Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    My cheap Shimano has lasted a while. It has the usual annoying sounds every once in a while, but not too bad. I had an ACS that I put on my gf's bike. It seemed to be a bit better quality and sounded better. You could go all out and buy a WI/Echo, but the cheap ones last a while. Won't cost much to replace either. Just have a fixed cog on the other side along with the proper tools just incase you have a failure.

RoadBikeReview Member

3x30=90

At least I think that's good math.

I've been riding/racing SS cx and road for a couple of years, both bikes use freewheels, and neither have a WI mounted. I've been buying what's available, and cheap. I have discovered that the Shimanos seem to last longer than the others. After about 500 miles on an ACS, that random clunk begins. Back off for a second and start pedalling again, repeat until I get the best "pawl alignment" and it's silent again. That gets old quick. My lube method- lay the bike on the non-drive side, spin the wheel, drip oil in the gap on the freewheel surface; the spinning sends the oil down into the magical parts on the inside; keep it spinning for a while to work the oil through.

The Shimanos are quite longer, maybe at least 1000 - 2000 miles. Odd pricing locally, some shops have the Shimanos less than ACS and some are the other way. Either 20 or 30 dollars for a cheap imitation, it adds up quick to the price of the WI.

My next one will be WI, but first, I've got a couple of Shimanos to wear out.

Poor Cow

RoadBikeReview Member
    C Cow your lube method works and it sure is nice to be able to hear cars when they are around. Thanks for the great info.
    never,never,never give up

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use a white on one side and a high quality Shimano freewheel on the "active" side and the shimano works great - it does not do all that stuff reported elsewhere. That said, the very best in the market are the White Industries freewheels - the minute I hear a peep out of the dura ace freewheel, it's off in favor of a white ind. freewheel!
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o-x
    I am just finishing up a Masi build with a flip-flop hub. Who makes a good single speed freewheel other than White Industries? I just can't rationalize spending that much on a freecog right now. But it seems that most of the ones I have seen for $20 are certainly not Scottish, they're CRAP!

Is there anything in priced in between $20 and $80 that doesn't sound like they used pebbles for bearings?

Thanks.
    WI FW at bikeman is $70.

No Crybabies

reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by David Loving
    I use a white on one side and a high quality Shimano freewheel on the "active" side and the shimano works great - it does not do all that stuff reported elsewhere. That said, the very best in the market are the White Industries freewheels - the minute I hear a peep out of the dura ace freewheel, it's off in favor of a white ind. freewheel!
    Let's say you were going to take off and ride 1000 miles alone. Which one would you use?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed
    Let's say you were going to take off and ride 1000 miles alone. Which one would you use?
    Funny you ask! Turns out my White Industries 16 freewheel is on the freewheel side of the hub and I put the Dura Ace 17 freewheel on the fixed cog side. I use the 17 now. I decided to swap them, turned the wheel over, and the 16 has my chainline so out of whack that I can't use it! That's not the WI's fault of course. When I installed them I didn't know there is a difference! I'll fix it this weekend...
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed

in dry conditions without a spare?
    are you serious???

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

Number 2 on the course.
    Shimano sells a Dura Ace freewheel?

No Crybabies

chainline?

Quote Originally Posted by David Loving
    Funny you ask! Turns out my White Industries 16 freewheel is on the freewheel side of the hub and I put the Dura Ace 17 freewheel on the fixed cog side. I use the 17 now. I decided to swap them, turned the wheel over, and the 16 has my chainline so out of whack that I can't use it! That's not the WI's fault of course. When I installed them I didn't know there is a difference! I'll fix it this weekend...
    The left and right sides of the hub have different chainlines? How do you fix this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    Shimano sells a Dura Ace freewheel?
    I wish! The Shimanos we get are no better than the ACS Claws. And anything is better than the $10 ACS Maindrives. Now there is a POS!

By the way, it looks like J&B/Origen8 is coming out with a 6 pawl SS freewheel that looks to be about a $40 retail item. So far I've only seen a 16t and I need an 18. Might "split the difference" between the bottom of the heap and the WI's.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o-x View Post
    I am just finishing up a Masi build with a flip-flop hub. Who makes a good single speed freewheel other than White Industries? I just can't rationalize spending that much on a freecog right now. But it seems that most of the ones I have seen for $20 are certainly not Scottish, they're CRAP!

Is there anything in priced in between $20 and $80 that doesn't sound like they used pebbles for bearings?

Thanks.
    Now, there is new ACS crossfire freewheel offered with quite and smooth rides. Try it n you may love it......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Try the new ACS crossfire freewheel, reliable and quite! Awesome feel on paddling.......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    I have seen a vintage TDS made in UK. And sturmley archer Are either of these any good

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12