Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

VR Series

89K views 184 replies 23 participants last post by  robertzabinski85 
#1 ·
I couldn't believe it when I saw some info on this new line the other day. If I were to have written down my list of what my ideal bike would be, but which nobody seemed to make, it would have read like the VR specs! It looks like it hits on all points: carbon frame for reasonably light weight and designed for smoothness over a variety of road surfaces; able to take wide tires up to 700x35 or more (specs to 700x30, but wider will fit); low-range gearing with a 46-30 "subcompact" crank; Shimano 11-speed drivetrain with hydraulic disc brakes; thru-axles; fully internal cable routing; and extras such as able to mount fenders (!) and mounting points for a top-tube accessory box.

Now all I have to do is find a local dealer where I can get one (not that easy in my area). I'll be looking for the VR5, which has 105 components and goes for about $2500. The VR3 would be a nice upgrade for Ultegra and other components, but not worth the additional $1200 to me. There's also a VR4, but I'm not interested in a 1x drivetrain.

Anyone else looking at this Z-bike replacement model?

#2 · (Edited)
I definitely want to see one. I went to my local Felt dealer to find out that they are now doing Specialized, Giant and Cannondale only. They had 1 Felt mountain bike on closeout and won't be getting the new one. Very upsetting. I know there is another Felt dealer about a half hour from where I work so they are my next target.

There are a lot of very interesting endurance bikes out this year but the VR is the one most suited to my ideals. I want to see it before anything else. The VR4 and VR6 look great on the website. I'm curious to see that paint in person.

#6 ·
Note the VR5 comes with a 48/32t crankset because the 46/30t wasn't available in the aluminum crank that comes with that model.

-SD
Yeah, I noticed that and was a bit bummed when I found that it couldn't be changed. I'm sure the cranks on the VR2&3 cost too much to be worth the upgrade. So I'll attack it at the other end: IRD makes a compatible 12-34 cassette that would yield about the same ratio for the lowest gear. That would exceed the derailleur capacity spec by one tooth, but it's been done and shown to work OK.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I like Felt. I was looking at a VR3 the other day. It's at the top end of what I consider do-able all in one go. I really like the paint scheme on the VR3 in person. I do tend to prefer more subtle colors. I'm probably going to get hit by a car. :) If I could get the VR3 with the Ui2 kit for that price, I would be happy. $5499 for the VR2 is annoying. Plus (IMHO) the VR3 is prettier.

#5 · (Edited)
VR3 wheels not tubeless ready?

I'm looking at the VR3, as it is almost perfect for my needs too (and I agree the color is much better than the VR2).

The one thing I am disappointed with though (and the Felt rep on this thread can hopefully correct me) is that the 3T wheels on the VR3 do not appear to be tubeless compatible?

That seems like a strange choice on this bike, especially as those on the VR2 are, and the VR4 comes out of the box with a tubeless setup.

#8 ·
I have a VR3 on order. I saw that for about a week they switched the color palettes of the VR2 and VR3 but are now back to the original colors (VR2 is black and blue with an orange accent/VR3 is black and lime yellow).

I'm really psyched to ride it and it can't come here soon enough. I'm coming from a Felt F4C that was stolen so I'm really curious how much the endurance geometry helps.

#12 ·
I ordered a VR3 a few weeks ago. Excited to get the call from my local LBS on Friday, and took it out for its maiden ride this morning.
Awesome bike! I will immediately be swapping out the wheels for tubeless DT Swiss but otherwise the spec is excellent.

Mappicus
Glad to hear it!! I hope that means that my VR5 will be here soon! For some reason I'm still bummed that the VR5 has a 48/32 crank instead of the 46/30 on most other models, but I'm sure that I can convince you that the 48/32 is SO superior that you will be wanting to swap cranks with me. :)

Let me know how the Rubino Pro tires work for you -- that's also what will be on mine. I will be riding on paved roads and trails, unpaved rail-trails, and (often hilly) dirt/gravel roads in my area.

#16 ·
It doesn't help that Felt doesn't know what they're doing. Mappicus has his bike already and my LBS is being told they aren't releasing the VR3 orders yet.
It's not really that hard to keep track of this.
You sure about that? Did your LBS place their order for immediate shipment? Are they delinquent on payment? What are the terms for being a Felt Dealer for the next season? Are they in compliance of the latest dealer agreement? There are a dozen factors that could lead to delivery at one dealer and an apparent lack of delivery at another.

When you contacted Felt about your specific order what did they say? Who did you contact at Felt?

-SD

#19 ·
That's a really good question because Rotor lists the 3D30 crank as having a bolt on gear but the official Felt photos make it look like it's one piece on the gear side. My thought is that Felt got Rotor to build a crank that's one piece on the gear side to save costs and have the specific gear ratio.

#21 ·
My guess is that it's two pieces - crank, spider, gear, and "axle" (what Rotor calls it) on one side and then the other crank arm on the other. So that blows up my thought of getting a crank-based power meter but keeping the axle and gears. So it looks like it's either a whole new crank set or pedal based PMs. I'm inclined to do pedals simply because of the gearing.

#28 ·
Pics of clearance with Schwalbe S-One

I've switched the wheels/tires on my VR3 to DT Swiss R-23 Spline DB and Schwalbe S-One 30mm tubeless tires. The tires measure right at 30mm on these rims, and there is tons of clearance:
Tints and shades Iron Composite material Metal Material property
Grey Bicycle part Bicycle tire Carbon Bicycle frame
Black Synthetic rubber Carbon Tights Bicycle part

Certainly won't have a problem with 35 or 36mm tires in the future. 38mm might be pushing it. The tightest spot is at the chainstays.

BTW the stock wheels and tires are on eBay if anyone is interested: 3T Discus C35 Pro Wheelset - Ridden twice - wide aero rims, disk brake ready | eBay and Vittoria Rubino Pro 700c 28mm 2 tires (1 pair) 2016 - Ridden TWICE | eBay
Both are really nice, the only reason I didn't stick with them is wanting to try tubeless.

#29 ·
You may want to post them on Pinkbike better people to deal with at that price they should go quick

#30 · (Edited)
Picked up my VR5 today, and it looks great! I can only say "looks" since the weather will keep me from riding it until Friday, so I put it on the stand in my shop to take a closer look at the details. Appearance-wise, I like the natural carbon satin black better than I expected, and the blue accents are more extensive and stand out better than they do in a straight side picture. There are a lot of interesting things going on in the frame design that I'm beginning to appreciate as I examine it.

The 700x28 Vittoria Rubino Pros measure an actual 29mm max and there is tons of room for wider tires. Continental GP 4 Seasons are available in 700x32 now and I might consider those for better unpaved road performance.

My previous road bike is about 8 years old, so I was impressed by the fully concealed cables on this bike -- very clean looking. I was thinking about later changing the 48/32 crank to the minimal 46/30. It does look like there is enough travel on the mounting bracket to move the FD down the required ~4mm, so that idea is still in play.

One thing I noted is that this is my first thru-axle bike and it's apparent that I'll have to make sure that whatever multi-tool I'm carrying has a 6mm hex key! My usual road-bike tool only goes up to 5mm and is also a bit small to easily crank the 10 Nm torque that they specify.

I'll post more of a ride report later. At my age this might well be the last serious road bike that I buy before heading off into e-bike land, and right now it looks like I made the right choice!

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

#36 ·
After looking for a bike that could connect some good road-biking roads through several miles of rough gravel roads, I settled on the VR4 (about 90% good roads to 10% bad). The Zipp wheels with the ability to take 32mm tubeless tires and a 1x chainring, as it's mostly flat here, are perfect.
I had almost settled on the Specialized Diverge, plus had looked at some others, but am so tired of the black-on-black. Usually color is not my big thing but the looks of this red bike was a big factor in putting down on it even though delivery is not until January... I guess there's demand.
Then my wife got so stoked she put down for a VR4W, which is a white model... our Christmas presents.
I've ordered a carbon bar so that, and going tubeless, look to be only changes. I feel Felt is onto something with this model as they look to have done this bike right. Another nice feature that I heard about is the accents and print on the bike are supposed to be reflective. Great safety feature.
Anyone else ridden either of these two models yet?

#37 ·
Another nice feature that I heard about is the accents and print on the bike are supposed to be reflective. Great safety feature.
Take a look about 6 posts back at the photo of my VR5 taken with flash in my dark garage. The bar tape is what really lights up (that's not white bar tape!), plus the logo on the fork legs and possibly some other details. The graphic on the downtube is not reflective.

Anyway, congrats on your purchases. I also liked the red, but really need the extra gear range and spacing of the double in front. I might also be "too old" to learn and get used to SRAM-style shifting. :D

#40 ·
Hello and welcome from Texas!!! I think you are going to be very happy with that VR5, I am very excited about this line of bikes.

Actually, I wasn't able to pick up and ride my VR4 today as after I got to the bike shop I was called home due to a nearby grassfire. I did get to look at it, the red on it is beatiful! I am pleased as I can be with this bike, just can't wait to ride it.

Concerning the Prologo saddle, it seems like it would be comfortable It seems wide enough to offer decent sit-bone support with firm but discernible padding so the three point connection should be comfortable. But honestly I only gave it passing attention as I have a Brooks destined for this bike. I am not young and prefer the wide, sling like support that it will provide in order to have the best chance of avoiding interference with my 'top tube' function.
;)
Please post some pics of that VR5 if you get it and Happy New Year!

#43 ·
Interesting that Felt is an also mentioned brand in the big bike shops around here. No one seems to feature them but from what I've read Felt invests in R&D and not marketing. That sounds good to me. The warranty, reviews, and track record encouraged me with the purchase of this brand..

Can't comment on your sizing, but I would think your shop can guide you best on that. The relaxed geometry and wide tires should improve your ride quality dramatically over that rigid Madone.

From the reading I've done, the carbon bars are a necessary upgrade. I have carbon bars on nearly all my other bikes and they make a huge difference decreasing vibration.

My opinion is this bike will not be the rate limiting factor in your endeavor to increase the distances you ride.. but then again, the bikes rarely are.

#44 ·
From the reading I've done, the carbon bars are a necessary upgrade. I have carbon bars on nearly all my other bikes and they make a huge difference decreasing vibration.
Carbon bars would be a nice upgrade, but in my experience the wider tires at a reasonable pressure eliminates any vibrations that I can notice. I really think that this bike is the smoothest road bike that I've personally been on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.