RoadBikeReview Member

My new fixed top speed...Don't laugh now...

I hit my fastest speed ever in 3 months of fixed riding today. 28.6 mph avg for 10.31 min.

Its flat around here so no hills to worry about. But I was nervous turning my legs at such high RPMs.

220+ RPM on a spin bike is one thing, but where I was turning today on the fixed was a bit hairy at times. I don't have a cadence meter on the Madison but I would say I was in the 130 RPM range? I use a 46x16T gearing.
    Last edited by DIRT BOY; 01-15-2009 at 01:09 PM.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    http://www.analyticcycling.com/GearC...peed_Page.html

Without details about tire size it's only a guess, but analytic cycling says 126rpm. As an average cadence for 12 minutes that's pretty impressive. For that matter, so is 28.6mph. Strong work.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    I hit my fastest speed ever in 3 months of fixed riding today. 28.6 mph avg for 12:02 min.

Its flat around here so no hills to worry about. But I was nervous turning my legs at such high RPMs.

220+ RPM on a spin bike is one thing, but where I was turning today on the fixed was a bit hairy at times. I don't have a cadence meter on the Madison but I would say I was in the 130 RPM range? I use a 46x16T gearing.
    Dude, that is flying....I seriously doubt I could keep that speed up for 12 minutes
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    Dude, that is flying....I seriously doubt I could keep that speed up for 12 minutes
    Well, I guess it is. But that thread with guys going downhill got me thinking I was slow. I has spent after that. I was sprinting as fast I could for that time. Like a Time trial. HR was 91% of LTH.

I ended up going home real slow, real slow. I just check the computer again, I was wrong 10:31 min.

I felt like I was going to crash at any moment with my legs turning like crazy. The Madison was stable, but I felt all nervous.
    46/16T gearing with 25c tires.

I am nervous about going down the "bridge" here on the fixed bike. With a small tailwind, I can get to 38-43MPH. Top speed with a big tailwind was 46 mph. NO WAY I will try that fixed. I will be riding the brakes the whole way down!

I am a good sprinter, but I could not hold speeds like that for long. Maybe on my geared bike for a while. That has a 51/11 gearing.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

No Crybabies

cool

Well, I guess it is. But that thread with guys going downhill got me thinking I was slow. I has spent after that. I was sprinting as fast I could for that time. Like a Time trial. HR was 91% of LTH.

I ended up going home real slow, real slow. I just check the computer again, I was wrong 10:31 min.

I felt like I was going to crash at any moment with my legs turning like crazy. The Madison was stable, but I felt all nervous.
    46/16T gearing with 25c tires.

I am nervous about going down the "bridge" here on the fixed bike. With a small tailwind, I can get to 38-43MPH. Top speed with a big tailwind was 46 mph. NO WAY I will try that fixed. I will be riding the brakes the whole way down!

I am a good sprinter, but I could not hold speeds like that for long. Maybe on my geared bike for a while. That has a 51/11 gearing.
    Try to hold those rpms for too long, and you might throw a rod. Seriously, it could put some strain on the knees.

I'm getting ready to order a 90 tooth chainring for me timetrial bike, shooting for 70 mph down a mountain near here. I'll let you know how it goes. (thread in Racing: Another goofy downhill project? )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

RoadBikeReview Member
    Doug,

You ought to get someone to ride pace in front of you just once to see what that is like and what speed you can crank out. I'll never do it, but I'd like to read about it here - not in the paper.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"She loves to limbo. That much is clear. She's got the right dynamic for the New Frontier"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I hit my fastest speed ever in 3 months of fixed riding today. 28.6 mph avg for 10.31 min.

impressive, dirt boy, no way I could do that. THere is nothing more fun then being on a flat that is just right for the fixie gearing that you have and you just go. THat is "spiritual" time for me, LOL. Nice goin'.

b21

eRacer
    Wow. That is impressive. I've never done that downhill with a tailwind, and for 12 minutes.
    It's a wonder your quads didn't start to 'smoke'.
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

No Crybabies

might

Quote Originally Posted by David Loving
    Doug,

You ought to get someone to ride pace in front of you just once to see what that is like and what speed you can crank out. I'll never do it, but I'd like to read about it here - not in the paper.
    I think I feel safer riding alone down a hill, rather than pacing a vehicle. You can get some nasty turbulence, you can be vulnerable to hit things in the road that you can't see. I had this happen once following a Jeep down a hill at 45 mph. Gets a little dicey.

The big hill I have done this on maxes around 8%. There are some much, much steeper hills around, but they are narrower and twistier roads. There is one closer to home that I can hit 50 mph on without trying, and have been as high as 56 mph. Just have to be ready to grab lots of brake right after topping out. What's really fun about the long hill is averaging 50 mph for 8 miles, though.

The ultimate would be to travel out to Death Valley and use a monster gear on a time trial bike down Towne's Pass. I hit 64 mph there in the dark, on a regular road bike, no radical tuck, and it goes on for 18 miles and drops 5,000 feet. Getting up the hill is a problem, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    that thread with top speeds of fixed gears made me seem like a schmuck but after more reading and realized they were all downhill speeds I felt much much better! i think your speed is much to be proud of, good job!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Wow, that's fast!

triathlete, commuter
    Aug 2008
    Saturday, I rode my fixie (also 46x16) for my weekend training ride with a group (I'd never done that before)

The fastest I got to was 24mph on a flat and that was for only a minute or so. I hit 29mph on a low hill for a brief period. I was very pleased to end a 50mi ride with a 17.8mph avg...the legs were pretty tired for my sunday run, but today feel great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I don't know how true this table is, but maybe it could be a general rule to go by.

http://software.bareknucklebrigade.c...it.applet.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    :cool :..... 220+ rpms -------------right :

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadster99
    :cool :..... 220+ rpms -------------right :
    Really??? You want to come count? If I can't hit 220 RPM with just a little resistance, then I will pay for the flight and hotel.

Did I say with the resistance cranked all the way? I seen guys go much higher (Semi-pros). Its not as hard as you think. Yes, We used a cadence sensor.
    DIRT BOY

Life Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed
    I think I feel safer riding alone down a hill, rather than pacing a vehicle. You can get some nasty turbulence, you can be vulnerable to hit things in the road that you can't see. I had this happen once following a Jeep down a hill at 45 mph. Gets a little dicey.
    The thing to pace is a motorcycle. They don't want to hit anything you don't want to hit.

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Val_Garou
    The thing to pace is a motorcycle. They don't want to hit anything you don't want to hit.

or a hatchback or van with the rear door propped open... you won't get turbulence, the vehicle "pulls" you along. a jeep is the wrong vehicle. and if your driver isn't a bonehead you won't hit anything in the road, or the vehicle doing the motorpacing