Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

Question single speed freewheel

I am just finishing up a Masi build with a flip-flop hub. Who makes a good single speed freewheel other than White Industries? I just can't rationalize spending that much on a freecog right now. But it seems that most of the ones I have seen for $20 are certainly not Scottish, they're CRAP!

Is there anything in priced in between $20 and $80 that doesn't sound like they used pebbles for bearings?

Thanks.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're usually right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    I was actually just wondering the same thing..

eRacer
    I have used several
    The ACS CLAWS Freewheel is inexpensive, but fairly noisy/gritty IMO.
    The Shimano SF-MX30 is nice and can be made very quiet if you remove the Coverplate and oil with Phils or any good heavy oil.
    The Shimano SF-1200 is also nice and can be made very quiet with the same treatment.
    Use a Pin-Tool or a punch to remove Coverplate which comes off 'Clockwise'.
    Lots of Ball Bearings so be careful.
    John
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    It's White Industries and the rest....ACS, Shimano, and others are all the same quality..
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

duh...
    nobody

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

Number 2 on the course.
    Shimano is the second best bet, but still a lame child's toy next to White Industries.

hello
    I actually like the sound of a swarm of bees.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

RoadBikeReview Member
    There are some trials freewheels like Echo that cost less than White Industries, but not much.

For me, ACS Claws have been a reliable second-rate freewheel. I like the fact that they are horribly noisy. But there is basically White Industries and everyone else.

Good news everyone!
    I have an ACS. It started out really noisy but I guess I crushed all of the spare metal and sand that it came with into a very fine oily paste and now it's fairly quiet. It still wobbles back and forth and is definitely not a precision instrument. I keep the fixed gear cog on the other side so who cares if it fails.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Jim311, if the ACS fails, you may end up with fixed on both sides of the hub.

Number 2 on the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o-x
    Or you may smash your junk when the pawls fail to catch while hammering up a hill out of the saddle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Good thing this Masi is a girl's slope tube bike, for I would hate to smash my junk when my pawl fails!

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o-x

or completely free on one...

Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I threw my ACS in the solvent tank, blew it out with "Monica" (what our mechanics call the air compressor attachment for "blowing" crap off and out) and then dribbled Phil Wood Tenacious Oil into it for a couple of hours. It definitely smoothed it out and quieted it down, but it still has that annoying random "clunk".

Yep, there is White Industries and everything else.

By the way, with our BMX clientele, we've had more Shimanos go bellyup than ACS. But they're both crap.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

Good news everyone!
    LOL, neither becoming fixed or completely free sounds appealing. I just couldn't bear the thought of spending 80 dollars on a freewheel when I paid 350 for the whole bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jim311 - take a leap of faith and buy a white industries freewheel. Bikeman.com has the best prices I have seen lately.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Good news everyone!
    Is what I'm riding *really* that bad? Maybe if it craps out next week or something I'd consider replacing it but for now it seems to be working alright. I mean I already bought it, why not ride it till it dies?

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Is what I'm riding *really* that bad? Maybe if it craps out next week or something I'd consider replacing it but for now it seems to be working alright. I mean I already bought it, why not ride it till it dies?

It's not bad....I've never had a freewheel fail on me....The cheap ones just clunk, grind, and tick.....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

duh...

ride it until it dies... but also ask yourself, where will it die? and do you feel lucky? well, do ya?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had that attitude until a Shimano died in the middle of my commute. Took me over an hour to walk out of the bike trail I was commuting on to jump on a subway. Not something I want to do again. The kicker is, I had a White Industries freewheel sitting at home brand new in the box. Well I actually had three as I bought them on sale from a guy on MTBR.

I just bought a Masi and the first thing I did when I got home was installed a WI freewheel and a new chain.

Good news everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    It's not bad....I've never had a freewheel fail on me....The cheap ones just clunk, grind, and tick.....

Oh it does make plenty of noise.

Clunk clunk, clunk clunk, clunk clunk... but you get what you pay for, and it was in stock at the LBS as an impulse buy. I have a friend who is running the exact same freewheel on his beater SS MTB that sees mud, water, sand, etc constantly and he has been riding it going on 6 years. When it blows up maybe I'll consider WI but till then...

eRacer
    As a possible quick fix, you might consider soaking it in some Motor Oil to let the oil sink in to maybe lube and quiet the pawls. Wipe and spin and wipe.
    I have done this on a clunky FW, and it helped a little.
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

done
    Aug 2009
    If I've been out in the rain, I'll dribble some Finish Line past the face plate on my ACS freewheel, then spin. I keep repeating until I see crud coming out. It has 2 years on it - though I guess only one year of use since the wheel gets flipped to fixed in the winter. So far so good. And, like someone else said, I kinda like the noise it makes when coasting.

Alx
    RoadBikeReview Member
    you're running a flip-flop hub, if the cheap one fails switch to fixed and ride it home and swap it out, I bet even that cheap one will last longer than you think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Over the past 10 years, I had pretty good luck with Shimano, ACS and even one generic Chinese brand. They would usually start out noisy (when coasting), eventually become silent (coasting - I did like stealth mode), then start knocking under power (time to replace). Only had one almost injurious failure. (My fault - knew I was tempting fate). They didn't last long (maybe a year), but I got my money's worth. That said, I now have 2 WI freewheels, and don't expect to buy another for a few years, if ever. They're totally serviceable/rebuildable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast