( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Felt or Origin8?

I'm still tossing around the idea of buying a fixie/singlespeed. On my local Craigslist, there are 2 bikes that fit within my budget: A Felt Brougham and an Origin8 Fix8. The Felt is used, a few years old, but in pretty good shape. It's a 58cm frame...and I normally ride a 56. The Origin8 seller has 3 advertised: 54, 56, and 58; supposedly all brand new, but not sold by a dealer (private sale).

Is either one preferable to the other? I'm not looking to race track or anything...I'd just like to live the hipster dream by riding my fixie to a microbrewery
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    I'm still tossing around the idea of buying a fixie/singlespeed. On my local Craigslist, there are 2 bikes that fit within my budget: A Felt Brougham and an Origin8 Fix8. The Felt is used, a few years old, but in pretty good shape. It's a 58cm frame...and I normally ride a 56. The Origin8 seller has 3 advertised: 54, 56, and 58; supposedly all brand new, but not sold by a dealer (private sale).

Is either one preferable to the other? I'm not looking to race track or anything...I'd just like to live the hipster dream by riding my fixie to a microbrewery
    I may be of limited help, since I acquired all my fixies the old-fashioned way -- buying an old frame cheap at a garage sale and converting it (thank you, Sheldon Brown). I still haven't entirely gotten used to the idea of buying a fixie pre-built.

But, just based on the published specs, the Felt is a higher quality bike. The frame is butted cro-moly, while the Origin8 is cheap high-tensile steel (aka "gas pipe"). On that alone, I'd go for the Felt (assuming it fits), even though it's a bit used. (my favorite fixie conversion is a frame that's probably over 40 years old).

Have fun. Enjoy your beer. I commute on my FGs, and enjoy them a lot.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I may be of limited help, since I acquired all my fixies the old-fashioned way -- buying an old frame cheap at a garage sale and converting it (thank you, Sheldon Brown). I still haven't entirely gotten used to the idea of buying a fixie pre-built.

But, just based on the published specs, the Felt is a higher quality bike. The frame is butted cro-moly, while the Origin8 is cheap high-tensile steel (aka "gas pipe"). On that alone, I'd go for the Felt (assuming it fits), even though it's a bit used. (my favorite fixie conversion is a frame that's probably over 40 years old).

Have fun. Enjoy your beer. I commute on my FGs, and enjoy them a lot.
    There's, sadly, not a whole heck of a lot of decent bikes on the used market around here...I don't honestly know how far I'd get with garage sales or secondhand stores. The old Fuji (Sport 10, 1978 model year) that bore my username has, to this day, been the best sub-$100 bike I've encountered around here. Vintage Schwinns command top dollar on Craigslist and the like, and anything more exotic than that is nearly unheard of. That's mostly why I'm in search of a purpose-built fixie.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's, sadly, not a whole heck of a lot of decent bikes on the used market around here...I don't honestly know how far I'd get with garage sales or secondhand stores.
    Well, I wasn't really offering that as a suggestion, just making an observation to confess my limited knowledge of off-the-shelf FG bikes.

We may have different standards for what's "decent," as well. My favorite fixie is built on a Rampar frame from the 70s. That was a Japanese-built brand that Raleigh's American branch sold for a while, trying to compete at the price point of Japanese imports like your Fuji during the 70s bike boom. Raleigh wouldn't let them put the name on a bike that wasn't made in England, so they used their Rampar name, originally used for accessories (Raleigh AMerica PARts). I cobbled it together with some old parts and some new, and I've been commuting on it for maybe 10 years now, probably over 15,000 miles. The frame cost me $5 at a garage sale.

Good luck. I hope you bought the Felt.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Well, I wasn't really offering that as a suggestion, just making an observation to confess my limited knowledge of off-the-shelf FG bikes.

We may have different standards for what's "decent," as well. My favorite fixie is built on a Rampar frame from the 70s. That was a Japanese-built brand that Raleigh's American branch sold for a while, trying to compete at the price point of Japanese imports like your Fuji during the 70s bike boom. Raleigh wouldn't let them put the name on a bike that wasn't made in England, so they used their Rampar name, originally used for accessories (Raleigh AMerica PARts). I cobbled it together with some old parts and some new, and I've been commuting on it for maybe 10 years now, probably over 15,000 miles. The frame cost me $5 at a garage sale.

Good luck. I hope you bought the Felt.
    I certainly appreciate the help! I haven't pulled the trigger on anything just yet, but everything I've researched certainly points to the Felt as being the better bike...The opinions are VERY mixed on the Origin8, usually putting the general quality as adequate at best, Wally-World quality at worst.