Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

Proctor Townsend

yes, i'm a lurker -- last post was months ago... anyway, i thought i'd canvass for feedback on the above captioned frame. I've ordered a new build at my LBS. My man Ed at Vitasport Cycles is putting it together. I will miss Ed when I move to the East Coast in a couple of weeks. I've found him to be honest, gracious and patient with my dumb questions and maoevering to get a deal... Ed is a wizard, but doesn't give deals. On Ed: one man shop, rides a Full Record DeRosa Protos, listens to classica/world music on public (and what sounds like shortwave) radio, has quite a collection of old stock parts and vintage posters, eats his lunch in the shop every day, is an excellent wit,... and he's about 70 but could likely kick my butt on a hill climb.

On the new bike: the frame is a NOS Proctor Townsend, made in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Made with 531 tubing and I believe Cinelli lugs. Fork ends are Campag. It's the colour of an airport fire truck.

My components of choice: complete NOS Zeus pista gruppo -- 46x17. Don't know the model but I will post when it's ready. 3TTT bar, stem, Chorus headset (although I can opt for a Zeus to match). Brand spanking NOS Zeus levers with the freshest hoods you can imagine. 3TTT sprint saddle in black suede. NOS Mavic GP4 tubulars with Tufos.

I think it will look sharp and feel a considerable bit tighter than my previous two fixers that I put together myself with Ed's help on the wheels.

If you know anything about Proctors, let's hear it. Any guesses on price?

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    I've never heard of a Proctor but I can't wait to see it...It sounds very cool
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

Proctor build complete

Ed at Vitasport built a very tight, smooth-as-butter ride that I will be enjoying for a long time. As soon as I took the pictures, I disassembled and packed it for travel. Can't wait to get it on the road in my new locale.

Zeus Pista drilled ring (46). Zeuss 170 road cranks; 18 Miche cog makes a pretty easy ride. Zeus Pista BB makes for very slight chain ring clearance against the chainstay when mounted on the inside of spider. 80mm 3T stem with 3T bar and 3T SL saddle. Levers, hubs, rims... everything... NOS. I'll be keeping an eye out in future for a 3T or Zeus seatpost as well as front caliper to complete the package. Kind of disappointed I didn't go for the Zeus headset available, although I know where it is when I can afford a couple of extras. Had the Chorus lying around.

After two builds of my own, I really appreciate nice tubing and a nicely assembled bike. HAve to shorten the brake cable when I get a chance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Proctor Townsend-dsc02989.jpg   Proctor Townsend-dsc02990.jpg   Proctor Townsend-dsc02992.jpg   Proctor Townsend-dsc02998.jpg   Proctor Townsend-dsc02999.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I dig Proctors. Any more pics?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Another Proctor!!! Cool!

I came across this thread while doing a search for fixie cranks, of all things.

I'm in the process of building up my old Proctor as a fixie, so it's cool to see another one of the forum. Mine is a "non-Townsend" Proctor, circa approximately 1984, before Brad Proctor partnered with Townsend. As far as I know, he built and sold the bikes out of a bike shop in Edmonton. Even had a racing team at the time. My Dad had a bike built for himself in 1989, all Campy NR and Modolo stuff. Bright red, beautiful!

I still have an old brochure kicking around somewhere...he built a TT model, a touring model, and 2 racing models. I think they were all 531, although one model may have been 753?

Mine is a lugged 531 frame and fork, I've had it for about 12 years, and could never bear to sell it. It really needs new paint, partly because I've never liked the colour, and it's starting to look tired.

Here's a photo of it in it's geared state. I'll post the fixie version once it's built.

Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I wouldn't fixie it but that is just me. There should be a fair number of his track bikes floating around from the Argyle velodrome days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Maybe...

But I'm not living in Edmonton anymore!

Besides, I want something with road geometry, for longer rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, what a nice bike! Both!!
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"She loves to limbo. That much is clear. She's got the right dynamic for the New Frontier"

Yo no fui.
    That bike is ginormous.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Talking Of course it is...it's owned by a ginormous rider!

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    That bike is ginormous.
    Actually, it's only 62cm c-c, but you're right. It does look big in that photo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    You don't see many PT's kicking around town anymore. Very rare these days. Those that have them know what they have and treat them very well. Nice bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    To bring this back up...
    I got a phone call from a guy yesterday who was looking to get rid of a Colnago from the early 80's. I told him what I thought it was worth. Then he said he had an old Proctor. I said I'm comming to see it! It's in pretty rough shape and needs lots of work, but I should have time over the winter to get it done. It's been sitting for 20 years, what's another few months?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    That was really smart to get a gear ready bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Since info on Proctor-Townsend Frames is hard to come by I figured I'd jump in with some info and pics.

This thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...or#post8946335 has some good info from "SixtyFiver", who seems pretty plugged in to bikin' in Edmonton.

This thread has a bit more info: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=527764

And here's mine, a filthy $100 UsedVictoria find, set up fixed/singlespeed with an '80's 600 group.

