Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VR Series

RoadBikeReview Member

VR Series

I couldn't believe it when I saw some info on this new line the other day. If I were to have written down my list of what my ideal bike would be, but which nobody seemed to make, it would have read like the VR specs! It looks like it hits on all points: carbon frame for reasonably light weight and designed for smoothness over a variety of road surfaces; able to take wide tires up to 700x35 or more (specs to 700x30, but wider will fit); low-range gearing with a 46-30 "subcompact" crank; Shimano 11-speed drivetrain with hydraulic disc brakes; thru-axles; fully internal cable routing; and extras such as able to mount fenders (!) and mounting points for a top-tube accessory box.

Now all I have to do is find a local dealer where I can get one (not that easy in my area). I'll be looking for the VR5, which has 105 components and goes for about $2500. The VR3 would be a nice upgrade for Ultegra and other components, but not worth the additional $1200 to me. There's also a VR4, but I'm not interested in a 1x drivetrain.

Anyone else looking at this Z-bike replacement model?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I definitely want to see one. I went to my local Felt dealer to find out that the are now doing Specialized, Giant and Cannondale only. They had 1 Felt mountain bike on closeout and won't be getting the new one. Very upsetting. I know there is another Felt dealer about a half hour from where I work so they are my next target.

There are a lot of very interesting endurance bikes out this year but the VR is the one most suited to my ideals. I want to see it before anything else. The VR4 and VR6 look great on the website. I'm curious to see that paint in person.

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    I couldn't believe it when I saw some info on this new line the other day. If I were to have written down my list of what my ideal bike would be, but which nobody seemed to make, it would have read like the VR specs! It looks like it hits on all points: carbon frame for reasonably light weight and designed for smoothness over a variety of road surfaces; able to take wide tires up to 700x35 or more (specs to 700x30, but wider will fit); low-range gearing with a 46-30 "subcompact" crank; Shimano 11-speed drivetrain with hydraulic disc brakes; thru-axles; fully internal cable routing; and extras such as able to mount fenders (!) and mounting points for a top-tube accessory box.

Now all I have to do is find a local dealer where I can get one (not that easy in my area). I'll be looking for the VR5, which has 105 components and goes for about $2500. The VR3 would be a nice upgrade for Ultegra and other components, but not worth the additional $1200 to me. There's also a VR4, but I'm not interested in a 1x drivetrain.

Anyone else looking at this Z-bike replacement model?
    When we developed the bike we tried to envision every possible road scenario that a consumer may encounter. Note the VR5 comes with a 48/32t crankset because the 46/30t wasn't available in the aluminum crank that comes with that model.

-SD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    I like Felt. I was looking at a VR3 the other day. It's at the top end of what I consider do-able all in one go. I really like the paint scheme on the VR3 in person. I do tend to prefer more subtle colors. I'm probably going to get hit by a car. If I could get the VR3 with the Ui2 kit for that price, I would be happy. $5499 for the VR2 is annoying. Plus (IMHO) the VR3 is prettier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

VR3 wheels not tubeless ready?

I'm looking at the VR3, as it is almost perfect for my needs too (and I agree the color is much better than the VR2).

The one thing I am disappointed with though (and the Felt rep on this thread can hopefully correct me) is that the 3T wheels on the VR3 do not appear to be tubeless compatible?

That seems like a strange choice on this bike, especially as those on the VR2 are, and the VR4 comes out of the box with a tubeless setup.
    Last edited by mappicus; 09-16-2016 at 07:26 AM. Reason: added title

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdave3T View Post
    Note the VR5 comes with a 48/32t crankset because the 46/30t wasn't available in the aluminum crank that comes with that model.

-SD
    Yeah, I noticed that and was a bit bummed when I found that it couldn't be changed. I'm sure the cranks on the VR2&3 cost too much to be worth the upgrade. So I'll attack it at the other end: IRD makes a compatible 12-34 cassette that would yield about the same ratio for the lowest gear. That would exceed the derailleur capacity spec by one tooth, but it's been done and shown to work OK.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    By the way, Dave, can you confirm the date that the VR5s will be available from the warehouse? My dealer said October 13 but I'd like further confirmation.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    I have a VR3 on order. I saw that for about a week they switched the color palettes of the VR2 and VR3 but are now back to the original colors (VR2 is black and blue with an orange accent/VR3 is black and lime yellow).

I'm really psyched to ride it and it can't come here soon enough. I'm coming from a Felt F4C that was stolen so I'm really curious how much the endurance geometry helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I ordered my VR5 on Friday, and am also hoping it gets here so I can get a few rides in before the winter shutdown season.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliemike View Post
    I have a VR3 on order. I saw that for about a week they switched the color palettes of the VR2 and VR3 but are now back to the original colors (VR2 is black and blue with an orange accent/VR3 is black and lime yellow).

I'm really psyched to ride it and it can't come here soon enough. I'm coming from a Felt F4C that was stolen so I'm really curious how much the endurance geometry helps.
    I ordered my VR5 on Friday, and am also hoping it gets here so I can get a few rides in before the winter shutdown season.

Congrats to both of you. I think those are both very nice bikes. I hope you will post a pic and tell us how they ride once you've had a chance to break 'em in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

VR3 arrived on Friday!

I ordered a VR3 a few weeks ago. Excited to get the call from my local LBS on Friday, and took it out for its maiden ride this morning. Pics and notes:
    Felt VR3 | Gyrovia

VR Series-img_1675.jpg

Awesome bike! I will immediately be swapping out the wheels for tubeless DT Swiss but otherwise the spec is excellent.

Mappicus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mappicus View Post
    I ordered a VR3 a few weeks ago. Excited to get the call from my local LBS on Friday, and took it out for its maiden ride this morning.
    Awesome bike! I will immediately be swapping out the wheels for tubeless DT Swiss but otherwise the spec is excellent.

Mappicus
    Glad to hear it!! I hope that means that my VR5 will be here soon! For some reason I'm still bummed that the VR5 has a 48/32 crank instead of the 46/30 on most other models, but I'm sure that I can convince you that the 48/32 is SO superior that you will be wanting to swap cranks with me. :-)

Let me know how the Rubino Pro tires work for you -- that's also what will be on mine. I will be riding on paved roads and trails, unpaved rail-trails, and (often hilly) dirt/gravel roads in my area.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Let me know how the Rubino Pro tires work for you -- that's also what will be on mine. I will be riding on paved roads and trails, unpaved rail-trails, and (often hilly) dirt/gravel roads in my area.
    Based on my initial ride I think they will be good for unpaved rail trail type paths, but not for hilly dirt. They are a wide road tire, and look to have a light construction with minimal tread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Based on my initial ride I think they will be good for unpaved rail trail type paths, but not for hilly dirt. They are a wide road tire, and look to have a light construction with minimal tread.
    I looked at the Vittoria web site and apparently the 700x28 size is specifically designed with better flat protection than the 23 & 25 sizes, which is good -- I just won't put up with flat-prone tires any more.

I'm waiting to contact my dealer for a few days yet. You're in CA, close to the where the bikes are imported/warehoused. For me it could take a few days for cross-country shipping to Michigan. It's also possible that not all models will arrive at the same time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    It doesn't help that Felt doesn't know what they're doing. Mappicus has his bike already and my LBS is being told they aren't releasing the VR3 orders yet.

It's not really that hard to keep track of this.

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    It doesn't help that Felt doesn't know what they're doing. Mappicus has his bike already and my LBS is being told they aren't releasing the VR3 orders yet.
    It's not really that hard to keep track of this.
    You sure about that? Did your LBS place their order for immediate shipment? Are they delinquent on payment? What are the terms for being a Felt Dealer for the next season? Are they in compliance of the latest dealer agreement? There are a dozen factors that could lead to delivery at one dealer and an apparent lack of delivery at another.

When you contacted Felt about your specific order what did they say? Who did you contact at Felt?

-SD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdave3T View Post
    You sure about that? Did your LBS place their order for immediate shipment? Are they delinquent on payment? What are the terms for being a Felt Dealer for the next season? Are they in compliance of the latest dealer agreement? There are a dozen factors that could lead to delivery at one dealer and an apparent lack of delivery at another.

When you contacted Felt about your specific order what did they say? Who did you contact at Felt?

-SD
    The LBS is definitely in good standing. They have had no issues with other manufacturers including Specialized as they got one of the first of the new Roubaix on the road. They were invited to ride the VR2 not that long ago. I ordered the bike in mid September and the LBS asked Felt to immediately ship.

I didn't call Felt, the LBS did and spoke to two different people who gave two different answers, both of which are wrong as Mappicus already has his bike.

Thanks for responding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I ordered a VR3 a few weeks ago. Excited to get the call from my local LBS on Friday, and took it out for its maiden ride this morning.

Mappicus
    Mappicus, can you tell me exactly what components comprise your Rotor crankset? I don't know why I'm so fixated on having a 46/30 instead of 48/32 crank, but I'm already looking at making a swap after my VR5 gets here (still no word from my dealer and they say that Felt is "looking into it."

Anyway, I've seen some posts recently about a new Rotor "Spidering" crank gear set which is a one-piece, boltless 46/30 gear set. Is that by chance what's on yours? I know that one barrier to the 30-tooth gear is having to have a BCD less than 110mm, so apparently this is Rotor's answer to that.

grit.cx | Eurobike 2016 ? Rotor Spidering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    That's a really good question because Rotor lists the 3D30 crank as having a bolt on gear but the official Felt photos make it look like it's one piece on the gear side. My thought is that Felt got Rotor to build a crank that's one piece on the gear side to save costs and have the specific gear ratio.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    It is a one-piece, boltless 46/30 spider and rings. I cannot easily see whether the whole thing is detachable from the crank/spindle or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    It is a one-piece, boltless 46/30 spider and rings. I cannot easily see whether the whole thing is detachable from the crank/spindle or not.
    My guess is that it's two pieces - crank, spider, gear, and "axle" (what Rotor calls it) on one side and then the other crank arm on the other. So that blows up my thought of getting a crank-based power meter but keeping the axle and gears. So it looks like it's either a whole new crank set or pedal based PMs. I'm inclined to do pedals simply because of the gearing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I inquired to Rotor about this and they said that it can replace the spider on any of their cranks and will be available to the aftermarket by the end of the year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just heard from my LBS that my bike is shipping today or Monday from CA, so I'll probably be going in for fitting and delivery the week after next. Maybe I'll get a ride or two in yet before the snow flies!

RoadBikeReview Member
    My guess is that it's two pieces - crank, spider, gear, and "axle" (what Rotor calls it) on one side and then the other crank arm on the other.
    No, it really is a one-piece, two-gear set that mounts on the splines on the crank axle in place of the spider. Take a look using the link I posted above and you'll see what I mean. The rest of the crankset is conventional.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    No, it really is a one-piece, two-gear set that mounts on the splines on the crank axle in place of the spider. Take a look using the link I posted above and you'll see what I mean. The rest of the crankset is conventional.
    Interesting. I am not the gearhead I used to be but I don't recall seeing that on roadbikes a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast