Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Z Series

SoCal--S Beach to the Dam

Z Series

Not much talk about them on here and pretty much no reviews on them. Is there something wrong with them? I kinda like the looks of the Z3
    Carbon,Steel,Aluminum or Ti,who really cares as long as we ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I have a z85 and love it. I have 1500 miles on it and have had no problems.It has been comfortable on every distance I have ridden from 25 miles to 105 miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    True, there isn't much discussion here on the Z series. The Felt website describes the Zs as a blend of performance (racing) and endurance (comfort), whereas most of the active participants on this site are discussing the F series with its "no-nonsense racing geometry".

There are comments scattered thoughout this Felt Forum describing the use of Zs by professional racers on courses with rough roads (cobblestones) or when long distance endurance (comfort) is needed.

I ride a 2011 Z5. I haven't seen anyone in this forum talk down about the Zs. The Zs are as much a high quality and "bang for the buck" machines as are those in the F series.

Maybe SuperDave (product manager Dave Koesel) will chime in say a few words to dispell any doubt about how a Z will brighten your life.
    Last edited by JogBike; 12-06-2011 at 03:00 PM.

SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
    I think the Z uses a better carbon weave then the F series.
    Carbon,Steel,Aluminum or Ti,who really cares as long as we ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I have a '10 ZC frameset which is probably very similar if not identical to the current carbon-framed Z bikes. Mine came with an upgraded fork from what the original specs called for (can't remember the specifics, but it's an all-carbon, pretty lightweight fork).

It is an excellent frame in it's "type". The only real difference between it and the Cannondale CAAD frame it replaced is the head tube length. The seat angles and ETT length are very similar.

To me, it feels just as racy as the CAAD, but more comfortable, probably because i have the fit dialed in very well on it. It is an excellent riding bike. I "believe" I felt that the handling is not as quick as my CAAD, but but felt more stable and comfortable at high speeds. I can't really say for sure since I don't have the CAAD any more to compare. I do feel that I feel much more comfortable descending than the CAAD. 40-50 mph was fairly nerve wracking for me, but now it feels very comfortable and stable. That's about as fast as I go.

Of course I can't say anything about the rest of the Z bikes as mine is built up with a Sram Red group and fit parts (saddle, post, stem, bars) and wheels/tires that I had already (all of which contribute greatly to my satisfaction with the bike as a whole, I'm sure).

I'm happy.
    Last edited by Camilo; 11-14-2011 at 06:20 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love my Z85. However, I must say that I've only owned three other road bikes (all steel) so I'm certainly not an expert.
    I've had it up to 44mph and it felt very stable. It climbs nice too (despite old, sluggish engine). I was a bit worried about the alum. giving a rough ride, but its surprisingly smooth.

I test rode the Z5 and really loved it. I ended up with the z85 b/c I was able to get an amazing deal on it.
    Pic from yesterday's ride:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z Series-sundayfelt.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I too have a zc frameset...soon to be for sale.....

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead View Post
    Not much talk about them on here and pretty much no reviews on them. Is there something wrong with them? I kinda like the looks of the Z3
    The Z-series is the workhorse of our road line. It is by far the largest volume category. It is suprising you don't see more discussion on the Z bikes are there are more out there than the F or AR.

If you have specific questions about the Z, please let me know. I think you'll find our Z-series geometry is very similar to bikes like Orbea and Specialized's Tarmac pure race bikes. It is not a dumbed down novice-only ride. Indeed it has been used in the ProTour at the Spring and Fall Classics, from San Remo to San Sebastian. It has won National Championships and raced in the Tour. The Z is just an alternative to the hyper-aggressive F-series. The Z's primary design focal point is ride quality, the F is STW and the AR is aerodynamics.

Regards,
    -SD
    Last edited by Superdave3T; 04-17-2012 at 06:03 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead View Post
    Shokhead -- From the responses, I think you see there is plenty of "Z love" out there. Go for that Z3.
    Last edited by JogBike; 12-17-2011 at 06:41 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I got a 2012 Z4 back at the end of September and have put 600 miles on her in the last month. I cannot begin to tell you how much I love riding this bike. Its better bang for your buck than the competition. I test rode a Cannondale Supersix and Synapse, Specialized Roubaix, and Jamis Endura. The Z felt better to me, has better components, and undoubtedly looks better. I get a lot of people coming up to check it out, particularly fellow Felt owners. You will not be disappointed in a Z series bike. Pull the trigger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperdaveFelt View Post
    The Z is just an alternative to the hyper-aggressive F-series. The Z's primary design focal point is ride quality, the F is STW and the AR is aerodynamics.

Regards,
    -SD
    Well, I have to say, I think you guys met the objective with the Z as far as comfort goes. Some riders don't like the saddle, but I like it a lot. Paired w/ the carbon seat post it feels pretty plush.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    kudos for the Z2 as well. great ride and performance and well spec'ed. btw, try to check out the Felt demo truck if it comes to your locale. Great choice of bikes to ride and nice folks helping out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Z85 here and love it

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Put about 1500 miles on my Z5 and it's performed great. Very comfortable ride, well built and looks good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    6130 commuting and recreational miles on mine. Two warranty issues resolved nicely by Felt/Shimano/LBS. Only remaining niggle is it doesn't track quite straight at low speed (< 10mph), but this hasn't been bothersome enough to have looked at.

Initially I didn't care for the look of the heavily sloped top tube, but it's grown on me and I appreciate the extra stand over room when commuting.

I actually found the stock saddle very comfortable and was disappointed when the pan cracked and I had to retire it.

Upgrades: Ultegra brakes and RD, Felt 1.2 fork (warranty replacement - original was not aligned correctly), wheels (DT Swiss RR465+ Ultegra hubs).

Fun, versatile bike. Would not hesitate to get another should something happen to this one.
    Last edited by joe4702; 11-17-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    Joe
    2009 Felt Z35, ~15,600 miles
    2008 Cannondale F5, ~2000 miles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I have a 2011 Z6 and really like it. First road bike, long time mtn biker. Wanted a bit of a more comfortable bike and I think this bike fits the bill- have rode it more than my mtn bike since the purchase!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a Zc and it is fantastic. I would highly recommend it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have an old grandpa z80, and that baby rides smooth.

In fact I love the z series geometry so much, I probably won't stray from it in later bikes, just full carbon instead.

I can get real speedy on it if I like, or have a good average over a large sum of miles. Best of both worlds for me.
    -Felt Z80-
    -Trek 7.2fx-

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperdaveFelt View Post
    If you have specific questions about the Z, please let me know.
    Dave, will 28mm wide tires fit front/rear on the Z4?

Saw the Z4 at the LBS this weekend and was blown away by what a gorgeous bike it was. Nice job!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I've had my z85 for a month & love it so far!

DEK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Count me as another with a Z85. I've put over 3,300 miles on it since I got it April of this year. The only quibble I had with it was the white tires. I couldn't wait until they wore out and I went all black. Looks nicer - at least to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEK View Post
    Count me as another with a Z85. I've put over 3,300 miles on it since I got it April of this year. The only quibble I had with it was the white tires. I couldn't wait until they wore out and I went all black. Looks nicer - at least to me.
    I think Felt eventually switched away from the white tires to the black and red Bontragers that I got with mine (see pic above). They preform OK but because they are the cheapest tires Btrager makes($12 a piece) sometimes at high speed I'm thinking to myself, "I hope these tires don't explode, slide out, unravel etc". IN the spring I'm probably going to switch them out for some GP4000's or Pro Race 4;s.

DEK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico2000 View Post
    I think Felt eventually switched away from the white tires to the black and red Bontragers that I got with mine (see pic above). They preform OK but because they are the cheapest tires Btrager makes($12 a piece) sometimes at high speed I'm thinking to myself, "I hope these tires don't explode, slide out, unravel etc". IN the spring I'm probably going to switch them out for some GP4000's or Pro Race 4;s.
    Love the red tires.

I was actually thinking of getting the Kenda Kadence tires in red for my next set.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico2000 View Post
    I think Felt eventually switched away from the white tires to the black and red Bontragers that I got with mine (see pic above). They perform OK but because they are the cheapest tires Btrager makes($12 a piece).....
    I too, on my Z5, have replaced the original white Vittoria Zaffiro 700x25 which are Vittoria's cheapest. I replaced them with Vittoria Rubino Pro 3. I've had good experience with Rubino Pro in the past. Good puncture protection and mid-range price.

You can buy Rubino Pro III 700x23 in eight colors at Vittoria Rubino Pro III Road Tire at BikeTiresDirect Online price is $39, while it's $47 retail at the LBS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    bought my z85 about a year ago, its a very good bike, maybe just not for me. i feel its too relaxed and dampens too much my push, the tires dont help of course and the saddle prevents me from moving forward. Make sure you know what you get these z frames for. Now i'm selling it to get a more aggressive geometry. Anyone with the same conundrum?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast