Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Commuter

Anyone recommend a small useable 15mm wrench?

I commute on my fixie and carry a long armed 15mm wrench for wheel repairs.

Does anyone know of a good portable smaller (folding?) 15mm wrench that still has enough leverage to tighten and loosen the axle nuts?

I am thinking about putting a large saddle bag on my fixie and tossing in all my stuff (patch kit, tube, multi tool, levers, etc.).
    You can call me "MTP" if my full screen name grosses you out.

Two wheeled & too big

Campy peanut butter wrench

Try Business Cycles they have 3 different models two are peanut butter wrenches, a campy for a bit over $25 and a knock off for about $15
    http://www.businesscycles.com/trtool_peanutbutter.htm

They also have a pretty cool combination wrench made for fixed gears. http://www.businesscycles.com/trpart.htm#super

The site is a bit tricky to navigate, but has some good stuff.

You can do a web search for the peanut butter wrench and maybe get it cheaper, I got mine for $21 I think, but I don't remember who from.
    May God continue to grant me the health to ride my bike..........and the wisdom to get out there and do it!

Commuter
    Mattman, thanks for the info on those three wrenches. I am thinking about getting that Campy wrench and just be done with it because I am sure the quality will last my biking years ;)

I also came across this Surly Jethro Tule wrench. It's shorter, so good to fit in the saddle bag, but I am just wondering if it's too short.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Try a hardware store that specializes in automotive tools.

There are more styles of 15mm wrenches in this world than you could imagine. I have one that's about 5 inches long, open on one end and a ratcheting box wrench on the other. I worry less about leverage than about fitting in a seat bag because if necessary I push the wrench with my foot.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

Commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by rusa1586
    ...I worry less about leverage than about fitting in a seat bag because if necessary I push the wrench with my foot.
    Good point. I actually change my car tires using my foot on the tire wrench/bar. No reason why I can't do that for my bike too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Don't do the surly

I bought a JethroTule and have yet to be able to use it, the casting seam didn't get filed down and it won't fit over a track nut. I've tried it with with several and none will fit. Just stick with a Park or Campy peanutbutter wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sears Craftsman stubby. 4.5" long. Lifetime warranty. $8.50. Can't beat it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cheese is my copilot
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly
    Bingo.

fixated

yup

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Bingo.
    Yup, I have several of those; keep one in the seat bag, one on the bench. Work perfectly.

Two wheeled & too big

Peanut butter or beer

Quote Originally Posted by meat tooth paste
    Mattman, thanks for the info on those three wrenches. I am thinking about getting that Campy wrench and just be done with it because I am sure the quality will last my biking years ;)

I also came across this Surly Jethro Tule wrench. It's shorter, so good to fit in the saddle bag, but I am just wondering if it's too short.

The short wrench is cool but harder to get a wheel tight or a tight wheel loose. If that not a big worry, I guess you must decide if it is better to be able to spread peanut butter or open a beer with your wrench. On my SS MTB I have a Surly Tuggnut covering the beer opening issue and the peanut butter wrench covers that possibilty.

I also have a set of the stubby wrenchs, they are good too. I want a set of metric combination wrenches with the racheting box end, the new ones are so nice and the heads quite compact.
    May God continue to grant me the health to ride my bike..........and the wisdom to get out there and do it!

Commuter
    Time to bust out the polyester Brady Bunch outfit and head down to Sears. I'll pick up one these today since there's a Sears next to Supergo. I can kill two birds with one stone, or as my nice friend says "feed two birds with one scone".

Cubicle Fugitive

Dumbell?

Not you. . .

http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/tools/19063.html Handy if you still have canti or center-pull brakes too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Sears, hacksaw, benchgrinder..

Will fit in pocket or like so..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybeck
    Will fit in pocket or like so..
    When I saw that, I went to my bike to see if I could mount my 7.5" long Craftsman 15mm wrench (currently stored in a correspondingly enormous saddle bag) like that on my IRO. Then I realized that it's bad enough that I keep all the tools needed to steal most parts of my bike in my saddle bag without putting a wrench on the axle nut to make it even easier. I'm lucky that bike theft isn't too popular around here.

RoadBikeReview Member

made my own multitool....

by welding together a 15mm socket, 6mm allen, and a bottle opener.....need both 15mm and 6mm as my hubs are mismatched
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone recommend a small useable 15mm wrench?-fgmt.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

paragon machine works

its titanium and has a bottle opener
    give them a call

Two wheeled & too big

That's cool

Quote Originally Posted by ukiahb
    by welding together a 15mm socket, 6mm allen, and a bottle opener.....need both 15mm and 6mm as my hubs are mismatched
    Rough, but cool!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

here is my new craftsman shorty

after seeing this thread i decided that the craftsman shorty was for me but it wasnt quite my style so here is what i came up with after 20min on the die-grinder, much better than the jethro tule i think

any time, any where
    Aug 2004

Jethro

Quote Originally Posted by bacoes
    I bought a JethroTule and have yet to be able to use it, the casting seam didn't get filed down and it won't fit over a track nut. I've tried it with with several and none will fit. Just stick with a Park or Campy peanutbutter wrench

I bought the Jethro and had the same problem but 10 min with the file from my Swiss Army Knife cleaned it up just fine.

Nice-N-Rigid.

creativity lives!

Quote Originally Posted by the locust
    after seeing this thread i decided that the craftsman shorty was for me but it wasnt quite my style so here is what i came up with after 20min on the die-grinder, much better than the jethro tule i think
    me likes it! there goes your warranty, but hey, we all know that tool is golden for as many years as you can wrench the top off a cold, brown malted beverage. and if we aren't strong enough to do a 12 oz. curl, then we are already dead, lol.
    i picked one up yesterday- certainly a good deal at $8.59 and easy to use. in fact, i can actually get a bottle top off with it if i hold it just right...
    that Paragon Machine Works is one truly trick tool- Ti to boot!

welp, this has put me in the mood for a brewski and some music... now, where are my Tool albums??
    The Mainstream is NOT my Dream. A.B.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ordering the ratcheting version - Gear Wrench stubby 15mm combo wrench. Sears doesn't have Craftsman 15mm stubby with ratchet.
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002
    I use the Surley tool and find it to be VERY useful. It's short enough that it doesn't take up much room in the saddle bag. But, it has a large enough "flange" that you can torque down more than enough on the bolts. It is "angled" so that it points slightly away from the wheel. I torque the bolts down by hand and finish the job using my heel and step down on the flange part of the wrench. Since this isn't a box-end wrench and it's contact point is quite large, there is no worry about the wrench flying off the bolt and your foot or shin slamming into something unfriendly.
    In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, our El Guapo is the actual El Guapo who is a big, dangerous man that wants to kill us.

Master Bike Mechanic
    I've never had a problem when tightening with the Jethro tule, and I weigh about twice what most of you guys do.

That Paragon one looks nice too though.
    And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And We shall flow a river forth unto thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be
    In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I just went to Home Depot and bought a reg. 15mm wrench then had the guy berak it in half, I ground down the ends to smoothout the break point and I have a box end wrench I keep in my seat pack.
    ===================
    At mile 20 we ask ourselves, why the hell am I doing this? At mile 26.2 it all becomes clear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebirdbiker
    I just went to Home Depot and bought a reg. 15mm wrench then had the guy berak it in half, I ground down the ends to smoothout the break point and I have a box end wrench I keep in my seat pack.
    Whoa, that Home Depot dude is STRONG!

I just used my bench grinder to take the open end of my $3 wrench clean off. Works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast