Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

$100 to test ride a bike?

Last week I had stopped by this store in the rain and was looking at bikes. I saw what I wanted and the guy said to come back when the weather clears and take a test ride, I said I would.
    So today a nice sunny day I rode to this store and walked in and said I was ready for my test ride. They guy said ok I just need $100. I said "for what?" he said "for the test ride" I said "you charge money for a test ride?" he said yes. You will get it taken off the price if you decide to buy it.
    I told him I had never in my life paid money to test ride a bike and walked out. This is a store in Issaquah Washington that sells mostly Specialized bikes. Is this a new trend?

Fecal indicator
    a hundo for a test ride...?

refundable with purchase...?

nah, Homey don't play that...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I've paid for it before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    a hundo for a test ride...?

refundable with purchase...?

nah, Homey don't play that...
    Seems reasonable to me.

It's probably a 24 hour or longer type of deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I paid 100 dollars once to rent a Giant Anthem 27.5 for a few hours...only thing i regret is not packing my pedals and shoes for the trip!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    Last week I had stopped by this store in the rain and was looking at bikes. I saw what I wanted and the guy said to come back when the weather clears and take a test ride, I said I would.
    So today a nice sunny day I rode to this store and walked in and said I was ready for my test ride. They guy said ok I just need $100. I said "for what?" he said "for the test ride" I said "you charge money for a test ride?" he said yes. You will get it taken off the price if you decide to buy it.
    I told him I had never in my life paid money to test ride a bike and walked out. This is a store in Issaquah Washington that sells mostly Specialized bikes. Is this a new trend?

I call that a rental

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like a rental. Local bike shop let me test a mountain bike for a whole weekend. Had a shop let me take out a $13000 bike for a test spin without charging a cent.

a real member's member
    i wish i could charge $10-$20 for test rides on the vintage bikes i sell on craigs. about 80 percent of the time, they buy the bike, but the remainder makes me feel like i did a lot of hand holding for nothing.

it's always a guy that doesn't buy it. the ladies always pull the trigger relatively quickly. i should probably just focus on mixtes.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Ha! LBSs are actively trying to run themselves out of business!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I've paid for it before.
    we're talking about test rides on bikes here....
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post

probably not. my guess is they size up their customers and if they believe the customer is serious they don't charge. they probably feel taken advantage of. they may get it wrong sometimes and right others. just my guess.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    that's my take as well...

lotta whining about not being able to compete with online sales but then gouging the customer for a simple test ride.

genius move.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    $100 for the weekend with the price coming off if you buy it? I can see that.
    $100 for a 5 or 10 mile test ride...
    In Dana Carvey's voice...Not guuuunnnnna do it.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    last two bikes bought on faith. i got lucky. i would very much want to rent for a weekend, but with some bikes next to impossible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    They'd have to pay me $100 to test ride a Specialized. That's insane

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    wish seven cycles had a program like that is all i'm saying.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    They'd have to pay me $100 to test ride a Specialized. That's insane
    After railroading small bike shops for using the name Roubaix, Mike Sinyard has to pay his legal fees somehow.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    but to be fair to the LBS, there are probably a ton of people who test ride their bikes, or go in to their shop to check something out, only to buy online. LBS probably seen it all too often.

if you go into a Ferrari dealer asking for a test ride, they probably say no unless they know you're a potential buyer.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I can understand the OP's frustration if he was looking to test ride a bike in the $1000 - $3000 range, but I can also understand the LBS's position to not let a bunch of "looky-loos" try out $10,000 (or more) bikes for the fun of it. They'll be the same person who will want a discount because the bike has already been ridden.

To the OP, find out when the LBS has demo days. That's when the Specialized Van comes around with demo bikes and will allow you to ride until your hearts content.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I've been in that shop exactly once - I didn't think much of the experience - won't be going back.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I think there's a difference between a demo and a test ride. If I'm going to test ride a bike I'll probably just take it out for a quick spin and wouldn't expect to be charged. I'd expect a demo to involve a half or full day rental rental fee that would be deducted from the total if I ended up buying the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I don't know about this particular shop, but the one I frequent (same general area but not a Specialized dealer) has a demo fleet. The rentals are for a day or week at at time - they charge $50 a day for almost every bike they demo except the very high end custom TI bikes, which are $75 a day I think.

At this shop, test rides are not done on the demo fleet, you test ride what you are buying, and there is no charge for test rides (that's just crazy).

The demo fleet bikes are not for sale until they are taken out of service, usually after two years, then they are sold at a huge discount, but with a full warranty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What?? Must be a mental retardation test. I paid $0 to test drive my first BMW M3 (E46) back in 2006. I bought it at $59k as there were no discounts (as usual on M cars) To ask a penny for any sillly ass bicycle is beyond hilarious.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    So was the LBS going to customize the bike for the test -- install your pedals, move the seat to fit you, etc.?

If there was custom fitting work and minor modifications involved in order to make the test ride tailored to your riding specs, I can see the hundred bucks.

If it was "go ahead and take around the block" for 100 bucks, I'm not seeing it. In this case, I can sort of understand the LBS owner's frustration... since the LBS is selling a mass market brand like Specialized, the LBS owner figures you're going to see if you like it with a test ride, then go off and buy it online somewhere for a lot cheaper than the LBS.

Brick and mortar stores are going the way of the dinosaur. Kind of sucks for everybody except the online retailers.

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    probably not. my guess is they size up their customers and if they believe the customer is serious they don't charge. they probably feel taken advantage of. they may get it wrong sometimes and right others. just my guess.
    Maybe more like sizing up their customer base... 30 years ago Issaquah was pretty much "way out there" with cows and stuff... now it is full of Microsoft execs and the like.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast