hold my beer n watch this

Salsa Casseroll Single?

Anyone have a ride report on the Casseroll Single?

I've seen a geared version in person and I see mention of the single here in the forums but does anyone have any experiece with one?

Thanks,
    Flyn G

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FlynG
    Anyone have a ride report on the Casseroll Single?

I've seen a geared version in person and I see mention of the single here in the forums but does anyone have any experiece with one?

Thanks,
    Flyn G
    I have one..it's set up as a single speed....I love the bike....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Casseroll Single?-salsa-casseroll.jpg   Salsa Casseroll Single?-s1.jpg   Salsa Casseroll Single?-s2.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    I have one..it's set up as a single speed....I love the bike....
    You have the best bikes! Have you ever done one post with ALL your bikes?

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Lancezneighbor, thanks for the kind words..I'll have to do that some day...I have pictures of all of them
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    Lancezneighbor, thanks for the kind words..I'll have to do that some day...I have pictures of all of them
    Thats a thread starter I want to see. When I have a spare couple of hours. Seems to be a sudden surge of salsa posting the last couple of days, NTTAWWT.

I would like to see Hickey's collection too, or in the lounge you could have a collection of hickeys. budda bump I'll be here all week, tip your waitress.....

But back to the Casseroll Single. I'm still interested in someone with an actual Single model from Salsa. All I have see is pix of them. I have seen the Casseroll frame built up as a single and a fixie but not the factory version. I'm just looking for info.

I think Ms G is about to pull the trigger on one this Weds. She scheduled a fit session for that day. I think it will fit her needs fairly well. I know she will need a bit lower gear and white bar tape to match her white female spec saddle.

Flyn G

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by FlynG
    I would like to see Hickey's collection too, or in the lounge you could have a collection of hickeys. budda bump I'll be here all week, tip your waitress.....

But back to the Casseroll Single. I'm still interested in someone with an actual Single model from Salsa. All I have see is pix of them. I have seen the Casseroll frame built up as a single and a fixie but not the factory version. I'm just looking for info.

I think Ms G is about to pull the trigger on one this Weds. She scheduled a fit session for that day. I think it will fit her needs fairly well. I know she will need a bit lower gear and white bar tape to match her white female spec saddle.

Flyn G

there was a dude that turned a single into 1x9 for his wife, posted fairly recently

Done with winter.
    I think the stock spec is as good as you could put together on a decent budget yourself and better than most of the other off-the-shelf SS bikes. Surly hubs, Sugino crank... everything is name brand, nothing suspicious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I think it looks very nice. Only problem is you can't buy it in the UK! I rang the distributor etc and they said its only available in the states.

Old an creaky

I do

Well, just over 3000 miles so far anyway. It's become my favorite all-rounder. Gone through some changes. Currently set up with Phil to Delgado Cross wheels, Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 700x35 meats, Phil Ti BB, Moots post, Ritchey WCS stem, Kestrel Carbon Bars, stock RD-2 Crank w/ 39T Salsa ring, WI 17T Freewheel, stock brakes. I ride a lot of gravel and mostly at night after the kids are in bed so I was looking for something light (realtive ~18 lbs) and forgiving. The longest ride I've done in one sitting was 212 miles at the Dirty Kanza 200 (12 miles extra curricular night time sight seeing). Also 10 or 12 Gravel/Dirt road centuries. Some of RAGBRAI with the trailer bike (39x19). Lots of burley pullin' grocery gittin'.

Clearance can be a bit tight in mucky conditions (photo from Jason Boucher)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Casseroll Single?-3x1.jpg   Salsa Casseroll Single?-a_moon.jpg   Salsa Casseroll Single?-a_fat_guy.jpg  
    Last edited by vatukoula gold; 09-12-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: add pics

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004
    I just picked one up Thursday. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet other than around the block. Paint job is better than expected - the Salsa site doesn't do it justice.

I'm out the door in an hour or so to try it out - more info then......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by godot
    I'm out the door in an hour or so to try it out - more info then......

So I guess we'll all spend the next hour or so waiting for Godot.

Badump. Thanks, everyone, I'll be here all week

Well we pulled the trigger on one for the wife. I'm not sure on the size, I'm thinking they may have gone a size too big.

How are you guys finding the sizing compared to your other bikes?

Flyn G

Done with winter.
    Salsa has a strange sizing system... take a look at their geometry and as always, go by horizontal tt length (mostly.)

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004
    Still haven't gone for a ride - New neighbors with a yellow lab - now my large puppy has become an escape artist and goes over there to steal tennis balls out of their yard. Instead of riding I've been patching the mesh on the fence. Fun times.

Looking at the Casseroll geometry chart the frame measures 3cm smaller than std frame. I ride a 62cm frame normally - bought the 59cm CRoll and was able to get it setup to the exact same measurements. Seems consistent across the sizes. They list the sloping and traditional size on the geo chart.
    http://www.salsacycles.com/casserollCompSS08.html

Hope your wife enjoys her new bike. I'm leaving now.

I'd hate to keep BianchiJoe waiting any longer....

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004
    BianchiJoe - last comment was a joke, your post cracked me up.

The C-Roll - I now have 30 whole miles on it (and I've got New Toy-itis), so a rather limited scope here. It's absolutely safe to say that it is definitely the most laterally stiff yet vertically compliant bike I've ever ridden. It explodes forward when you stand on the pedals, and climbs like a mountain goat wearing crampons. Although I do worry about all the CF parts exploding or melting when exposed to sunlight or water.

Back to reality - it's just fun. Don't know how else to describe it. Very smooth riding. I spend most of my time on a Al racing bike, or an Al CX bike. This bike seems smoother. Handling seems neutral, not as twitchy as the road bike and not the "steering the love boat" feel of the CX bike. I don't foresee the CX bike (my normal winter bike) getting a ton of use, this ride is just too enjoyable.

I'm going to take it out on my standard 50 mile hilly loop tomorrow, should be fun. I'm very happy, think it's hard to go wrong with this bike.

Thanks for the update.....

Ours should be in later next week and then we will see if we have to swap it for a smaller version or not.

Flyn G

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Hey Dave, are those Soma Sparrow bars with road levers?

It's in and it fits, who knew we would need the same size frame. I was wondering why she took to my SS 29er so well.

Anyway she has her new Casseroll trimmed with white tape to match her white female specific seat. I'll try to get a pix this weekend wx permitting. We took it on a first ride last night to Sonic for a jr banana split and back. 6 mile round trip, first night ride for her too.

Great ride!

She just wants the gearing lowered a bit for our rolling hills. I already have a 39T chainring coming so we should be good.

Flyn G