Eddy 53:11

Dropout questions . . . . . .

I'm riding a POS IRO fixed I beat like it owes me money. I'd like to build a quality steel frame fixed, but am unsure of what I can get away with as far as dropouts are concerned. What's the rule as far as dropouts? I'm thinking about Cinelli or something old school Italian pref with front and rear brakes complete with Campy parts. Any help would be great.
    Live vicariously through yourself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There isn't exactly a "rule" -- there are various ways to deal with different types of equipment, but you can get do a conversion with any type.

-anything with horizontal dropouts is easy. If you get an older frame, many have them. More recently, vertical dropouts are more common.

- with vertical dropouts, you have several options to get good chain tension
    -"magic gear" combination
    -half-link in the chain.
    -White eno eccentric hub is very nifty, kind of expensive.

The late master is still the best information source.
    Fixed Gear Conversions
    Eppur si muove.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    i don't know why you would refer to IRO as a pos...they were nice bikes & i, for one, am sorry to see them go.

nowadays with the plethora of trackend bikes & frames available, unless you are on a tight budget or specifically looking for something vintage there is no need for you to do a conversion. it seems like you plan to put some money into this bike? if so, to fit your desire for "quality steel frame fixed" & "Cinelli or something old school Italian" the easy answer is...

plus, to make it even easier...outside outfitters has them on sale for under $500

have fun & good luck...

The POS comment was misguided. The frame is just fine, the components it came with were horrid. Thanks for the website, never heard of them. Does anyone know the difference between the Gazetta and Supercorsa frame sets? I assume the bling, and geometry, but how about daily rides?

How bad is true track geometry on everyday 20-30 mile hilly hard rides?
    Last edited by JetSpeed; 07-03-2013 at 08:25 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    there's a couple other threads i am sorely tempted to reply to but i hate post-whoring & ride a cinelli so you are the lucky guy to whom i have chosen to respond

wtf is your budget? seriously? you mentioned a supercorsa? if you can afford it, buy it - no questions asked. but besides the money...are you meaning a pista or a road frame? pista has no brake holes so it does not fit your stated desire for f & r brakes & besides the very reasonable(?) frame price, & besides the costly appropriate build parts, you would have to pay extra for eccentric work-arounds to turn a beautiful roadie into a "steel frame fixed".

if you want to check the gazetta (which does have f & r brake holes) geo & construction vs supercorsa, its all right there on cinelli's site for you to see for yourself.

now, not that i want to make this about myself but fyi my own daily rider is a supercorsa pista. when i say daily rider...i mean it. 20-30 mi everyday, a metric weekly, an imperial regularly, & the occasional what i consider to be "ultra" rides under my belt on my baby.

ok, sorry to brag but my bike is so sweet...quick & fast around town, almost no toe overlap & unbelievably comfortable on my long rides.

Dropout questions . . . . . .-100_4979.jpg

Dropout questions . . . . . .-100_4985.jpg

ooops, sorry JetSpeed...as difficult as it may be, hope you find what you are looking for...
    Last edited by markaitch; 07-05-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: ooops

Nice to hear its comfy to ride daily and somewhat long rides. I'm also considering a Tommisimi fixed. The Cinelli and Tommisni prices are identical, but I'm a bit more in love with the Tommisini for some reason.

I'd rather not do all the goofy work-arounds for road geometry. But more relaxed track geometry would be best. I will need at least a front brake unless drilling for a rear is possible ( prob not).

I'd like to stay under 4k but, it's not limiting. Would you say the Supercorsa is a better ride V the Gazetta? If so how? I "get" the bling factor with the chrome bits etc., but ride???

Thx.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    if you're able to spend $4k - i'll ask you the same question i got over & over from my riding buddies...why not get a custom-built frame?

my answer to them was...i've wanted a supercorsa pista since i saw one at our velodrome 20+ years ago, it was my lifelong dream frame, & i finally found the right size at a great price so i didn't give a single thought to a custom frame. maybe you should or maybe since you've already stated you love the tomasini & you can afford it...makes any further discussion seem pointless.

good luck, have fun, & please post pics...