RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

madison v. se lager. and nashbar coupon???

you've heard it before: wanna pull the trigger on a ss for training, nashbar has a madison for $299, a lager for $325. i know nothing about the lager but from what i've read seems ok enough for the $$$.

it's for training only, no commuting or nuthin' like that. any last minute opinions on either is appreciated. like i said, hope to get one in the next day.

thanks, and cheers,

jason

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by madduck
    you've heard it before: wanna pull the trigger on a ss for training, nashbar has a madison for $299, a lager for $325. i know nothing about the lager but from what i've read seems ok enough for the $$$.

it's for training only, no commuting or nuthin' like that. any last minute opinions on either is appreciated. like i said, hope to get one in the next day.

thanks, and cheers,

jason
    You want bullhorns or drop bars? Other than that, the specs are similar...

Personally, I like the look of the Madison better than the Lager but that is just me
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

On your left!

Madison

has cool factors (cycling history). Based on specs being similar, cool factor wins.

And it appears the Madison has a flip flop hub while the Lager does not.
    Last edited by racerx; 03-01-2011 at 07:36 AM.
    Not in the mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle and love play... not fighting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    k. easy enough, schwinn. i prefer old school styling much better anyway.

dave, you seem to have the same affinity, ok, yours is muuuuch greater than mine, for 3rensho. lurk a lot more than i post here but am always jealous when you get another. i'm 6'2'' and haven't seen that many larger frames on the mkt.

racer, thx, i missed that. helped solidify that schwinn was the way to go.

i've looked on schwinn's site for sizing suggestion, y'all got one? i'm 6'2'', 32'' inseam, ride an old 58cm klein. i've been thinking of going with the xl. this will be for on road riding only so i don't need/want to tight geometry. i've got my klein for that.

thx

oh yeah, i saw on another post NASHLUV as a coupon, i've never bought from nashbar, is the coupon good for only certain things? do ya' put it in and hope something get's discounted?

thx again to all
    Last edited by madduck; 03-01-2011 at 01:09 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    madduck...
    i don't mean to throw a monkey wrench into your decision-making process but the lager does come equipped with both a cog & a freewheel.
    i have actually been waffling over a nashbar madison lately myself & unfortunately you missed a discount code this past weekend. there is always another coming along with nashbar but trick is to catch one when they don't bump the bike price up $50 too.
    the schwinn's rear hub is built fixed/free while the se racing ss bikes i've had before had hubs that are fixed on both sides which mean you can run it cog or fw on either side.
    either bike is very adequate but the reason i keep holding off on the madison is that i can not stand that handlebar & grips which means i would have to immediately invest in replacements making it less of a bargain.
    have fun & good luck...

edit: i just found coupon code OUTMAR which seems to be working for 10% off just about everything @ nashbar including the madison
    Last edited by markaitch; 03-01-2011 at 01:29 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    hey mark, thanks much for the explanation of how nashbar works. and thanks for the code. now that i know how they work i may take a chance and keep an eye on things over the next week and see if i can't save a few more $$$'s.

and i am in total agreement about the bars on the madison. i'd want to replace the bars and obviously need to buy replacement brake levers right away. i've pretty much come to the conclusion that i'll have to buy some new bars anyway. but if i can get something that comes with levers that will slide on to another set of drop bars, just one less thing to buy.

there is a masi fixed at a lbs for $650. it's a nice riding bike but don't know that it's worth it at almost double the price than this. just another part of the big equation.

thx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I ride a madison for training. I changed the bars,stem, levers and seat post.
    Mainly to go all black. The bars were really bad. It rides nice and for 300 it's going to be hard to do better. All the parts were left overs or bargain table stuff. My true ride is a madone.

Question: what does the madison frame weight? I ride a XL