RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011

$2000 budget for a road bike for short person

my brother is only 5'3" and he is planning to get a road bike eventually. but does not want to go down to 650c.

i realize it will be hard to find a 700c bike to fit to him. but at his budget i would hope that there is a bike somewhere out there that has a horizontal top tube measurement under 50cm. im just having trouble locating a make and model that would fit him. he wants to get more serious about biking, but without something with the proper fit, i dont know where thats gonna go.

any suggestions?

i will take his measurements tonight and get his recommended geometry from the bike fit calculator online. then update this post with the ranges.

Bacon!
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Don't rule out women's bikes. I don't know the model but I see plenty of people 5 3 or shorter on bikes with 700 wheels so Im sure you'll find something. Good luck.
    one of the cat 1 chicks that rides with us now and then is definitely 5 3 is not shorter and she rides a Scott so maybe check that brand. Her bike look like any other guy bike to me but I'm not sure if its women specific or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Finding a bike for someone 5'3 should be easy in a 700c wheel size. Everyone makes one. Don't know what you are worried about. The budget on the other hand? No one should have to own a bike less than $2k.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Allez Comp 105 Compact

comes in a 49 but it would have to ordered most likley, all the major manufactures should have a bike that will fit him no problem
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his
    level and beat you with experience.
    http://surlybikes.com/blog/2514/

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    47 to 50 cm is not unheard of. He should have no problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I decided to go with a Cannondale CAAD 10-5 for my first bike. Since it was my first bike I did not want to spend too much money and didn't know if I would really get into it. I'm only 5'3 too and the LBS fitted me to a 48cm. There are other brands that make a 48 cm or smaller.

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    Dont limit yourself to a brand. Go to several bike shops and try them. There are plenty of nice bikes out there that I'm sure will fit.
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2014 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2013 Fuji Finest 1.1C (Wife's)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    i understand that there are 46 and 48cm 700c road bikes. but all the ones i have seen have a 51cm+ top tube. and because of the height of his trunk, it seems that he is going to have a hard time with how stretched out he will be when riding the hoods. also, because of the length of many head tubes, he wont be able to get a more aggressive position out of the bike with the bar most likely positioned level with his saddle, if not higher.

so basically, to be more specific, i would like to find a frame with a shorter head tube and shorter top bar to fit him into a more aggressive position.

the most recent bike we looked at online was a full carbon GT / ultegra in XS. but upon looking at the geometry at the GT website for that bike, their "extra small" turned out to have almost identical geometry to my 51cm Felt. im 5'6" and my Felt is on the big side for me, so its definitely too big for him.

Dont limit yourself to a brand. Go to several bike shops and try them. There are plenty of nice bikes out there that I'm sure will fit.
    the problem with that is most of the LBS we have here only carry medium and bigger in stock.

Don't rule out women's bikes. I don't know the model but I see plenty of people 5 3 or shorter on bikes with 700 wheels so Im sure you'll find something. Good luck.
    that was one of the options i was thinking about as well. we just havent come accross any at our LBS's that werent pink hahaha. but i do know there are some really nice looking womens bikes out there. just gotta look harder for something within his aesthetic comfort zone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    My wife is 5'01" and is on a 47cm (XXS) Scott CR1 Elite. I am 5'6" and on a 49cm (XS) Scott CR1 Pro. We test rode several bikes that fit the bill but got the best package deal for us on the Scotts.

He should have no problems given his height finding a suitable mount.