Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Z Series

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TM-17 View Post

How is the sizing compared to others in the size range? I read a review on RPK that said Felts can be a pain/difficult to fit due to the way there frames are sized.
    Sounds like can just talk to your fitter before ordering to determine which size is best for you....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Hmm, not sure why there'd be a problem determining frame sizing. The shop I deal with didn't mention it and we determined the right size for me with no problems. I had done some research before hand and the size I figured I'd need was the right one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Any idea how much I should expect to pay for a 2011 Z85, if there's any to be found? And what it its a floor/demo bike...and its the last one...how much would you guys say off MSRP would be reasonable? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    $ 1100 ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by razredge View Post
    Any idea how much I should expect to pay for a 2011 Z85, if there's any to be found? And what it its a floor/demo bike...and its the last one...how much would you guys say off MSRP would be reasonable? Thanks.
    I was at Revolution Bike Shop in Solana Beach, CA earlier this month and they had a 2011 Z85. At least I think it was a 2011.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Umm none off of retail? Because someone will buy it unless theyre in a hurry to move it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    did you call the shop? asking for discount over the phone is unorthodox in my opinion. walk in to deal (wherever you go) and if it's a small shop, bring cash money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I also recently bought a 2012 Z6. I had a giant defy 3 for a few years and decided it was time for an upgrade from my $700 entry level bike. I tested out several other bikes when looking for one but ended up trying to decide between the Z6 and Giant defy composite 3. They are almost identical in components and drivetrain and rode almost the same as well. Ended up with the felt simply because I liked the look of it better. I also took a look at a 2011 model defy advanced 3 which was selling for a couple hundred $ more than the felt and composite. Decided against it but am wondering if I should have spent the extra money to get the 105 gear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    i don't think you should have and I am not saying that because I have a 2012 Z6. The differences are so small to me and unless I look down and see that it says 105, I wouldn't know. That and the internal cable routing. I think you made a good choice. You can always upgrade as things wear out or buy another bike in a few years. Make the Z6 the trainer bike.

Felt Bicycles
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    Dave, will 28mm wide tires fit front/rear on the Z4?

Saw the Z4 at the LBS this weekend and was blown away by what a gorgeous bike it was. Nice job!
    28mm tires will pass through the frame but not the brake calipers.
    -SD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I just bought z75 with shimano 105 and love it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a new Z6. Just love riding it. So smooth and responsive. I turned it over to get the serial number so I could register the warranty, and I saw two metal threaded screw holes in the bottom of the left chain stay.

Are those to add a kick stand? Are they for production purposes? What are the the two screw holes under the left chainstay for?

And after a week of riding, I am ready to flip over the handlebar mount for a lower riding position (will leave the three spacers for now). How hard is that to do? LBS offers 30, 60, and 90 day adjustments, but if it is simple, I may do it sooner.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI Hoo View Post
    I have a new Z6. Just love riding it. So smooth and responsive. I turned it over to get the serial number so I could register the warranty, and I saw two metal threaded screw holes in the bottom of the left chain stay.

Are those to add a kick stand? Are they for production purposes? What are the the two screw holes under the left chainstay for?

And after a week of riding, I am ready to flip over the handlebar mount for a lower riding position (will leave the three spacers for now). How hard is that to do? LBS offers 30, 60, and 90 day adjustments, but if it is simple, I may do it sooner.
    The screws are for fitment of Ultegra or Dura Ace Di2 battery pack, I believe. I have them on my F4 also.
    Flipping the stem is easy. You should be able to do it yourself. Unbolt the bars, then take off the cap on the top of the stem. Loosen the stem bolts, slide the stem off, flip it over, slide it back on, torque the hex head bolts, put the stem cap back on and torque that hex bolt, then re-attach the bars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Ah so that's what those screw holes are for. Been wondering about that. Haven't flipped my handlebars yet but have taken out the spacers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    After about 100 miles, my rear hub on my one week old Z6 is now squeaking. It begins to squeak after riding 1/2 mile. At first, I didn't know what it was, but after I finished my ride, I flipped the bike over and turned the crank, and it is indeed the rear hub. Anyone have any quick solutions before I take it bake to the LBS? It is SO annoying to hear a squeak with every wheel revolution.
    It could just be the dust cover (rubber part) rubbing/sticking. I had that happening on my front wheel so I just pulled them off. Instead of pulling them off you could probably just rub some grease where they meet the hub.

RoadBikeReview Member

Squeaky rear hub on new Z6.

After about 100 miles, my rear hub on my one week old Z6 is now squeaking. It begins to squeak after riding 1/2 mile. At first, I didn't know what it was, but after I finished my ride, I flipped the bike over and turned the crank, and it is indeed the rear hub. Anyone have any quick solutions before I take it bake to the LBS? It is SO annoying to hear a squeak with every wheel revolution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have this same exact problem but it goes away on its own sometimes. It started 2 days ago, the next day I was going to ride to the LBS and get them to look at it but it was not doing it so I just went for a ride instead. The next day I went out and it started up at the end of that ride again. My bike has about 220 mi on it.