As purchased:

Now:

Fork crown detail:

I'm not yet sure if it fits, or if I want to keep it fixed, but it sure is a nicely built frame. Long, tapered lugs, reinforcements around the water bottle bosses, unique fork crown, VERY nice (and apparently tough) paint job...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's mine - it's for sale...(Mississauga, ON, Canada)

some details:

it's a Classic Custom Built Road Racing Bike from the 80's (1986) - I am the original owner

Price: $850 CDN - or - BEST OFFER

This is a custom built frame - Made in Canada by Brad Proctor
    - Proctor also built track bikes for Olympic Champion Curt Harnett

Frame Size: Large 57.5cm C to C
    Tubing: Reynolds 531

Components:

Wheels: Mavic MA-40 Clincher rims, Swiss DT SS spokes, Dura Ace hubs
    Tires: Vredestein Fortezza 700x23C

Brakes: Dura Ace
    Brake Levers: Shimano 600 Aero

Cranks: Shimano 600 42-52T
    Freewheel: Regina CX 14-19T (WITH REMOVAL TOOL)

Derailleurs:
    Front: Dura Ace AX
    Rear: Dura Ace
    Shifters: Suntour Superbe Pro (friction - non-indexed)

Handlebars: 42cm Specialized Criterium Bars (VERY HARD TO FIND NOW)
    Stem: Specialized

Seat Post: American Classic Aluminum
    Seat: Turbo

Pedals: Look - the original Clipless Pedal !!! (Delta Cleat)

This bike has been maintained very carefully and rides beautifully

Last edited by Superd222; 12-01-2009 at 06:12 PM.
    Ride on...

RoadBikeReview Member
    A few more pics...

Ride on...

RoadBikeReview Member
    two more...

Ride on...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Proctor/Townsend/Moulden???

Ok I need some help with this frame I have been ride now for a bit. I got it from a co-op and it was hanging out back and just the right size for me. So I grabbed it and built it up and have been riding/loving it. But I have had a few people telling me different stories on the frame. One person told me it is a handmade Moulden frame; another said it was a Proctor frame. There are no decals on the frame just a Reynolds 531 on the seat tube.

The frame has nuvex lugs from what I can tell. Also there is no braze-ons on the frame. The bad part of it is that the hanger was cut off the frame, then it was re-painted.

On the bottom bracket there is a stamp of 72I I believe it looks like an I and not a 1.

If anyone has any suggestion as to where to go or who to contact about finding out more about the frame and/or getting new decals made for it that would be so helpful

And sorry for the super crappy cell phone pictures. I will try for better ones soon.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_240
    Ok I need some help with this frame I have been ride now for a bit. I got it from a co-op and it was hanging out back and just the right size for me. So I grabbed it and built it up and have been riding/loving it. But I have had a few people telling me different stories on the frame. One person told me it is a handmade Moulden frame; another said it was a Proctor frame. There are no decals on the frame just a Reynolds 531 on the seat tube.

The frame has nuvex lugs from what I can tell. Also there is no braze-ons on the frame. The bad part of it is that the hanger was cut off the frame, then it was re-painted.

On the bottom bracket there is a stamp of “72I” I believe it looks like an “I” and not a 1.

If anyone has any suggestion as to where to go or who to contact about finding out more about the frame and/or getting new decals made for it that would be so helpful

And sorry for the super crappy cell phone pictures. I will try for better ones soon.
    Where are these crappy pics you speak of?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Sorry I just my computer posted that before I could add the photos.

Here they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Proctor Townsend-img00111.jpg   Proctor Townsend-img00112.jpg   Proctor Townsend-img00116.jpg   Proctor Townsend-img00114.jpg   Proctor Townsend-img00113.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Not a Moulden.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    okay that rules out one. Any ideas how I could find out if it is a Proctor or Townsend then? And get some decals make up for when the bike gets painted. I'm located in Edmonton But I moved here from Halifax, and I'm not too familiar with the bike scene yet.

Thanks
    Neil

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    I don't think that Jim ever did any lugged work, but I could be wrong. I usually am. I would say it's certainly not a Moulden, likely not a Proctor. The lugs on Proctors are different than your frames. And what makes you think it was repainted? Looks original to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    It was just an idea in my head that it might have been striped of all the brazeons, and the hanger. Then repainted, but I too could be wrong on that.

Still leaves a question of who built this bike. And how I should rebuild it.

thanks for the info.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_240
    okay that rules out one. Any ideas how I could find out if it is a Proctor or Townsend then? And get some decals make up for when the bike gets painted. I'm located in Edmonton But I moved here from Halifax, and I'm not too familiar with the bike scene yet.

Thanks
    Neil
    Two ways to officially rule out what it's not. Take it to Hardcore Bikes on Whyte. That's where Moulden worked out of. They would be able to confirm what others here already have suggested, that it's not a Moulden.

Second, take it to the Argyle Velodrome some night. There are a few old timers there that seem to know/recall every frame Proctor made. If this is a Proctor it is likely a very early one before he added the partner Townsend name. Original decal may have said T.B. Proctor in white. I really don't think it is a Proctor though. Even very early he was making his own forks, and frames had a bit of poorly done pantographing on them. Mine is one of his early frames and it has very different lugs, some pantographing, 531 fork blades, and braze on's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast