RoadBikeReview Member

Pure Fix Cycles: $345 Urban Fixed Gear

Hey guys, I have a friend that's in the market for a fixed gear for an urban enviroment (lunch breaks, city cruizing, ect.). Have any of you herd of Pure Fix Cycles? Thoughts?

Pure Fix Cycles: 5 Urban Fixed Gear-pure-fix-cycles-bikes-4.jpg
    Pure Fix Cycles: 5 Urban Fixed Gear-pure-fix-cycles-bikes.jpg
    Amazon link: Amazon.com: Pure Fix Cycles Fixed Gear Single Speed Urban Fixie Bike: Sports & Outdoors

They seem to offer quite an assortment of models and priced affordably. He is looking to spend <$400. Any other recomendations in the price range?

Cumudgitude
    I've never heard of the company. Looking at the copy on Amazon I understand why. They're pumping out the same cheap junk that flooded the fixed market and takes advantage of people who don't know any better. It's better than no bike, but not by much. Here's a few things to consider:

Hi-ten steel isn't something to brag about. They may as well say their bikes are made from "genuine metal". Similarly machine tigged forks isn't something to celebrate. This is the equivalent to saying their bikes "aren't made in my neighbor's basement!"

I recognized three of the component manufacturers they mentioned. Two of the three raise red flags. The Oury grips have a pretty good reputation. Everything else is either known for falling apart or a badge slapped on a no-name component to make it look fancy.

50mm rims look cool. It's a lot of surface area for color. They're also heavy. If the fashion is worth it, go for it a ride happy. But a wheel with shallower rims will weigh significantly less and will have less inertia to overcome when accelerating or climbing.

I would suggest your friend hit Bikes Direct. If the price range were closer to $600-$700 I'd say hit your local bike shop (LBS). I'm a big fan of supporting your local shop. Hell supporting my local shop got me a job there. Unfortunately you probably won't find much that's good at an LBS in the current price range.

When doing this kind of shopping there's another element worth keeping in mind. It's far easier to upgrade components than frames. Get the frame that fits and get the best one you can. If possible get a frame that comes with good wheels. Brakes, stems, saddles, bars, et cetera, are cheaper and take less work to swap out than a fork or a frame.
    If you only ride in nice weather you're missing a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Had fun building up a bike... Check!
    Having fun riding... Check!
    The rest is just details.

RoadBikeReview Member

Re: Pure Fix Cycles: $345 Urban Fixed Gear

Thanks for your reply. Your opinion on them is similar to mine. They actually sell these at our LBS for $379.

I've bought a few bikes from BD and had pretty good luck so he was also looking at the Kilo WT and the PhantomCross UNO. Just wasn't sure how'd they would compare. He wants a riser bar instead of drops but that's easy enough to swap out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    UrbanPrimitive nailed the answer. Flawless victory.

RoadBikeReview Member

Re: Pure Fix Cycles: $345 Urban Fixed Gear

Well despite my advice on considering a different bike, he ordered a Pure Fix through our LBS.

They said these fixies have been pretty hot sellers and with them and being a single speed there isn't much that can go wrong. They also informed him that the Hi-Ten steel frame absorbs bumps better than a 4140 Chromolly frame and is only a half pound heavier.

I'll report back his impressions and experience after a few months.

Cumudgitude
    Quote Originally Posted by GEARHEAD_ENG View Post
    . . . being a single speed there isn't much that can go wrong. They also informed him that the Hi-Ten steel frame absorbs bumps better than a 4140 Chromolly frame and is only a half pound heavier.
    There's less that can go wrong because there are fewer parts, but there's plenty that can go wrong on cheap single speed. As for the Hi-Ten frame absorbing bumps better, I have only one thing to say -

Stop going to that shop.

Not being there and not knowing the folks who work there I can't say anything with certainty. But the impression I got from that paragraph leads me to believe the shop is populated by chuckleheads looking to move product. Sounds like a bike store, not a bike shop.
    If you only ride in nice weather you're missing a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Had fun building up a bike... Check!
    Having fun riding... Check!
    The rest is just details.