RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

Steamroller Vs. Country Road Bob

I know that Surly almost has a cult following, but the new CRB looks good to me for $699.00. I have a Steamroller on order but am having 2nd thoughts. QBP can't get me a rear hub!!! Please tell me why I should stay with the Steamroller. Also, what is 7005 alloy, the CRB frame material.
    Lew

Fixed Geezer
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LEW 3
    what is 7005 alloy, the CRB frame material.
    Aluminum. Yechhh!

On your left!

7005 alloy

is why I would not recommend the CRB. It is aluminum and it is what 99% of most of today's bike frames are made from. It is strong and can be made very light, it will feel different than the Surly.

If I recall, I think the Surly is 4130 cromolly. But the difference between aluminum and steel is hotly debated, so I off this up only as opinion.

Both materials have their pro's and con's.

Aluminum will not rust, can be light but can ride stiff.

Steel, could rust, not likely unless you park it outside everyday and all night, I'd bet the 4130 frame is heavier than the 7005 but I prefer the feel of steel over aluminum.

For a fast, short course racing rig, I prefer aluminum. For a fun day in the saddle, I prefer steel.

Both bikes should be fine. I have had a Surly Steamroller and loved it. I have had a couple of their other products and they have been great.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Not in the mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle and love play... not fighting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LEW 3
    I know that Surly almost has a cult following, but the new CRB looks good to me for $699.00. I have a Steamroller on order but am having 2nd thoughts. QBP can't get me a rear hub!!! Please tell me why I should stay with the Steamroller. Also, what is 7005 alloy, the CRB frame material.
    Lew

Lew, I drank the Surly Kool-Aid, and I have to say that my '06 Steamroller is the most comfortable bike I've ever owned, and that list is pretty long. The thing just fits me. I love its understated appearance. I love the flat-top lugged fork. I love the chainstay bends. I love the way it steers. It is the most natural feeling bike I've ridden, and it was that way almost from the first ride.

I've never owned an aluminum road bike, simply because my experience with aluminum mountain bikes convinced me that it's the wrong material for me. It's stiff and accelerates like mad, but that stiffness translates to an unforgiving ride. I think fixed gear riding is unforgiving enough as it is.

Surly, a company that I looked at a few years ago with some skepticism, has become my favorite bike company.

Best of luck with your decision.

PS: the Surly blog posted this a few days ago: "you might be interested to know that the following items have passed QC inspection and are either in stock or just about to be:
    Hubs: Some front, some rears. Notably 120mm fixie hubs in all varieties. "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

Amen Brother

What a convincing testimonial. With the help of Andy at Surly my wheel will ship tomorrow. I hope next week I will be posting pictures and ride report.
    Lew

RoadBikeReview Member
    its sounds like you've already made your choice, but Ill try and muddy the waters a bit anyways. I've owned/ridden both bikes, the CRB was my first venture into off the shelf fixies several years ago. I replaced it after a little over a year so I could justify building a steamer. I like both bikes alot, for different reasons. the CRB, being a cx frame, is better suited to cx type use and was generally more comfortable. just my experience on that one and it had alot to do with the way the bikes were set up. however, its not a harsh riding al. frame. the surly was noticably quicker handling and, at least the way I built it, lighter. faster feeling bike all around. but not so much on the versatility like the crb was. both great bikes but for different reasons.