RoadBikeReview Member

Bike Karma - Raleigh Next Build

My nephew got tired of his single speed/fixed gear bike and gave it to me. It's a 1972 Raleigh/Carlton 531 lugged frame with Phil high flanged hub wheels. TA crankset (love that TA). I had to order a quill stem, a long Nitto, from Harris Cyclery - the original is too short. 531 fork, but not lugged. I got my Brooks Team Pro saddle back that I'd given him. I'm using the Weinmann center pull front brake, but I do not have the parts to use the rear brake. I don't know where he got the Raleigh. My New York brother had an International, but this ain't that bike. His dad tells me that he rides only the bike I built for him a few years back - gratifying. That bike really rides nice but it was just a little too big for me. goes around; comes around... I'll post some pix later.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"She loves to limbo. That much is clear. She's got the right dynamic for the New Frontier"

duh...
    nice gift

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by David Loving View Post
    My nephew got tired of his single speed/fixed gear bike and gave it to me. It's a 1972 Raleigh/Carlton 531 lugged frame with Phil high flanged hub wheels. TA crankset (love that TA). I had to order a quill stem, a long Nitto, from Harris Cyclery - the original is too short. 531 fork, but not lugged. I got my Brooks Team Pro saddle back that I'd given him. I'm using the Weinmann center pull front brake, but I do not have the parts to use the rear brake. I don't know where he got the Raleigh. My New York brother had an International, but this ain't that bike. His dad tells me that he rides only the bike I built for him a few years back - gratifying. That bike really rides nice but it was just a little too big for me. goes around; comes around... I'll post some pix later.
    Where's the pic

RoadBikeReview Member

Here it is before the quill stem, drop bars w/ cloth tape and tektro levers get here. I'd been lusting after a 531 frame and my nephew sent it out of the blue.
    Last edited by David Loving; 06-27-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"She loves to limbo. That much is clear. She's got the right dynamic for the New Frontier"

eRacer
    Really, really nice. Can't wait to see it built-up.
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

duh...
    rebuild those wheels w some more traditional rims

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe later. I'm doing this on the cheap - bought a nitto quill stem, tektro levers, bar tape, and a center thing for the weinmann brakes. about $100.00.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Nice project! Wish one of my family members would give me a bike with Phil hubs!

RoadBikeReview Member

Here is the last act. I had a hard time with the stem because of the way the head tube is made. If this one does not work well, I'll go to plan b. I may also go to drop bars, but we'll see. I like the straight bars for now.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

RoadBikeReview Member
    I put the drop bars on it. I can't get out in the sun taking tetracycline, so I can'r ride it much. Have some cloth bar tape and track grips on the way

Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

RoadBikeReview Member
    Final edition- added cotton bar tape and track grips

Last edited by David Loving; 07-10-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    good result

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012