RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Steel Vs. Carbon Fiber frames - iro anyone?

So I've fallen for this iro that I found on velospace.org

Anyone know the frames? Any opinions on this configuration for urban riding?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steel Vs. Carbon Fiber frames - iro anyone?-iro.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Configuration as in no bar tape, no brakes, a front wheel that costs more than the frame, a painted red chain? Um.... no comment. Is that a BMX seat?

And why the "vs. carbon" frames question? Both of my fixed gears are steel--- and I would guess most people are riding steel fixed these days (unless they are riding some new aluminum). IRO are cheap, basic frames made in Asia. They really aren't much of a "brand" per se. It wouldn't stop me from riding one, even it if does have bottle bosses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    fair enough :-) Appreciate the honesty. I'm in the market for a good rig 2 - 4K. Any recommendations? I do like the moyers as well... thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    2K - 4K? You can spend much more than on an IRO.

Quote Originally Posted by aslives
    fair enough :-) Appreciate the honesty. I'm in the market for a good rig 2 - 4K. Any recommendations? I do like the moyers as well... thanks

duh...
    mission bikes?

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by aslives
    So I've fallen for this iro that I found on velospace.org

Anyone know the frames? Any opinions on this configuration for urban riding?
    really nothing special about that frame--at least aesthetically. you could build up pretty much any steel frame with a steel fork and trendy paintjob (and red chain?) to look like that. black and red is kinda passe anymore. It just screams hipster doofus on a fixie to me.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I myself try to never "fall in love" with a bike based on the way it looks. That's certainly important to me, but there are way too many other mechanical and fit things that have to be considered.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hate when the front wheels don't match the rest of the bike. I also hate bikes that just try too hard to look different and cool when it only screams of mis-matching and dis-jointed styling.

2-4k is WAY too much for a street ridden single speed/ fixed gear bike. All that will buy you is ultra lightweight or something extravagant and exotic with little added performance value. If you want to spend that much, you could buy some high end carbon wheels for your steel framed bike. It would be totally innapropriate and it would most likely lower your coolness which you may very well care about. I spent just over 1k on my Iro and I have almost no room to upgrade (i.e. just the headset and stem could be better/lighter)