Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Z Series

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Brought my 2013 Z4 with Ultegra 10 spd about 18 months ago, done about 19,000 kms so far. Only replaced a couple of chains, rear cassette, but is getting due for chainrings (FSA crank set) and another chain. Its a great bike, does a bit of everything from all day rides to racing. I'm keeping this frame as long as I can and just keep replacing parts as they wear out. Z Series-11-nov-2013.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperdaveFelt View Post
    z70?
    -sd
    Yeah, that's it. Missed the sale. . .

RoadBikeReview Member
    This article has some details on the 2016 bikes, including the Z series. I'm looking at a Z4 Disc, so was interested in those specs, the main change that I saw being the use of Fulcrum wheels instead of the Mavics. And of course the $300 price increase :-(.

I just hope that, since I really like the 2015 color scheme, they don't change the 2016 colors to something that will make me wish I'd moved up my new-bike schedule by a few months!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    This article has some details on the 2016 bikes, including the Z series. I'm looking at a Z4 Disc, so was interested in those specs, the main change that I saw being the use of Fulcrum wheels instead of the Mavics. And of course the $300 price increase :-(.

I just hope that, since I really like the 2015 color scheme, they don't change the 2016 colors to something that will make me wish I'd moved up my new-bike schedule by a few months!
    I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 2015 Z4 disc at my LBS. There are few 2015's to be had. My LBS checked Felt's inventory and it said zero available so I started calling around the country using Felt's dealer locator. Found one 2015 at a shop in MA - and their price was $100 off $2,499. Asked my dealer to call their Felt rep and he "found" one that wasn't showing in inventory. Dealer said it was probably one they kept back for a possible warranty claim. I set out to get a Roubaix but was able to ride a 2014 Z4 and Roubaix and there just wasn't enough difference in ride to decide for sure but the Felt did feel like a better fit but I am sure the Roubaix could have been made to fit. Then I just poured into the details of components and overall value. I believe the Felt to be the winner there. Little details like a double clamp seatpost, FULL SRAM group, down to the crank, wheels are not super great but not house brand like Specialized. With this much coin on a bike value is very important to me plus I loved the color too and it's not matte either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was on my way to a weekend bike tour last Friday and stopped by the Felt dealer on the way. I was very impressed by him and his shop and, although they didn't have a Z4 Disc in stock, I was able to take a ride on another Z-model just to check the general feel of it. Then I asked him if he had any pictures of the 2016s yet and he was able to find them with his dealer access. Major disappointment!

I am not that fussy about the paint scheme on a bike and wouldn't buy one just for that reason, but the one paint scheme that does absolutely nothing for me is this trend toward matte black. So what is the color of the 2016 Z4 Disc? Matte carbon! I could even go for something like a nice gloss black, but I really don't want to ride a bike that looks like it's been painted in primer. There could even be a bit of a safety issue there -- not a good idea to ride a "stealth" bike.

So after spending the weekend on my Synapse, which after all I'm very comfortable on and is set up just the way I like it, when it comes down to it all the Z4 would offer me are the 11 speeds and disc brakes. So the color ends up being a deal breaker for me and I won't be buying a new bike for a while.

Quiet moderator
    I love matte black. Part of the reason I find Felt's visually appealing. Simple design and looks good. But to each his own. Felt has been putting out some amazing bikes the last several years.

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    I was on my way to a weekend bike tour last Friday and stopped by the Felt dealer on the way. I was very impressed by him and his shop and, although they didn't have a Z4 Disc in stock, I was able to take a ride on another Z-model just to check the general feel of it. Then I asked him if he had any pictures of the 2016s yet and he was able to find them with his dealer access. Major disappointment!

I am not that fussy about the paint scheme on a bike and wouldn't buy one just for that reason, but the one paint scheme that does absolutely nothing for me is this trend toward matte black. So what is the color of the 2016 Z4 Disc? Matte carbon! I could even go for something like a nice gloss black, but I really don't want to ride a bike that looks like it's been painted in primer. There could even be a bit of a safety issue there -- not a good idea to ride a "stealth" bike.

So after spending the weekend on my Synapse, which after all I'm very comfortable on and is set up just the way I like it, when it comes down to it all the Z4 would offer me are the 11 speeds and disc brakes. So the color ends up being a deal breaker for me and I won't be buying a new bike for a while.
    The Z4 Disc is gloss black with masked carbon areas.
    Did you check with your dealer about getting a 2015 in Silver?
    -SD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Hi Dave ,

On the Z5 2013 hubs
    (10 speed)
    Will they accept 11 speed cogs ?

I'm wanting to replace components to:
    Shimano's 11-speed Ultegra 6800 group

If I do have to change out the rear hub(wheel)

Will the Tiagra shifters and derailleur still work with the 11 speed ?

Thanks in advance !!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperdaveFelt View Post
    The Z4 Disc is gloss black with masked carbon areas.
    Did you check with your dealer about getting a 2015 in Silver?
    -SD
    Still too much of a"blacked-out" look for me and my timeline eliminates the 2015. Considering what I have in my current bike I was really jumping the gun to consider replacing it at this time. Maybe in a couple of years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Got a 2014 z6. Originally over 8 kg but have upgraded everything except front and back gear derailleurs and headset. Weight is now 6.4 kg w/o pedals

Best upgrades Wheels and crankset

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    [QUOTE=Piranha;4900613]Hi Dave ,

On the Z5 2013 hubs
    (10 speed)
    Will they accept 11 speed cogs ?

I'm wanting to replace components to:
    Shimano's 11

You'll need new hubs. Derailleurs operate on a different stroke but the FD may be able to work with limit screw and unconventional cable tension set up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Currently riding a 2016 Z5 with the standard Shimano 105 (11-speed) set-up. Considering changing out the cassette from something along the lines of a IRD 12-36.
    Any words of caution o wisdom?
    Thanks in advance.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567