RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Question 2000 vs 5000 dollars for bike

If you rode a Cannondale R1000 vs a Cannondle R5000 how much difference in time would there be in a 100 mile ride thru hills. I know it's a vague question but does the better bike make it that much faster?

a Freds Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by rrnp
    If you rode a Cannondale R1000 vs a Cannondle R5000 how much difference in time would there be in a 100 mile ride thru hills. I know it's a vague question but does the better bike make it that much faster?
    Me? None. and...No.

RoadBikeReview Member

No way dude

I had a R5000 ans had to get rid of it after a century ride. It was a grat bike, but for me it was not an all day bike. I felt every bump, rock, etc.
    I sold my C'dale and spent $5k on a sweet custom Ti/CF bike. I will never go back.

If you are set on getting a Cannondale and are willing to spend that kind of scratch, may as well check out the 6-13 and the Synapse. Your body will thank you for it after 100 miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    I don't understand the question.

The price difference between the R1000 and R5000 is about $500 and the component difference essentially is Ultegra vs. Dura-Ace - wheels and frame are the same. The R5000 would thus be a little lighter, but not so much as to make it noticeably faster.

But your title suggests a difference between spending $2000 and $5000 on a bicycle, which would offer huge differences, particularly in frames and wheels.

As to the ride quality, I have to agree with the post above, the Six-13 is sweet and comfy on long rides.

Cannot bench own weight
    If you want comfy, get a bike with 700x32 wheels

CarbonFrame
    Feb 2005

None!

The two are basically the same. The difference in time would not be more tham 1 minute on a 100 mile ride if there even was a difference. Its about the rider not the bike at that point. If you had a "good" day on the heavy bike you could be faster than an average day on the lighter bike. Its like saying " If I leave my tool pouch off how much faster will I be?"
    Life is short...Enjoy the Ride!!

rebounder

sheesh

IMO this belongs in the beginners forum. its a bike, not a race car. it goes as fast as you pedal it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rrnp
    Bottomline, aside from TT bikes, you can't buy speed. The extra money gets you a lighter bike (2-3 lbs maybe) and perhaps some tricker carbon parts. The difference is small.

Unlabeled

Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Einstruzende
    If you want comfy, get a bike with 700x32 wheels
    700X28 if you're 150-180 lbs. 700 X 32 for big guys. Inflate tires to 90 psig.

You can get a $600 bike that will perform more than 99.5% as well as that $5000 bike. If a 2 or 3 seconds per mile doesn't matter to you, then the expensive bike is just a status symbol.
    Lugged Steel Treks