Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    With the amount some of the yappy mouth pieces in this place ride a program as this would likely save them money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    ........... The store was empty with 3 employees just twiddling around and it is full of hundreds of bicycles.
    This strangely sounds like the description of EVERY Specialized dealer I've been in......
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    probably not. my guess is they size up their customers and if they believe the customer is serious they don't charge. they probably feel taken advantage of. they may get it wrong sometimes and right others. just my guess.
    Probing qualifying questions eliminate the tire kickers. Sales 101.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    This strangely sounds like the description of EVERY Specialized dealer I've been in......
    I have a Specialized dealer near me and have noticed this myself. Granted that it's near work and the only time I go there is during the day on a weekday when things are slow anyway.

One thing I have noticed about this shop is that while they do sell quite a few other brands including Cannondale, they always try to bait and switch to Specialized. Hmmmm.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I have a Specialized dealer near me and have noticed this myself. Granted that it's near work and the only time I go there is during the day on a weekday when things are slow anyway.

One thing I have noticed about this shop is that while they do sell quite a few other brands including Cannondale, they always try to bait and switch to Specialized. Hmmmm.

Prolly because they get a spiff from Specialized.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sooo I went to Gregg's today and they have a new bike on the floor not a demo, but I can ride it for free, not the $100 test ride fee that the Specialized store in Issaquah wants to charge me for riding a dedicated demo bike.

Neophyte
    I could never get over them spelling Gregg with 2 g's on the end when I was a kid... didn't realize it's the family's last name.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    I "demo'd" a Spesh at the chain Mike's Bikes, and they took $100 from me. I didn't end up buying one, but my GF did and they let me transfer that $100 to the purchase price of her bike. I knew what I was getting into, as it was a 24 hour (or maybe the weekend, I don't remember) rental/demo, and not just a tool around the block.

I didn't even ask if they do "test rides" ie - a 5 minute ride around the parking lot "for free", so I don't know if this is a Specialized thing or what. All I know is the Spesh dealers I've been in have a very uptight, rigid, and corporate feel. Eventually I ended up with another evil corporate "big bike", a Trek, and most of those shops were much more laid back. The guy at the shop I ended up buying from even let me ride his personal Emonda, swapping pedals and adjusting the seatpost height, since they didn't have my size in stock. Didn't charge me $100 either!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aruyt View Post
    I "demo'd" a Spesh at the chain Mike's Bikes, and they took $100 from me. I didn't end up buying one, but my GF did and they let me transfer that $100 to the purchase price of her bike. I knew what I was getting into, as it was a 24 hour (or maybe the weekend, I don't remember) rental/demo, and not just a tool around the block.

I didn't even ask if they do "test rides" ie - a 5 minute ride around the parking lot "for free", so I don't know if this is a Specialized thing or what. All I know is the Spesh dealers I've been in have a very uptight, rigid, and corporate feel. Eventually I ended up with another evil corporate "big bike", a Trek, and most of those shops were much more laid back. The guy at the shop I ended up buying from even let me ride his personal Emonda, swapping pedals and adjusting the seatpost height, since they didn't have my size in stock. Didn't charge me $100 either!

I never tried a Spec dealer, but the Trek store let me test ride for free and I bought.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015
    OP did you query the shop at all about the $100 ? What I mean is did you make it clear you just wanted to go for a short test ride not an all day demo ? It just seems strange. Especially for an everyday bike (albeit still quite expensive). I would have had the same reaction, fuggedaboutit.

I recommend Woodinville Bicycle and their sister shop Westside bicycles as Specialized dealers. They are nothing like what has been discussed here re: Specialized dealers.

Don't know about road bikes but they often loan out MTB's for weekend long demo rides no problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    the one I frequent has a demo fleet. The rentals are for a day or week at at time - they charge $50 a day for almost every bike they demo except the very high end custom TI bikes, which are $75 a day I think.

At this shop, test rides are not done on the demo fleet, you test ride what you are buying, and there is no charge for test rides (that's just crazy).

The demo fleet bikes are not for sale until they are taken out of service, usually after two years, then they are sold at a huge discount, but with a full warranty.
    X2 and test ride around the parking lot is FREE.
    Lovin' my Wabi Cycles fixed gear! :)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SundayNiagara View Post
    I never tried a Spec dealer, but the Trek store let me test ride for free and I bought.

I walked into a Specialized store a while back and walked around and looked at stuff. Are they going to send me a bill?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Might be location more than vendor? Most stores around here that have specialized also carry trek and cannondale. None of the various stores I have ridden bikes from regardless of brand ever asked me to pay for taking the bike for a ride, long or short, cheap or expensive, demo or something they just had on the floor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    Might be location more than vendor? Most stores around here that have specialized also carry trek and cannondale.
    Interesting. Most stores that carry Trek don't carry Specialized and vice-versa. Both of these brands require stores to carry a minimum percentage stock. I understand from my shop that Giant is going in that direction too.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    I always thought of trek and specialized being each others biggest competition yet most of the stores I've been to have both in addition to other brands.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=Lombard;5136145]Interesting. Most stores that carry Trek don't carry Specialized and vice

My local Spec dealer also carries Trek. I'd guess they stock about 45% Spec, 45% Trek, and the remaining 10% varies (Salsa, Lemond, different brands of cargo bikes, etc.).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I've paid for it before.

I
    I remember you sayin' you paid the $100 for test riding a disk brake bike.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I once paid 3k to test ride a bike and was told to keep it afterwards...
    Oh cool, you did get the bike with disk brakes then.

Welcome to the club.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I walked into a Specialized store a while back and walked around and looked at stuff. Are they going to send me a bill?
    Wouldn't be surprised, probably have facial recognition technology for their in-store cameras so they know where to send the bill.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised, probably have facial recognition technology for their in-store cameras so they know where to send the bill.
    Well, I guess I better pay it, otherwise Specialized will just sue me

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Well, I guess I better pay it, otherwise Specialized will just sue me
    They just may.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    $100 for a demo is crazy. Good on you for walking out. There's too many good shops that aren't jerks to put up with that.

When I got my bike I was looking at two models, one Trek and one Specialized. The Spec dealer had what I thought was an odd policy, which was that test rides were allowed only in their parking lot. No exceptions for deposit, etc. I get the desire not keep a new bike new, but how do you get a feel for an expensive purchase that is used for hours at a time for 5 minutes in the confines of a parking lot?

The Trek dealer was very reasonable. I left my license and took the bike for a street ride for as long as I wanted. I bought the Trek - mostly because it was far more comfortable for me but the LBS experience helped too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I haven't read 100% of the posts, so this may have already been mentioned, but I think this a classic case of miscommunication.

1. The shop employee should have explained the $100 fee in detail. If I'm trying to sell a bike, I would explain that the $100 buys you a demo. Which generally means that you take the bike home and ride it as much as you want. This time frame is generally 24-48 hours.

2. The OP didn't clearly communicate his intentions until after they left. It would have been very easy to ask what you get for $100. If you didn't like the demo option, you could have asked what it takes to ride the bike for an hour. You could have then said what you stated in your e-mail. Basically, that you know what you are doing and, if this goes right, they are getting a sale.

For some reason, the shop employee was an idiot and the OP seems to be easily offended.
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    One word : wtf??
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    That's three.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    what we've got here...is failure to communicate !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    If by "bike"you mean hooker and "test ride" you mean, wink wink, nudge nudge, then yes, that sounds about right.

Otherwise I'd have told the guy I'd buy the bike cheaper on line.
    Ha! Ha!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast