RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018

'03 Trek 2300 w/ ultegra and everything else

I'm a casual rider that rides about 30-40 miles during the weekend. I ride on regular roads, and I tend to ride pretty fast.

With that said and being a guy, I want the best of the best without even needing it. I've seen a '15 supersix evo,an older ridley scott, pinarello, etc (all carbon, all expensive at one time an still relatively expensive).

Today I see an '03 Trek 2300 w/ full ultegra on craigslist for $300. I know it's not carbon and it's not the best of the best of the best, but what do you guys think?

Neophyte
    I think it's too high, and if you're just getting into riding it's a bit too old to maintain if everything on the bike is original. Getting compatible parts if needed may be hard, if you ever want to switch from whatever speed it is to 11-speed you'd need new wheels, etc.

Spend a little more up front right now and it may save you headaches down the line.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rbhatup View Post
    I'm a casual rider that rides about 30-40 miles during the weekend. I ride on regular roads, and I tend to ride pretty fast.

With that said and being a guy, I want the best of the best without even needing it. I've seen a '15 supersix evo,an older ridley scott, pinarello, etc (all carbon, all expensive at one time an still relatively expensive).

Today I see an '03 Trek 2300 w/ full ultegra on craigslist for $300. I know it's not carbon and it's not the best of the best of the best, but what do you guys think?
    Forgive me for saying this but, the problem I see is you don't seem to understand & appreciate what is involved in evaluating different bikes and placing a value on bikes. The number of speeds make a difference, component group, carbon vs aluminum, the
    wheel set, the condition, DOES IT EVEN FIT YOU.

As far as the Trek 2300, it's worth $300 if it is great shape and it's not worth anything if it doesn't fit you properly or if it has worn components that could cost you $300-$400 to replace then you would have been better off just buying the evo in the first place.
    Last edited by ngl; 06-07-2018 at 11:57 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    This winter I bought a 2012 Trek 2.1 with 105 to ride on my trainer. I decided I would make it a climbing bike so I put an ultegra crank and RD on it along with a 10-34 cassette. The bike works great and rides really nice.
    For all the more riding you do and for the price I think it's worth a shot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I think its a good bike to mess around. I had an older Trek 1200 from a few years earlier. Not too comfortable on long rides but for 30-40 mile rides seems like it could be a decent option. Depends how aggressive you are on the bike. If you are OK with older not top end components I'd say go for it. It's not a ton of money.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    The '03 Trek 2300 has one of the best aluminum frames ever made, so if it fits you and has not been damaged or has totally worn out parts it is a good deal. It will only be 9 speed, but Ultegra 9 speed worked quite well. The problem would come in if you need new shifters or derailleurs - either you will have to accept Sora (the new Sora isn't half bad, but it ain't Ultegra) or you will have to upgrade your entire drivetrain, wheelset and control set to 11 speed.

BTW: the '03 2300 is a much more comfortable riding frame than our friend's old 1200. There was a night and day difference in the ride.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    I think it's too high, and if you're just getting into riding it's a bit too old to maintain if everything on the bike is original. Getting compatible parts if needed may be hard, if you ever want to switch from whatever speed it is to 11-speed you'd need new wheels, etc.

Spend a little more up front right now and it may save you headaches down the line.
    I concur. You can get some nice new bikes for 400 to 700, especially with a Diamondback/Raleigh corporate account. I would always go new unless there was a compelling reason to go really old used.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What are you willing to spend? Nothing wrong with old well cared for bikes with the main points being fit and what entails for any repairs when necessary. These older bikes can be great deals especially in the 4-8 year range. If you DIY then parts are still readily available NOS.