Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

VR Series

89K views 184 replies 23 participants last post by  robertzabinski85 
#1 ·
I couldn't believe it when I saw some info on this new line the other day. If I were to have written down my list of what my ideal bike would be, but which nobody seemed to make, it would have read like the VR specs! It looks like it hits on all points: carbon frame for reasonably light weight and designed for smoothness over a variety of road surfaces; able to take wide tires up to 700x35 or more (specs to 700x30, but wider will fit); low-range gearing with a 46-30 "subcompact" crank; Shimano 11-speed drivetrain with hydraulic disc brakes; thru-axles; fully internal cable routing; and extras such as able to mount fenders (!) and mounting points for a top-tube accessory box.

Now all I have to do is find a local dealer where I can get one (not that easy in my area). I'll be looking for the VR5, which has 105 components and goes for about $2500. The VR3 would be a nice upgrade for Ultegra and other components, but not worth the additional $1200 to me. There's also a VR4, but I'm not interested in a 1x drivetrain.

Anyone else looking at this Z-bike replacement model?

#84 ·
Finally got out for a quick ride. I like the bike (VR5). I knew what I was purchasing, so not complaining, but I never moved the front derailleur from the larger of the two rings in the crankset (not sure, am I using the proper terms). Wondering if I can change out the cranskset for one that has a higher count?

Of course with all this said, I probably only experienced an elevation change of 500 feet.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much everyone for responding to all my questions!!!

#85 · (Edited)
... Wondering if I can change out the cranskset for one that has a higher count?...
Yes you can.
Just change the Chainrings.
FSA offering chain rings for that crank in all common gear ratio.
46/30 (you probably have)
50/34
53/36
53/39

If you wat to change the whole crank set. Consider it has a 30mm spindle.

... but I never moved the front derailleur from the larger of the two rings in the crankset (not sure, am I using the proper terms)....
Is that bad?
This is one of the points why I didn't wanted 50/34 or 52/36.
With 46/30 right from the start on the big ring and only for the real climbs on the small. Mainly shifting in the rear and only occasionally in the front. :D
Close to 1x11, just with the wider range and more narrow gradation.

:)

#87 ·
Just returned from my first extended trip on my VR5 and am happy with everything about it. For one thing, the roads in southern PA and MD are far hillier than anything I ever encounter where I live, and the VR5 did great -- much better than my previous go-to road bike. I'm not strong on hills, however, and am not sorry that I'll soon be installing a 46-30 crank to replace the 48-32, finally making my VR5 more like the rest of the range! I did get into my lowest gear (32/32) a couple times, but made it over the top each time while staying seated.

The bike also worked well in all road conditions. It was mostly paved asphalt with one day of light drizzle. There was one section of a mile on a badly rutted unpaved road, and the last day was on an unpaved canal towpath. The bike did great on all surfaces and was very smooth on the somewhat bumpy towpath. I probably didn't need to have gone with the 700x32 tires, but at the time I was concerned about the towpath being muddy as it has been in the past.

It's been a perfect choice for me so far!

#88 ·
I'm moving next week. I put a deposit on a 58cm VR30 that's in stock at my destination. I can hardly wait to pick it up!

So, why the VR30?
* In budget
* Low gears (!!!)
* Nice endurance frame design
* 6061 Aluminum
* 105 hardware
* Hydraulic discs
* Tubeless ready rims
* Handles 32+ tires
* 21.25 lbs. at this price point

Low gears, hydraulic brakes, and a relaxed position were "must haves" as I'm an older guy just getting back into riding and - there is a half-mile 15% grade of rough pavement to get to my house. I need a good hill climber - and hill descender.

At my first recent trip to a bike shop, the guy recommended a fitness bike and I tried out a Specialized Sirrus Sport with a 32f 34r setup. On a steep local hill, even that was a bit high. A 34-32 would have me walking up the hill home.

I realized that after a few months I'd wish for drop bars. And I saw that one can spin out a 105 setup with a caliper extender and an 11-40 cassette. With a 30-40 setup, you literally have a walking cadence (5ft per rotation). If you can walk it, you could ride it with those gears. Nothing else offered the small crank, hydraulics, and 105 in an endurance bike at this price.

If I were to step down, I'd be looking at the Giant Contend SL Disc 1 or the GT Grade Alloy 105, but I'd lose the small crank. If I were to step up, I'd be looking at the Trek Domane S5, Giant Defy Advanced 1 or the Felt VR5, but that's a lot of bike for somebody just getting back into riding.

The bottom line is that the VR30 has no peer for my requirements. I only wish that it had the green paint of the VR40/VR3. As long as the fit of the 58 is good (I'm 6-1.5), I expect to be happy. It should be great on the secondary streets and gravel fire roads of my new home in Southern Oregon.

#90 ·
I realized that after a few months I'd wish for drop bars. And I saw that one can spin out a 105 setup with a caliper extender and an 11-40 cassette. With a 30-40 setup, you literally have a walking cadence (5ft per rotation). If you can walk it, you could ride it with those gears. Nothing else offered the small crank, hydraulics, and 105 in an endurance bike at this price.
I agree with you on all the good points about the VR series. In you paragraph above, I think you meant to say "derailleur extender." Do you have an example of one of these? Also, what cassette would you use that has 11-40 gearing and is compatible with Shimano road 11-speed shifting?

I'm also hoping that your "half mile 15%" grade is another typo, as I can't imagine myself trying to get up a climb like that :eek:. If I ever get down to walking speed going up a hill, I think I'd just get off and walk -- it would probably be easier! :D

And your bike should do well on secondary roads and fire roads, while also doing quite well on the best roads as well!

#89 ·
Some questions to experienced VR owners:
1) Is the front end on the stiff side?
2) Do you recommend upgrading to CF handlebars?
3) If so, what do you recommend that fits?

The reason I mention it is that the forks look to be straight and steep. that tells me that it's stiff for great control, but not that compliant. In one of the Felt videos, the male rider's hands were juddering when on gravel.

Thanks for any and all replies!

(Yeah, I haven't received the bike yet and am already shopping upgrades, but it would be nice to know what to get if I want more hand comfort. And yes, I'll try various tire pressures first.)

#91 ·
Some questions to experienced VR owners:
1) Is the front end on the stiff side?
2) Do you recommend upgrading to CF handlebars?
3) If so, what do you recommend that fits?

The reason I mention it is that the forks look to be straight and steep. that tells me that it's stiff for great control, but not that compliant. In one of the Felt videos, the male rider's hands were juddering when on gravel.
Seems like there are limits to the compliance you can get from any unsprung fork. I wouldn't want things too loosey-goosey down there! That said, I found it to be more comfortable than expected when I rode it last week on a section of semi-improved canal towpath that I had also ridden the previous year on my hybrid with hydraulic forks. The big bumps are going to come through more sharply, but it did a good job at smoothing out the overall roughness. In any case, it was sufficiently smooth at the bars.

I haven't had any experience with CF bars on this bike, but will comment that the OEM bars have the most comfortable grip position in the drops that I've experienced compared to my last two road bikes (I've always stuck with the OEM bars). If I went with CF I'd look for one with matching geometry.

#94 ·
I did some calculations. At 220 lbs of rider+bike+clothes+helmet riding 0.4 miles with a rise of 300 feet, here are the results:

Pedaling at 80 rpm with the super-granny 30-40 setup, you burn 294W and go 4.6 MPH for just over five minutes.

Pedaling at 80 rpm with a compact 34-32, you would burn 417W(!) for just over 3-1/2 minutes at 6.6 MPH.

Slow it down to 60 RPM and the super granny you would burn 221W at about 3.5 MPH. With the compact, 60 RPM costs 312 W at 4.9 MPH.

A novice rider would really need to crunch a slow cadence to take a compact set up that grade. The super-granny makes the climb sound achievable.

#95 ·
Jon, I'm an engineer myself and one of the things that got me fired up about the VR series is this video on their web site that explains how the frame design and other features work: Technology | Introducing the VR

Not to keep raving about this bike, but yesterday I tried some different conditions on a mile-long stretch of a bike path that goes through a wetlands area (politically correct term for "swamp"). There are several sections of boardwalk along it, and over the years the boards have become warped and cupped so that it's pretty much of a "washboard road" effect. In fact, it was so rough on my last ride through there that I haven't used it in over a year.

Well, the VR5 went through there more smoothly by far than I was expecting! It was definitely more comfortable than my hybrid, which has a suspension fork but also an aluminum frame, which probably explains the difference. That's still no help if you run over a nail-pop, but I stayed lucky this time. :D

#98 ·
Hi All,

I am very interested in the VR30. I actually ordered a Breezer Inversion Team yesterday (team deal), but they are totally out of stock from Breezer. Bummed. So, I'm now looking at the VR30, the new Diverge Comp E5, and the Diamond Back Haanjo Trail (spec'd very well, but kinda looks like a clown bike).

I rode a VR40 today and although it's lower down in the line, it was very nice. I'm specifically looking for a gravel bike.

For those of you that own a VR, do you feel that this bike can truly be considered a gravel bike? Or is it more of an endurance bike that can go on gravel well? I'll be putting bigger tires first off.

Any advice you guys can offer? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Brandon

#99 ·
For those of you that own a VR, do you feel that this bike can truly be considered a gravel bike? Or is it more of an endurance bike that can go on gravel well? ...
Oh boy, do I love those marketing terms. :mad2:
What is Gravel? What is Endurance? ...
By the bike you like most and suites your need.
And if you tell us your needs, we can tell you if the VR can fit those.

Comparing the Breezer Inversion and the Felt VR, both are made for a stabile and comfortable ride.
:)

#106 ·
I just got back from the shop with my new FSA Modular Adventure 46/30 crankset installed. If you have a VR2, this is what came on your bike, but it's an upgrade for my VR5. Also saves 235 grams!

The dealer told me that he hadn't sold any more (or few) bikes like mine or higher (VR2-VR5), but that the aluminum VR30s and VR40s are selling well. Their price-point seems to hit a sweet spot in the local market (this is not a high-end road bike area).

#139 ·
How's the 46/30 on the VR5 working out?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a VR5 or a VR4. I like the lower gearing of the VR4, but not particularly excited about the 1x chainring. Going your route, and changing the VR5 to 46/30, seems like the best option for me. Are you finding you have sufficiently low gearing for challenging climbs?

I just got back from the shop with my new FSA Modular Adventure 46/30 crankset installed. If you have a VR2, this is what came on your bike, but it's an upgrade for my VR5. Also saves 235 grams!

The dealer told me that he hadn't sold any more (or few) bikes like mine or higher (VR2-VR5), but that the aluminum VR30s and VR40s are selling well. Their price-point seems to hit a sweet spot in the local market (this is not a high-end road bike area).

#107 ·
Nice! I'm waiting till they become in stock in the UK and I'll be ordering one for my VR30. I've had my VR for 6 months now and I absolutely love it! In fact I have just sold my carbon Felt road bike because I enjoy riding my VR that much! I've got a new second set of wheels, DT Swiss R23 spline DB fitted with Schwalbe 30mm s-one tyres and then have some 35mm Schwalbe g-one tyres fitted onto the original wheels. Seems perfect to switch from road/light gravel set-up to heavier gravel set-up. I've also changed the bars and stem as I felt the 35mm diameter spec, as standard, was too stiff when riding gravel. I wanted a bit more flex so dropped down to a more conventional 31.8mm bar and stem combo.

#108 ·
I have the stock +/- 6 degree stem (100mm), but believe I want to ride in a more upright position. I found a +/- 25 degree stem, but that sounds a little drastic. Is anyone riding a stem somewhere in between - was thinking maybe a 12 degree stem, assuming there is such a thing? I believe there are adjustable stems, but not interested in those (I don't know, just don't think I would like it).

BTW, the 6 degree is fine for 20- 25 miles or so, but typically like to ride about 50 miles.

Thanks so much!

#110 ·
Thanks!!! I found a couple of manufacturers.

I can get both 10 and 17 degree. I am thinking 17 sounds about right. I have been told, (paraphrasing): To keep the same reach (of a 6 degree 100mm stem), you would want to go with a 110mm length. The 110mm at 17 degree would give you the same reach and bring the bars 2.2 cm higher.

2.2 cm does not sound like much, but am guessing it is more than I think. Just need to decide if I want to shorten the reach (stay at 100mm).

#111 ·
2 cm is a lot, that's typical of the difference between a race oriented frame and a relaxed 'endurance' frame so I think you will notice a big difference. I would hold reach constant for now so you aren't messing with too much all at once. If you haven't looked at them yet craigslist and ebay are good sources to find stems inexpensively from new bike take offs or people like you that are experimenting with their fit. I usually consider $40 or below a good price for a name brand aluminum stem.

#113 · (Edited)
Somehow I come not to an end with my bike. :rolleyes:
Last month I had a lot of maintenance to do.
Ok, break bleeding and changing pads is normal task.
But I also had already to replace the bar tape (Lizard Skin), which some how was worn off very fast and was getting ugly. Changed now to a all black (boring) Fabric tape. At least I becoming very experienced in wrapping handle bars. :D
The Schwalbe rear tire is also already gone. After some trail and dirt roads It got a 12mm cut, which wouldn't seal reliable. I replaced it with the same tire, but as soon there is a good alternative I will switch (I don't like Schwalbe).
And now i also had to replace the seatpost. Even using a torque wrench, the screwing of the head break out. I wrote to 3T, but now answer yet. So I got a new post, which also solved the cracking I observed the last weeks. :cool:

Yesterday on a sunny, warm and quiet evening ride. :thumbsup:

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

#114 · (Edited)
Darn-it, the LBS ordered the wrong stem, did not fit the handlebar. They ordered a 31.8mm stem, but the VR5 came with a 35mm handlebar (wonder if this is a non-standard size. Will have to wait some more

I am picking up my bike from my LBS today- took it in for the initial maintenance (about 200 miles). Just minor adjustments needed. Also purchased the 110mm 17 degree stem. This will supposedly provide about a 2.2 cm higher, with the same reach. I think they simply installed a generic stem, probably equivalent quality to OEM. If I am not happy, they will order and install a different stem, maybe a 100 mm 17 degree to shorten the reach slightly. I will keep you posted. Thanks!

Thinking about installing fatter tires, maybe 32-35 CM - sounds like they should fit no problem. Want to take the bike more off road, instead of the trails I am currently riding.

#115 ·
Darn-it, the LBS ordered the wrong stem, did not fit the handlebar. They ordered a 31.8mm stem, but the VR5 came with a 35mm handlebar (wonder if this is a non-standard size. Will have to wait some more

Thinking about installing fatter tires, maybe 32-35 CM - sounds like they should fit no problem. Want to take the bike more off road, instead of the trails I am currently riding.
I only noticed the bar diameter when I bought an accessory that fits a max 31.8 bar and couldn't figure out why it didn't work until I measured the bar!

I've got 32s on mine with clearance left, although if I had it to do over I might have gotten tires with more of an off-road tread. The Conti 4 Seasons do well enough, but not so great in really loose/sandy/slippery stuff, especially up an incline. But for most of the normal dirt/gravel roads in the area they work fine.

#116 ·
I have to update my post. I have NOT been able to find a stem that has a 100/110mm reach with a 17 degree angle AND WITH A 35mm CLAMP. My LBS could also not find a stem that fits the bike. Do I have to purchase new handlebars just to purchase a new stem? I have texted Felt and have not yet received a response. I will keep everyone posted if anyone is interested.

#118 · (Edited)
#120 ·
Changing out the stem

Here is the response from Felt, regarding a 17 degree stem:

Unfortunately at this time, we do not offer VR stems with a 17-degree rise--they are only available in a +- 6-degree rise. If you're looking specifically for a 17-degree stem, you will have to replace the handlebar, unfortunately.

#126 ·
Cleaned the bike, changed the chain and mounted the fenders.
The fenders are very easy to install and hope they will do their job.
Ready for the dark and nasty time of the year. :skep:
tobsn, I'm always envious of how much time you have to ride your bike all year! I put in far too few miles and now it's put away for a few months. :(

What brand of fenders are those? Were they easy to mount? I seem to remember that Felt was supposed to offer fenders specifically for these bikes.

I have a couple of adventures planned for next year where they might come in handy. The hybrid that I used to use on this type of ride had a rear rack on it that acted as a decent rear fender (kept my back clean!), but I'm not using anything like that on the VR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.