RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

Gunnar Street Dog and pedals

Am thinking of my first fixed gear being the Street Dog. Anyone have any experience on this frame? Carbon or steel fork? Bike is to be used to train during the off season for road racing. Is it best to use road or mtn. pedals? Have thought about the Candy Eggbeaters which I use on my cross bike as an alternative.

brrrrraap!
    If its your first fix gear use mountain pedals. Unless your extremly proficiant at flipping your pedal and clipping in right away. Slipping off one is not somthing you want to do in traffic.

A carbon fork will be stiffer than steel, So if your a bigger lad, or you plan on sprinting up hills it may be a good idea. Other wise, keep it cheap, keep it fun.
    "To be a rock, and not roll" - Robert Plant

What'd I do?
    Steel forks are prettier. Eggbeaters are fine. Pedal choice (MTB/road) isn't a big deal if you don't plan to do a lot of walking. I use my fixed gear bikes for commuting, so they get Time ATAC's, so I can walk easily, if not entirely comfortably. Street Dog's a nice bike.

Just Riding Along

Great minds run in the same track...

I have a Street Dog with Reynolds Carbon Pro fork and Candy Pedals.

I got it used, so the fork choice was not originally mine. However I got the pedals and Mountain bike shoes just for it.

Impressions:
    The fork is very nice. Stable, very direct steering, shock absorbing, comfortable and confidence inspiring. One feature of the bike is clearance for wide tires. This fork has less clearance than the stock. If that's important, this fork may not be for you.

I love the pedals. Easy in and out, very little elevation over the center of the pedal axle, light, trouble free. An economical, practical and functional choice.

The bike's a great bike. It's light, responsive, fun to ride, sturdy, practical and comfortable. There are other good frames for a fixed gear, but if it doesn't give you sticker shock, it won't disappoint you (IMHO).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gunnar Street Dog and pedals-street-dog-3.jpg  
    Bikes are like bottles of beer; as soon as you get one, you want another.....