Thread: Avenir cogs?

Roll Model

Avenir cogs?

Hey, one of the kids I work with found an old huffy road bike and wants to try fixed! I was looking for cogs and found these Avenir cogs on Amazon, anybody used them?
    "Science has proven that if you have one flat on your bike, you will have another one, sooner or later. This is the reason that you should always buy a new bike when you get a flat." Mr Grumpy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I haven't tried it but I would go with something a bit higher in quality.

Cumudgitude
    Considering we're talking about fixing a Huffy I imagine "top of the line" isn't exactly the goal. I'm not familiar with Avenir, but I'd guess that it's probably the same low end, rebadged, plated stuff that most the $8-$12 cogs are. If that is, in fact, the case there's nothing wrong with using one to try out riding fixed. A few months down the line an upgrade might be in order. In the mean time I'd be really surprised if there were a catastrophic failure. I haven't heard of cogs blowing out in spectacular fashion so far.

Roll Model
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanPrimitive
    Considering we're talking about fixing a Huffy I imagine "top of the line" isn't exactly the goal. I'm not familiar with Avenir, but I'd guess that it's probably the same low end, rebadged, plated stuff that most the $8-$12 cogs are. If that is, in fact, the case there's nothing wrong with using one to try out riding fixed. A few months down the line an upgrade might be in order. In the mean time I'd be really surprised if there were a catastrophic failure. I haven't heard of cogs blowing out in spectacular fashion so far.
    That is what I was thinking, not sure if the kid is going to like it and it an old Huffy, just wanted to make sure we weren't getting a huge problem.
    cannotaim, if he sticks with it we will build a better bike later and use the right stuff, I wouldn't put them on mine but I know I'm sticking to it.

Thanks all!!
    Happy Christmas!!
    "Science has proven that if you have one flat on your bike, you will have another one, sooner or later. This is the reason that you should always buy a new bike when you get a flat." Mr Grumpy

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanPrimitive

+1...agree..... for a budget conversion, there is nothing wrong with a cheap cog...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    As said, nothing wrong with cheap stuff. In my admittedly no longer current experience, the issue with some cheap cogs was low-quality threading. Clean / grease the hub threads well and be extra careful when starting to thread the cog on. Better five false starts than peeling off hub threads.

Roll Model
    Quote Originally Posted by wim
    As said, nothing wrong with cheap stuff. In my admittedly no longer current experience, the issue with some cheap cogs was low-quality threading. Clean / grease the hub threads well and be extra careful when starting to thread the cog on. Better five false starts than peeling off hub threads.
    Good to know, thanks!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    i've recently been shopping for cheap...errr i mean...inexpensive cogs myself & found these:

$10 shipped is hard to beat & at least they are steel!

http://www.cswestbikes.com/servlet/Categories

i ordered 1 just a couple days ago so i can not yet comment on the cog itself or the supplier.

krustyone...i'm still fooling around trying to find the gearing i want to keep on my bike & don't want to invest a lot til i do hit on it, so i'd like to hear how those avenir cogs work out for you

btw, can anybody tell me whether getting 3/32" instead of 1/8" could cause any problems?

happy holidays to everybody!
    Last edited by markaitch; 12-25-2010 at 03:01 AM.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch
    i've recently been shopping for cheap...errr i mean...inexpensive cogs myself & found these:

i ordered 1 just a couple days ago so i can not yet comment on the cog itself or the supplier.

krustyone...i'm still fooling around trying to find the gearing i want to keep on my bike & don't want to invest a lot til i do hit on it, so i'd like to hear how those avenir cogs work out for you

btw, can anybody tell me whether getting 3/32" instead of 1/8" could cause any problems?

No worries with a 3/32 cog..You can use either a 1/8 or 3/32 chain with it....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Roll Model
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch

I ordered a couple this morning, if you shop right on Amazon you get free shipping after $25 and I needed some bar tape, so I'll let you know.

Roll Model
    They came in and we put one on, nice clean threads and seemed to be decent, but we didn't have time to finish the bike this week. Hopefully we'll get it done next week and have a report.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    yeah, the $10 gusset cog i had ordered arrived here this past mon

it looks pretty good, nicely chromed & finished, these threads are really clean too:

but have not gotten around to installing it & don't know when i will...i have gotten very interested in sram's topedo hub that you can switch from fixed to ss by turning a screw & my kid wants this bike back so i have to find a replacement for it. think i will just wait til i get that taken care of unless he really wants this cog

Roll Model
    I thought that Torpedo hub was pretty neat, too, let me know if you get one. I don't have anything I want to put it on right now though so I will wait.

Roll Model
    Here are a few rather lame pics of the Huffy fixed, was in a hurry:

[IMG]huffy fixed 1[/IMG]

Crank we swiped off a Huffy BMX:

[IMG]huffy fixed 3[/IMG]

And the Avenir cog:

[IMG]huffy fixed 2[/IMG]

No problems so far, only tested on the trainer so far since it was snowing when we got done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Man, hope you're not pumping up any hills on that thing. Looks like the wheel's about to pop out.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    All that work and you left the dork disc?

Roll Model
    Quote Originally Posted by palu
    Man, hope you're not pumping up any hills on that thing. Looks like the wheel's about to pop out.
    We just changed the crank but didn't have time to add a link or two yet.

Roll Model
    Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    All that work and you left the dork disc?
    Ha, yeah, I noticed that when we were putting it together-we'll take it off when we finish it up next week.

Roll Model

Done

We finished her up and got some pics on the stand. ran out of time so no test ride this week Hopefully the weather cooperates next week.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

english or metric threads?

hi krustyone...
    that bike turned out great!
    hope the weather has allowed your kid to ride & that he enjoys & appreciates it.
    well, i want another cog & since i still like cheap...errr...i mean good valued stuff, thought i might as well try one of those avenirs.
    but i always get mixed up when the description of a cog gives its thread dimensions in nos. i just can not remember which is english threading, like my bike's stepped hub takes.
    the avenir i was just looking @ states it is RH 24 x 1.370.
    is this the same as the cogs you bought?
    is your hub english or metric threaded?
    anybody else feel free to chime in as well & i appreciate the assistance...
    Last edited by markaitch; 02-11-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Roll Model
    To tell the truth I didn't even think about it but, unless your bike is really old or something off, that should fit.