Just went and played with the rear hub, it is the rubber on the non drive side that keeps dirt from getting to the bearings. It sort of clicks into the hub and when the hub turns and the rubber does not it was making the noise. I think lubing (I used some dry teflon lube) the rubber where it meets the hub will solve the issue but will probably have to be done every so often, it will allow the hub to spin and the rubber not move. The rubber is very tight on the axle so its easier for it to spin at the hub.
    Last edited by jmorgan; 04-20-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    2012 Cervelo S5 Team
    2012 Felt Z6 (sold)

RoadBikeReview Member
    After another 20 mile ride today, the squeak continued, but then it stopped when I was riding in a downpour, and then when the rain stopped, the squeak came back. I took the bike to the LBS and, as was mentioned by Chico and jmorgan, it was the rubber cap on the rear hub. I tried silicone spray before my earlier ride, but that did not work.

At the LBS they put a few squirts of Pedro's Ice Wax inside the rubber cap. I checked the spoke tension, too. The Pedro's did the trick. We will see how often I have to do this, or if the rubber seal breaks in over time.

And it really is a piece of cake to flip over the stem. Just loosen the hex bolt for the cap, and take off the four bolts holding the bars. Flip the stem, and then reattach the 4 bolts for the bars and the bolt for the stem cap. At the shop they had a great Ritchey allen head tool that torques them the proper amount. Someday I will get that tool.

Thanks, everyone for the help. The Z6 is still really comfortable with stem lowered. I do feel that I am using more of my back muscles with the stem lowered. Now, we are having 2 days of deluge here on the East coast. Back to the eliptical for a few days.

EDIT: Pedro's Ice Wax only worked for one ride. So, I used old fashioned high temperature brake grease (for lubing caliper bolts on disc brakes on cars). So, far, it has lasted through 4 15-20 mile rides. And I bought the Ritchey tool from Amazon. Just added a 2nd bottle cage. It is a great tool for carbon frames and parts. Ride on.
    Last edited by TDI Hoo; 04-26-2012 at 05:55 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Z4 (2012) touch up paint

SD,
    I hope you are out here . I threw my chain during the Redbud Ride in Kentucky yesterday (awesome ride by the way). Unfortunately, the weather was atrocious and things got wet and muddy quick. Looks like my chain had some muddy grime on there when it hit the frame by the bottom bracket. In any case i ended up with a little paint chip and was hoping to be able to find some touch up paint to cover it up. Any ideas?

JP

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just got a great deal on a 2011 Z5, and rode a 35 mile charity ride yesterday. Coming from an aluminum Trek, the smooth ride was SOOOOO nice. I added my Easton EA90 SL wheels with Conti GP 4000s tires, so it accelerates and climbs pretty well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Today I bought a Z85. Monday I go in for a fitting. This is my first ever Road Bike and I am 69 years old. I had a test ride today and the ride compared to my old converted MTB was really different in a a good way. So much easier on an old engine. Hard to judge comfort with a short ride but of the other road bikes I tried to me it was the most comfortable. An added note this was the best value component wise of all those I tested.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Congrats on your purchase you're going to love the z. I can tell you from my experience it is a very comfortable ride. I have ride ALOT of 80 plus mile rides on this bike and despite having back problems I've always been comfortable on this bike. ENJOY.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I just bought a 2011 Z85 a couple weeks ago. I test rode a couple other bikes and was set to buy one of them. I went to the LBS to buy my chosen bike, and the Felt was sitting there on sale. It wasn't on my radar, but the price was good and it couldn't hurt to ride it. The salesguy was pushing them pretty hard (in a good way). This purchase was going to be my first real road bike.

I had just showered up after a 50 mile ride, but took the Felt out anyway. It was love at first ride. I felt like I could do another 50 miles right then and there.

I got a full fit with the bike, and the fitter flipped the stem so it was in the down position. I was a little turned off by this since this was my first pure road bike and my core strength is non existent most days and weak on a good day.

Well, it's turned out great. I absolutely love my Z85. I've done 3 group rides so far, and have gone from just about dead last on the climbs on my previous bike to middle of the pack with the Felt.

2 50+ mile rides on it and it still feels great.

I'm wondering how the white color of the seat and bar tape will hold up. I want to commute on this bike and make it my every day ride instead of just a weekend ride, but sometimes my commute entails a ride on a bus rack in the rain. I also don't want to put fenders on it. Maybe once the newness wears off and the fall rains come I'll feel ok about fenders and running on the front of a bus.

DEK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Miles42 & pmpski_1: Congrats on the new Z85s. I've had mine for 1+ years and still love it.

pmpski_1: The white saddle is holding up very well. It's actually the black portions of the saddle that are showing signs of wear. As for the bar tape, that will get dirty very quickly. I swapped the white for black tape within about a month.

Enjoy your new rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pmpski_1 View Post
    ....I'm wondering how the white color of the seat and bar tape will hold up. .....
    FWIW: I've never owned white bar tape, but I do use light colored tape. I use the Deda foam type tape, which is similar to every other foam tape I've ever used. I've had similar cleaning luck with conventional cork tape too.

I've had excellent luck just cleaning the tape with household cleaner (409 and such, citrus or non). Spray the tape liberally with the cleaner, let it sit a while, and then scrub it with a terry cloth towel or something that will give it a little scrubbing action w/o abrasion. I mean scrub it. Then I rinse liberally with clear water and wipe a couple of times to get the soap off. (I have an empty windex or 409 bottle with clear water).

My handlebar tape comes out looking like new - very clean, even if I've handled it with greasy hands (for instance after replacing a dropped chain on the road!).

Don't be afraid to use soap, water, and a little elbow grease to clean handlbar tape. But remember, soaking is as important as elbow grease. It's not fragile.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast