RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008

Masi Speciale commuter/IRO Mark V/BD bikes

I'm looking for a ss/fixed gear bike under 500 bucks for commuting to work. I didn't find nice old bike frame my size that i can probably fix up on craigslist so I decided to look at local bike shop / sites.

I rode on a Masi Speciale Commuter (http://www.masibikes.com/tab4_subNav2.php), and it feels good and it's on sale for 499 at a bikeshop, another similar one that i rode at another bike shop is a Felt Brougham.
    http://bicycleworldandfitness.com/pr...am-59659-1.htm

I also heard great things about IRO Cycle. Their mark v pre-build is priced at 400, with a front brake ,shipping and tax, i'm guess it's close to 500 as well.

Then, there are also the Windsor Timeline on bd website for 324 shipped. Do the components on the Masi/Iro/Felt justify for that extra money compared to a bd bike for commuting purposes?

What are you thoughts?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guavajuice

Then, there are also the Windsor Timeline on bd website for 324 shipped. Do the components on the Masi/Iro/Felt justify for that extra money compared to a bd bike for commuting purposes?

What are you thoughts?
    I come from the school you get what you pay for, so if it was my choice, I would buy a more expensive bike if I was to use it for commuting. Nothing like having a break down on the way to work/school. I think the BD bike is great value, but I also think the Masi has better components. Things like the Ritchie bar and stem come to mind.

I own the Masi commuter and I like it for what it is. It rides like a long haul truck. It wants to go straight and reluctantly, will turn. It has ample room to run the 32's with fenders and has braze ons to accommodate racks and fenders. If you want a sporty quick bike, this one is not for you, the Felt would be better for that. If you want a stable and no nonsense type of ride the Masi is a good choice.

My other bike is a converted Marinoni and that bike is a joy to ride after I have been on the Masi but they are built for two different purposes. If I had to choose only one bike for commuting, I would pick the Masi.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    The Masi rides pretty solid and fit me nicely I must say. Part of the ride is a bit bumpy , do you think the heelset Ritchey Girder XC rims on the Masi is able to put up with it?

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by guavajuice
    Do the components on the Masi/Iro/Felt justify for that extra money compared to a bd bike for commuting purposes?

likely

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    The SE Premium Ale Single Speed Road Bike from Nashbar is a nice bike for $549.95. Use coupon NASHLUV and get an additional 25% off, making it one great deal.
    If you focus on the past, you will never see the future.

Every day I wake up is a good day!

"I don't need another bike"
    - Anonymous

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quality control is better on the Masi/Felt vs BD, although BD always claims no difference. Actual world experiences say otherwise. Anyway, if I were in your shoes, I'd get the Masi at the local shop. If you have any problems, drop in at the shop and actually talk to a person, instead of emailing and having to ship a bike back and forth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Thank you for all the comments. I purchased the Masi at a local bike shop I took it out for my 6 mile commute today, it was fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

madison v se lager

edit: i didn't pay attention.
    Last edited by madduck; 03-01-2011 at 06:31 AM.