ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Singleator and Randonnear bars

I am working on a winter project SS and am looking at the last few parts I need.

Singleator, i have to use one, is Surly the best and why?

Randonnear bars, what are the advantages, what are their positive points, looking at the Nitto bars.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman
    I am working on a winter project SS and am looking at the last few parts I need.

Singleator, i have to use one, is Surly the best and why?

Randonnear bars, what are the advantages, what are their positive points, looking at the Nitto bars.
    I use a Surly on my Bike Friday. As for being the best, I really can't say. I found that mine works better by having the singleator pushing down on the chain like a derailleur.. I've seen them set up bothways, pushing up or pushing down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singleator and Randonnear bars-bfsd.jpg  
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I went cross country on GB rondonneur (sp?) bars and loved them. Wish I had them back but they were taken from me by a Firebird! The advantage is the variety of hand positions. I think rondowhatever means tourist in french.Very comfortable. Never used a singleator. I like horizontal dropouts when I can find 'em.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Just to elaborate slightly on metalhead's post: randonneur bars slope slightly up from the center. When you move your hands from near the stem towards the outside of the bar, you will sit up just a bitónot by much, but just enough to give some tired muscles a rest.

The other nice feature is the slightly splayed-out drops. Your forearms never bump the bar when you ride in the drops, even on cobblestones.

All in all, very comfortable as metalhead said.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Those bars sound like the ticket for a few

of my rides. Old bikes set up as commute/tour bikes, fenders/racks/Brooks saddles etc. The SS will be for long distance rides as well, I think i will grab a set and try them and if I like them, 2 more please!

RoadBikeReview Member
    the surly tensioner works but I'd probably go with a rennen rollenlager if I were in need of a tensioner. my complaint with the surly is that the tension spring can be a bit of a pain. the rennen skips the spring altogether. the rennen, and the soulcraft convert for that matter, use a roller in place of a jockey wheel too. that said, I haven't actually used a rollenlager and when I was using a surly it worked fine once I got it dialed in.

Frog Whisperer
    I have an old set of nitto chromed steel randonneurs on my fixed, I love them..had them since the early 80's, in the spring I intend to replace them with a new set of light weight randonneurs!
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 04-02-2008 at 04:40 PM.