ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

I'm rebuilding an old steel road frame into a single

Have to use the spindle ball and cup axle square taper bb. Have a Veulta track crankset, have a bmx chain, new16t freewheel. Here is the problem, the rear wheel is a threaded Shimano 600 designed for a screw on freewheel which of course works with the new freewheel. I think the spacing/chainline is askew. How do I fix, not sure I want to get the wheel re-dished? Is re-dish the only option? Spacer? How do I determine the correct chainline, looks like it needs to move right. Hub is a 126mm designed for a 6 speed screw on freewheel so the single speed freewheel is in the low or second lowest gear position.

RoadBikeReview Member
    reading material:
    Singlespeed Bicycle Conversions
    Basically, to fix chainline, you can move cog or ring or both. You can get some movement at the crank, sometimes, by moving the ring to the other side of the spider or using spacers.

But you should move the cog as well, which means re-spacing the axle to put the freeewheel in the right place, and then re-dishing the wheel to put the rim back in the right place. This is normal and expected when you convert to SS. It's not that hard; you can do it yourself with a little care. You will learn something about wheels by doing it, and about cup-and-cone hubs if you're not experienced with them.
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Already read Sheldon Brown's series, can't change position on the ring as it is a track crank, considering moving spacers about in the rear to try and improve the line, going to take it out for a test ride and get a feel for how far off it really is. In the stand I get a few crackles of chain and freewheel, not even close to throwing the chain. Using a bmx chain with lots of flex in it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just my jhumble opinion, but taking it out for a test ride is not the way to see how far off it is. You can see it, and you should try to get it as close as you can. Re-spacing an axle is not rocket science (but it's not just moving spacers about, either -- you need to move the cones on the axle to get it right, unless only a very small movement is needed, not usually the case with a hub spaced for a multi-speed freewheel).

Good luck. Be careful.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Works fine. Did 20 miles w/o a single hiccup. Did a few touch up seat height and bar adjustments. I took the wheels to a shop to have a few freewheels removed prior to the build up, the tech looked at the setup and felt I would be okay. I may service the hubs here in the near future and refine the chain line. Worked well, completely silent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In my world, if it's quiet, it's good to go.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"She loves to limbo. That much is clear. She's got the right dynamic for the New Frontier"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds good.