RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008

Fixie or cross bike (bikesdirect)?

So I've been a budget biker for several years now, a lowcash rider who cruises around town and trails on a Norco i bought while in Canada a few years back, but recently I've decided to get a road bike. After reading up quite a bit I've realized that a simple, stripped down one-brake single speed or fixie is what would best work for me and my budget has pointed me towards bikesdirect.com.

Although I would like to buy parts separately and put it together myself I just figure I'm going to save money and hassle just getting a complete package and not paying a bunch of shipping fees and so forth. Also, my LBS is kinda snobby and high-end, plus not really a fixie type place - they sell cruisers and $6000 mnt bikes.

1) SO, i'm looking at the following bikes of course and have no idea which to go for: Hour, Clockwork, Kilo TT, & Dawes SST

2) Also looking at SE Draft or Draft Lite, but can't really tell the diff between the two?

3) However I looked at the Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO and thought that it looked pretty aggressive and I like the idea that I could ride it on some mild trails since it can accommodate bigger knobby tires. Are there other differences with a cross bike that I'm not noticing?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    all are inexpensive bikes that will give you a decent bang for the buck..

go with what fits and the bike that "speaks" to you
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    i have the uno and race it in cross, its a cool bike, same frame as the messenger but with more tire clearance.

i changed out the wheels seat and handlebars, but its just as good stock. i like the cross bike because you have more options for tires

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I settled on the Uno for commuting, because it seems the most versatile -- bosses for fenders and racks, lots of clearance for big tires and fenders, relatively relaxed road geometry. Also it comes with both fixed gear and freewheel, so you have everything you need.

The only things I swapped out were the tires, just for studs on snow and ice. Other than that I added fenders. For the money, I couldn't be happier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah, I like the idea that I can ride the bike with knobby tires if I wanted to just go tear around and no worry about hitting bumps, or if i want to go ride off road for a bit. I just don't know much about fixies and crossbikes, and well, I just figured there would be more of a difference in the cross and fixed bikes. Weight? Size? It can't just be the tire clearance???

I still want to put road tires on it most of the time. And I don't want to lose any of this light and tight biz that I'm looking forward to with a fixie (or single-speed). Will I???

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know a few people who have bought from bikesdirect and are very happy (two Motobecane Outcast's and one Mercier "track" bike). Pretty hard to beat the value you get from them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Is there any other differences between the cross and fixed bikes other than tire clearance? Weight? Size?

I still want to put road tires on it most of the time. And I don't want to lose any of the light and tight aspect that I'm looking forward to with a single-speed. Will I?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dozens
    Is there any other differences between the cross and fixed bikes other than tire clearance? Weight? Size?

I still want to put road tires on it most of the time. And I don't want to lose any of the light and tight aspect that I'm looking forward to with a single-speed. Will I?
    Are you asking specifically about the options from BD or more generally?

Generally "track" frames have steeper geometry than road frames, so their handling is quick. Cross bikes are less steep, so they're noticeably more stable. Cross bikes usually have lighter gearing, too. Many cross bikes come with bosses for fenders and racks, as they can double for touring bikes. And as you noted the track frame offers little tire clearance. There may be be a weight penalty to the cross frame -- but then none of these cheap bikes are especially light.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    yes, i'm just asking about the options from BD. I am going to get one of them, but I just can't decide which. i just feel like it might be smarter to get a frame that can accommodate beefier tires so that it will be more versatile around town. wouldn't that help me get less flats?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    the uno isnt really a true cross frame, its the messenger frame with more tire clearance and a different front fork. I honestly dont think you will feel a huge difference between the frames. if you feel like you may need beefier tires, then get the uno...you wont be dissapointed