Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Okay cool. I live a few blocks from Hardcore so I will go there this week. As for the velodrome, I'll have to wait till spring to find people there think. I might be riding on the track with Velocity this summer so I will meet people then.

Yes of all the Proctor photos I have seen, they have had a Proctor fork. And "Proctor" on the seat stays.

It could have been built by none of these frame builders. Still I would love to get a new dropout brazed on. I have heard that there is maybe a frame builder in nisku? But I couldn't get his name. I could try it myself, but I would hate to ruin the frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Try Pedalhead Roadworks on Whyte and 96th. They have a contact for a frame builder named Stephen Breye. They could hook you up with him for a repair possibly, or tell you if the frame is even worth investing in. He also has access to a pretty decent powder coater at a pretty decent price. Where did you get this frame from anyway?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I meet up with a few people at co-op (EBC) when I first moved here. And I found this frame and fork hanging in the back. I didn't grab it at first, but once I looked at it I knew I had to build it up and see if it fit me. First it was built up at a fixed gear because of the lack of a hanger. But once I found a adapter I put some gears on it.

I'll try to get to pedalhead and hardcore this week and see what info I can find out. Again thanks for the help with this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

Proctor

I raced for Brad Proctor. He sponsored a small group of us. I had a sweet 753 set up for the road and and it was a wonderful crit bike. We also had an experimental TT bike.

He eventually had a falling out with Bob Townsend. Shame.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

great picture

Is that the Glenmore velodrome in Calgary? I was not into riding track when I lived there, missed out on a fun opportunity. I am very lucky to have an outdoor velodrome about 5 minutes from my house now.

As for my Proctor Townsend, it's a keeper. I don't ride it a whole lot in its current fixed configuration and sometimes I think about putting a road group set on it to give it more use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    I agree, I'd have a hard time parting with mine. Ride it everyday to work when it's not snowing. I rebuilt it with alloy Centaur, some Vittoria Pave's, Brooks saddle/tape, and some bamboo fenders.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    That is the Argyle Velodrome. Well this thread has me on the hunt for a 753 proctor. I now ride a Cannondale Super 6 and Felt B2 but I am longing for my old road bike for leisure rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Stopped in the co-op after work and walked into some great donations. Local hand-built Proctor with campy. It was completely covered in black grime when I saw it. 531 frame and fork, 57cm sq. so it is one the edge of being too small for me. with the post just under the height limit the fit is good I just need to raise the stem a bit and maybe swap it out for a long one. The bad part is the rings or the spider is bent and the stem is frozen in the fork. I'll be hitting it with some ammonia later today. It has the angles still on the seat and head tube lugs. I think it will make a good cafe/commuter/light touring bike.

More Photos
    http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/h...il240/Proctor/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cool - another Proctor! It's great to see one more - good luck with your project!
    Ride on...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Proctor frame

Just a note Jim Moulden apprenticed with Brad Proctor. When they were Proctor/Townsend frames. The serial number I believe is 721 I know when I raced a Proctor the numbering was sequential and that it represented the serial as well as the number built.

I would love to find a 54 cm 531 Reynolds frame from Proctor or Moulden and rebuild it with the knowledge that I raced one in the 80"S.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugwithdog
    Just a note Jim Moulden apprenticed with Brad Proctor. When they were Proctor/Townsend frames. The serial number I believe is 721 I know when I raced a Proctor the numbering was sequential and that it represented the serial as well as the number built.

I would love to find a 54 cm 531 Reynolds frame from Proctor or Moulden and rebuild it with the knowledge that I raced one in the 80"S.
    I have a 54 Proctor in lugged 531 from about '83. Before Townsend got his name on the bike. No serial number. I torn with what to do with it. I just bought an MXL, so this thing is going to sit. I was thinking of getting it powder coated and giving it to my dad.
    You are obviously from e-town?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Proctor Townsend-proctorsml.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Originaly from the the big E managed Two Wheel Resource just before it turned to George's on Whyte. Still racing and riding but living in Van.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Smile Proctor/Townsend frames

Guys,,, Its freakin awesome to see that there is still Proctor lovers out there. I came about this site looking to show a buddy of mine the frames I used to work on. I was a painter for Gary Townsend, who was the master frame builder for these bikes. Just so happens to be my father-in-law.

To recap what I've read: Moulden and Townsend did not really get along so asking about Townsend frames with Jim Moulden your always going to get a biased opinion. Bob Townsend and Brad Proctor never had a falling out, Bob bought the business from Brad and kept the name.

About the late 90's High Country sport was sold and Bob never went back into bikes due to the market saturation of decent manufactured frames at lower prices. He does however have a son-in-law (Kim Steed) in Vancouver who has a bike shop (Steed Cycles).

If you guys need information I can see about getting it for you as all of his frames were hand made and it wansn't until the later years that Gary started signing his frames.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12