RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

Eno Eccentric Users- Opinions and What Tools to Carry?

Iíve just ordered an ENO Eccentric rear wheel in an attempt to simplify my commuter and wanted to hear if anyone had any tips/tricks for setting it up and maintaining it?

Also, can anyone recommend what tools should be carried in order to most easily and efficiently fix a flat, etc.? Since I commute with a small bag, size and weight isnít a major issue. Iíve read various things, and want to get the right sizes and number of tools ahead of the wheel build. Is it 2x hex key and 2x wrenches- more, less?

Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You just need an allen wrench/hex key to loosen the wheel to remove it. You can get adept at lining up the wheel with your brakes and with a taut chain with some experience. It's not hard. That is a good move, going to the ENO hub.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"She loves to limbo. That much is clear. She's got the right dynamic for the New Frontier"

duh...
    a properly size open-end or small crescent is handy to move the eccentric around

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    One 6mm wrench is all you need to carry. I've owned 3 different bikes (road, Off road disc, off-road fixy) using Eno hubs and never needed more. I have folded up a glove and put it between the tire and seat tube to tension the chain and line everything up a few times.

Maximum Gluteus
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    a properly size open-end or small crescent is handy to move the eccentric around
    +1

It is also handy to keep the eccentric in place when you tighten it. I have one on a Cannondale CAAD3, and the eccentric always moves around when I tighten it up. This means that the ENO can be bit of a PITA to mess with if you have a flat while on a ride. I have taken to carrying some of those glue on patches (or a regular patch kit) with me. Instead of taking the wheel off and changing the tube, I usually just keep the wheel on and patch the tube in place. Way faster and you don't have to fart around with setting up the eccentric.
    Yet another cycling blog...updated whenever.
    http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks everyone- very helpful info. Looking forward to getting my commuter back up and running, simply.