Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skiierx View Post
    I made the decision in 2008 to sell my RC51 and used part of the proceeds for a new Specialized Roubaix (was mostly a mountain biker). Very happy in my decision, still borrow a MC each year for a day to scratch that itch. It was not a monetary thing just thought I was getting too fast (spent lots of time at trackdays) and had the feeling a crash was coming soon when I was street riding (since most of my friends have already had theirs).

I will say it was a lot of fun taking MC vacations to Deals Gap, riding the winding roads of northern Vermont, NH and western MA but I do get the same enjoyment on the bicycle too...just in shorter versions. I have said I will get another MC, most likely a sport tourer or dual sport (leaning towards the dual sport) but have not set a time table.
    As said earlier, I was never a cyclist as my primary sport is running 5K',s 10K's, and Full Marathons which in my opinion, running marathons is the "Gold Standard" among all endurance sports. What captured my interest was the SRAM S80's, may not be able to peddle faster but one quick thing I took note is once I get up to speed, it is much easier to hold it and I can ride farther with less effort. but most of all I love the way the wheels enhance the looks of my bike. I plan on cutting my running miles this summer and spend equal times on the saddle

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonAruban View Post
    I ride a 2006 CBR 1000RR - Love anything on two wheels, Bicycles, Motorcycles, Dirtbikes, Scooters, etc. Plus I follow all races, Moto GP, AMA, WSBK and BSB.
    The 2006 CBR didn't have nearly as many problems as the 08 CBR1000RR. I think Honda in an effort to make the bike faster, used lighter rings to create less friction but at the expense of a proper cylinder seal, thus high oil consumption. I also learned the 07 CBR had a recall on the fuel tank, causing fuel to leak but my 08 was also leaking and Honda refused to warranty telling me the shop could not find anything wrong with it in spite of the fact I removed the tank and proved it to them

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Well if the last 3 years is any proof, i've picked cycling over motorcycling--though not necessarily by choice. Now with a wife and 2 kids under 2, I don't have much of an opportunity to head up to the track and kill some knee pucks. It sucks, I miss it dearly, but I figure I'll be back in the saddle one day.

I've got an 06 Daytona 675 (track) in the garage. No more street bikes, though I have a RD400 project waiting to be completed.

I enjoy cycling, especially descending, because it reminds me of the days when I was on ACH every other day. Something about being on 2 wheels is special to me. When I ride GMR or Mount Diablo, it's the best way to replicate the feeling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not sure which to choose...

Which one do you spend more time doing?
    Which one costs you less money?
    Which one will keep you healthy?
    Which one do you look forward to doing when you have some upcoming spare time?
    Which one will hurt you less if you crash?

Perhaps my questions are a little biased, but if you compare the two on their merits, it might be clear.

You can always buy another motorcycle a few years down the road if the circumstances change. I imagine you never forget how to ride a motorcycle - it's probably just like riding a...

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    I had the red/silver 2008 honda 1000rr. I loved it. Ended up selling but not because I ride bikes, I needed to stir up the cash flow a little bit. I would keep both and use both!!
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2014 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2013 Fuji Finest 1.1C (Wife's)

A whole beans kind of guy
    Why choose one or the other? Half the reason I ride bicycle is to keep fit enough to really enjoy my Ducati Monster....

That said, I'm thinking of trading the Duc, going back to Triumph and getting a nicer bicycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    try one of these someday...highly recommend it
    I'll take one...!

Man I miss my dirt bike days...many years of moto cross. I imagine my 40 year old body might not appreciate the abuse! Lol...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    BMW R1200R - ever since I got addicted to cycling my annual motorcycle mileage has definitely taken a hit. Traveling on two wheels is the way to go though.

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwk100 View Post
    BMW R1200R - ever since I got addicted to cycling my annual motorcycle mileage has definitely taken a hit. Traveling on two wheels is the way to go though.
    I agree but where I live, it hasn't rained yet and until we get our first rain, I do not want to subject my wheels to salt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008 CBR1000RR VS Cannondale Synapse 5 w/Sram S80-my-ride.jpg  

ktc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Riding a motorcycle on the street is too dangerous due to all the idiots on cell phone, texting etc. I'd turn the CBR into a dedicated track bike where you can have lots of fun going fast in a safe environment. Nice Cannondale BTW! Check out sportbiketracktime.com, great group there!!

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ktc View Post
    Riding a motorcycle on the street is too dangerous due to all the idiots on cell phone, texting etc. I'd turn the CBR into a dedicated track bike where you can have lots of fun going fast in a safe environment. Nice Cannondale BTW! Check out sportbiketracktime.com, great group there!!
    KTC thanks for the complement!! I know some serious enthusiasts will wonder what on earth am I wasting so much money on an aluminum frame, and a bike that has a relaxed geometry when those wheels are designed more for time trial bikes. Well I just love the way my bike rides, I am not too into the super low get as low as you can as it makes me uncomfortable, but do feel the wheels help me go faster and hold speed. I couldn't agree more that track days are more fun then street riding. Too many cars, intersections, and it is nice for a sunday ride only when there is hardly anybody on the road

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011

new wheels

since my wife passed away a several years back and since i've been raising the kids on my own, i've decided to rest my vfr and lately decided to get a road bike to fill the needs of riding on 2 wheels...and keep the health up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008 CBR1000RR VS Cannondale Synapse 5 w/Sram S80-bikewithmoto.jpg  

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mutjjemg View Post
    since my wife passed away a several years back and since i've been raising the kids on my own, i've decided to rest my vfr and lately decided to get a road bike to fill the needs of riding on 2 wheels...and keep the health up.
    Definitely a good choice for sure!!! I fell in love with cycling, but will always be a runner first but do enjoy both sports.

Just batting at the bunny
    I find that my roadracing background has for sure helped me in my learning how to become a bicycle racer. In my first crit race, it felt just like my first roadrace, once the "green flag" had dropped it was on! I found I was able to see and pick my lines better than a lot of the dudes, the only problem was that I was the "engine" and I desperately needed a tuning! lol...

I love my bicycle, I just always want to go faster! Downhill = for me! It's those damn uphill parts.....

Cycling is a great way to train and also a whole lotta fun. Lots of roadracers from amateurs to the pros are riding bikes now a days. The track makes for a great "loop" once it goes cold in the afternoon. Especially where you have some good elevation changes like at Infineon or Thunderhill (NorCal tracks).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008 CBR1000RR VS Cannondale Synapse 5 w/Sram S80-buttonwillow.jpg  

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodogs02 View Post
    I find that my roadracing background has for sure helped me in my learning how to become a bicycle racer. In my first crit race, it felt just like my first roadrace, once the "green flag" had dropped it was on! I found I was able to see and pick my lines better than a lot of the dudes, the only problem was that I was the "engine" and I desperately needed a tuning! lol...

I love my bicycle, I just always want to go faster! Downhill = for me! It's those damn uphill parts.....

Cycling is a great way to train and also a whole lotta fun. Lots of roadracers from amateurs to the pros are riding bikes now a days. The track makes for a great "loop" once it goes cold in the afternoon. Especially where you have some good elevation changes like at Infineon or Thunderhill (NorCal tracks).
    Casey Stoner is a huge cycling enthusiast as I hear. I also discovered that training with regular wheels is great, but when you add 80mm deep dish, for me at least it raises the level of excitement as far as riding bicycles. I love the way it holds the speed. Yeah accelerating is harder but I am a guy that likes to go far and fast once I get up to speed

Ben Spies has his own race team that he has put together and sponsored (not to mention rides with).

Josh Hayes, Melissa Peris (Josh's wife, also an AMA pro roadracer), Nicky Hayden and Roger Lee Hayden, Tommy Hayden, Chris Vermulean, Hector Barbara, the Bostrom Brothers - Eric and Ben, Cal Crutchlow, Toni Elias, James Toseland, etc. etc .......I know there are many other pro racers from AMA to WSBK to MotoGP that ride too, these are the first riders that come to mind, along with numerous AFM and WERA club riders.....

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Ben Spies has his own race team that he has put together and sponsored (not to mention rides with).

Josh Hayes, Melissa Peris (Josh's wife, also an AMA pro roadracer), Nicky Hayden and Roger Lee Hayden, Tommy Hayden, Chris Vermulean, Hector Barbara, the Bostrom Brothers - Eric and Ben, Cal Crutchlow, Toni Elias, James Toseland, etc. etc .......I know there are many other pro racers from AMA to WSBK to MotoGP that ride too, these are the first riders that come to mind, along with numerous AFM and WERA club riders.....

Wow! I didn't think motorcycle riders like us would enjoy cycling when riding 150 mph seems so much more fun! While I like doing both, riding and cycling it's hard to choose one over the other. The reason I like cycling is my SRAM S80's really transforms my cycle into a different animal. The only difference is I get bored after 40 minutes on my CBR1000RR but can ride all day long on my bicycle and never get sick of it .

PRB
    Bibo Ergo Sum
    Having to make a choice between the two is something I wouldn't want to do....I enjoy both quite a bit. The bad thing about them is that good cycling weather is also good motorcycle weather so in the end one always loses out.

Ben is a Cat 2.
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

RoadBikeReview Member

What kind of bike is that?

ktc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I too have a roadracing background, both cars and bikes, and it definitely helps in cycling. I often get comments on how fast I get around corners, and gaps in traffic seem to appear more often than they do for others I ride with that don't have racing experience.

Master debator.
    I will admit that my motorcycle has spent too much time sitting in the garage because I'd rather be out cycling. Fast cornering on a track or the backroads is a harder workout on the legs than some who don't ride might imagine. At least if I go out it keeps the speeds down because I'm usually sore from biking!
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    the Cannondale is sweet!!

Quote Originally Posted by tzdesioux View Post
    What kind of bike is that?

That was a 99 SV650 superbike...

It was without a doubt, the funnest bike I've ever ridden/raced. I grinned like an idiot every time I rode her (ok, maybe not everytime, but damn near! ).

There was nothing quite as satisfying as outdriving somebody down a straight or into the next corner (where HP is mostly equal) because you carried a better line/more corner speed than they did.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    I couldn't imagine having to choose between motorcycling and bicycling. I love both! My daily commuter is a Triumph Daytona 675. I ride it year-round, even in the rain. I've got my eye on a new BMW S100RR, but it's not in the cards right now. My road bikes - I ride those as much as possible, too. When it comes time to drive the car, I let my wife do that

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    I couldn't imagine having to choose between motorcycling and bicycling. I love both! My daily commuter is a Triumph Daytona 675. I ride it year-round, even in the rain. I've got my eye on a new BMW S100RR, but it's not in the cards right now. My road bikes - I ride those as much as possible, too. When it comes time to drive the car, I let my wife do that
    Tim, the S1000 is a fabulous bike as I had a chance to test ride it. However, on the forums read a lot of stories of owners who complain about high oil consumption, motors that seized and trans problems. I know the demo model I rode, it had issues and only had 10 miles! My CBR1000RR burned a lot of oil and the fuel vent tube at the weld was leaking but honda would not warranty it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast