RoadBikeReview Member

$120 Chris King / Rapha Espresso Tamper

Now I have truly seen it all... I wonder if it comes in carbon for those mornings where every second counts... Apologies in advance if anyone has one of these and I am failing to see the value here... I am a caffeine addict, so please enlighten me... Good riding... Colorider

Chris King Espresso Tamper | Rapha

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Good espresso is all about fresh roasted beans, a quality grinder, and the proper tamp.

That said, this is still about double the price for very high quality machined tamper. My QuickMill baskets do take a 58 mm tamper, though...

PIITWhat?
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider7 View Post
    please enlighten me
    Some people are willing to pay a premium for things they enjoy. Plus, it matches your $120 CK salt and pepper shakers!

That said, I'm not sure why it's so much more expensive than the non-Rapha version. Ooooo! It's got a pink bit and an R! What a collabo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    All good points -- especially the one by Love Commander about paying a premium for things that one enjoys and will get incredible use out of -- can't disagree with that one bit -- I just had no idea a "proper" tamper was remotely in this price range at all -- I am a coffee guy -- nevertheless, the "Rapha" premium is seemingly noticeable to say the least -- oh well, to each their own -- I fully expect a "DT Swiss / Assos" tamper for $500 just in time for X-mas!

PIITWhat?
    All good points -- especially the one by Love Commander about paying a premium for things that one enjoys and will get incredible use out of -- can't disagree with that one bit -- I just had no idea a "proper" tamper was remotely in this price range at all -- I am a coffee guy -- nevertheless, the "Rapha" premium is seemingly noticeable to say the least -- oh well, to each their own -- I fully expect a "DT Swiss / Assos" tamper for $500 just in time for X-mas!
    I know, not coffee-related, but would you settle for a $275 corkscrew?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    I know, not coffee-related, but would you settle for a $275 corkscrew?
    Holy crap -- I had no idea this kind of stuff was out there -- if they put "Super Record" on it somewhere, I might consider the Campy Corkscrew for a mere $275...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like it... And to be honest, with free shipping to Australia it's not a bad price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Holy crap -- I had no idea this kind of stuff was out there -- if they put "Super Record" on it somewhere, I might consider the Campy Corkscrew for a mere $275...
    Holy S%&#t. WHo the hell is buying these things

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtor View Post
    Holy S%&#t. WHo the hell is buying these things
    Well, surely the same guys that buy 10 000$ bikes because they can, they like them and it's their passion !!! you know, someone can have another passion other than bikes (I know, it's weird but.. )

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    Some people are willing to pay a premium for things they enjoy. Plus, it matches your $120 CK salt and pepper shakers!

That said, I'm not sure why it's so much more expensive than the non-Rapha version. Ooooo! It's got a pink bit and an R! What a collabo!
    $85 for a good tamper is expensive, but then so are Chris King hubs. Both are probably worth the money to people who like cool stuff.

Im going to order the tamper now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Get a Tor, Best tampers I have come across and you can them specific to your basket.

Tamper TORR - Cafe Kultur

I love my King hubs, but coffee should be purchased locally, and tampers from the pros.

Would you buy your hubs from a espresso machine grinder manufacture?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Tamper/Technique makes the shots
    But a pink CK would still be cool on the counter.
    Style beside my Park Tool Pizza cutter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0 Chris King / Rapha Espresso Tamper-1.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    430 grams is a deal breaker for me. Hope they'll come out with a carbon version.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    Ouch, that's steep. I'll keep using my nice Rattleware stainless tamper. It really does the job quite well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm afraid to ask what the Campy version would cost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    I'm afraid to ask what the Campy version would cost.
    Agreed -- but whatever that might be, it would be peanuts compared to the DT Swiss / Assos version...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dersnap View Post
    Get a Tor, Best tampers I have come across and you can them specific to your basket.

Tamper TORR - Cafe Kultur

I love my King hubs, but coffee should be purchased locally, and tampers from the pros.
    I have a Torr African Blackwood classic tamper. Beautiful tool for expresso just like a beautiful bike is for riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

$120 Chris King / Rapha Espresso Tamper

Interesting on the black wood. I never could quite get the right feel for wood in my tamp. Shame as I live the looks of them.

Just got my ECM Mechanika out today after 6 months because of a move. Tomorrow morning will be testing out some olive roasted espresso.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
    I like it... And to be honest, with free shipping to Australia it's not a bad price.
    Heck, you could think of it as free and just pay shipping..