Travels by Map

New bike: Swobo Del Norte

Bonktown had the Del Norte on sale for a pretty decent price recently, $370 plus shipping. I had been looking at replacing my old Nishiki because it's just too big and uncomfortable, even for the short rides to the subway and errands. I was going to order a Windsor TimeLine from bikes direct, but decided the Swobo was closer to what I wanted.

Swobo has a funny box. It was sitting in my house since Thursday afternoon before I put it together on Saturday. I didn't even open the box until I knew I had time to put it together. The only changes I'll make are adding fenders and I may need to level the saddle. My spin around the neighborhood makes me think it will be a good fit for what I want, but I'm going to have to get it dirty ASAP so I feel better about locking it at the subway. It looks too new right now!

Pictures.
    1. One part of the box
    2. The complete bike
    3. The bike being replaced (going to my dad if he wants it, a swap meet if not)

By the way, Bonktown has had both the Swobo Del Norte and the Swobo Sanchez listed at least once or twice since I made this purchase. Both get listed for $370.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bike: Swobo Del Norte-delnorte-img00242-20110430-1458.jpg   New bike: Swobo Del Norte-delnorte-img00248-20110430-1611.jpg   New bike: Swobo Del Norte-commute3.jpg  

the fist
    i wondered about those swobo bikes, been on bonktown ffor quite a while...

I really like that nishiki frame, too
    FlexiSexual

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    You got a great deal! I've had my Del Norte for 6 or 7 months now, and it's one of the best bike purchases I've ever made. I use it for daily commuting and weekend road riding. It's very comfortable, and the handling is superb; great cornering and nice weight distribution. I put some Salsa road bars on mine, and a White Industries freewheel, but it's otherwise stock.

Enjoy!

Travels by Map
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHenry
    i wondered about those swobo bikes, been on bonktown ffor quite a while...

I really like that nishiki frame, too
    I like the Nishiki well enough for what it was, but once I got a better fitting more modern bike in 2004 I realized that the Nishiki fit very poorly and just isn't comfortable for me. I have had it for about 25 years and got many miles out of it, but time to get rid of it.