Still On Steel

Bullhorn Bars Width

I'm building up a parts-bin single-speed (my first such bike). One of the parts I don't have, and will need to buy, is a set of bullhorn bars. I'm wondering what width to get.

I'm six feet tall but have narrow shoulders. My main road bike is fitted with a set of 3T Ergonova Pro bars. They are the 42cm size, but that's measured at the ends of the flared drops. Up on the hoods, where my hands spend most of their time, they're more like 38.5-39cm wide, depending on exactly where I measure. These bars fit me perfectly, and feel great.

Is there a rule-of-thumb about the width of bullhorns vs. drop bars? What width bullhorns would y'all recommend?
    Allez Rouge

RoadBikeReview Member
    I personally ride the same width, if not slightly narrower. I have 3T Rotundo bars in 44cm and ride a Nitto 42cm. Feels good.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Cumudgitude

*bump*

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Rouge
    Is there a rule-of-thumb about the width of bullhorns vs. drop bars?
    That's a really good question. I've been thinking about putting bullhorns on my grocery runner. I don't have any input, but will be curious to see what others have to say.

*bump*

vexatious enigma
    If I had to make the choice I would go with bars that are the same width as my normal road bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes