chain is not dropping, it will not jam.
    If your chain drops, it is just important immediately to stop pedaling. It only jams if you keep on pedaling. And if it jams to have the right tool with you to remove the crank.
    When I jammed my chain, it was in a group ride and it was my fault, that I continued pedaling. But with my multi tool I could losen the crank and free the chain in minutes.
    To prevent that happen again and protect my frame, I closed the gap between frame and inner chainring, so the chain can not jam anymore.

But like I said before, the root cause was a bad adjusted front derailleur. And since I fixed that, the chain never dropped again.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567