Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

2008 CBR1000RR VS Cannondale Synapse 5 w/Sram S80

I have a 2008 Honda CBR1000RR which is an awesome motorcycle but when I compare that to my 2011 Cannondale Synapse 5 with SRAM S80, it's hard to compare the two but the CBR1000 I paid around $9000 for it and my bike round 3,000 dollars but if it was a choice between the two, would you choose one sport over the other? The one thing I hated about my motorcycle was it was always burning oil and lots of it, not to mention insurance was not cheap and riding is dangerous in the street. My bicycle I absolutely enjoy riding it and the SRAM S80's really hold the speed well. The only thing I hate is living in a climate where road salt prevents me from riding my bicycle out of fear it will ruin my wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008 CBR1000RR VS Cannondale Synapse 5 w/Sram S80-cbr.jpg   2008 CBR1000RR VS Cannondale Synapse 5 w/Sram S80-my-ride.jpg  
    Last edited by jwk; 02-18-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: adding another pic

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

My 2011 Cannondale Synapse 5 w/ SRAM S80 Wheels

This is my bicycle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Had that exact bike..( minus exhaust) year..color everything. Lotta fun, but didn't get enough use so I sold it last year.
    Next bike will be another M109R.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Why choose? Ride em both!! That said, I wouldn't trust myself on a CBR (or any other sport bike). I need something fat and slow...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatroadz View Post
    Had that exact bike..( minus exhaust) year..color everything. Lotta fun, but didn't get enough use so I sold it last year.
    Don't get a Zuk. The new Vulcans are awesome and Yamaha has some great things going for their Raider and Stryker models.

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Actually I regretted putting the Two Brothers Exhaust on. It took all my low end power away and made it feel slower. The stock pipe was heavy but the flapper valve gave me mega low and mid range power. But the reason I got rid of it was burning too much oil and the leaking fuel tank would have cost 600 dollars to fix. Honda really sucks when it comes to warranty. Anyway, I got rid of that and bought my Cannondale Synapse 5. At first I wasn't that into biking because I am primarily a runner but after adding my SRAM S80's, wow what a totally different feel and they look so cool. I now plan on riding a lot more this season but won't ride in winter as I hear salt ruins drivetrain

HELL ON WHEELS
    Quote Originally Posted by ClancyO View Post
    Why choose? Ride em both!! That said, I wouldn't trust myself on a CBR (or any other sport bike). I need something fat and slow...
    when it comes to motorcycles fat and slow is still pretty fast.
    Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by ClancyO View Post
    Here you go. The best of both worlds.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    If it was something more comparable like: EPS-equipped Dogma vs 1199 Panigale, I'm totally getting the latter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Apples and oranges my boy, but as far as quality in genre goes; the cannondale wins hands down, and I enjoyed the question, even though it was an obvious ploy at self effacement by showing everyone your pretty toys in the hope that we are all amazed at how awesome you are. Not.. I still love ya though buddy... The cannondale makes up for it.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    If it was something more comparable like: EPS-equipped Dogma vs 1199 Panigale, I'm totally getting the latter.
    Saw the 1199 Panigale at the motorcycle show. That thing is sexy!

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Wasn't trying to impress anybody. Do know there are bicycles that are more expensive than my CBR was but beginning to like cycling better. motorcycles are fun but only if you are on a race track

RoadBikeReview Member
    one can never make up for the other but if I could only have one toy, it would have to be the CBR but I'm biased as I'm an ex motorcycle road racer.

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tzdesioux View Post
    one can never make up for the other but if I could only have one toy, it would have to be the CBR but I'm biased as I'm an ex motorcycle road racer.
    I know it's hard to compare biking to cycling, but funny thing is Casey Stoner is a huge cycling fan even though he is MotoGP. But even more amazing is race bicycles I hear are as much as 16,000 dollars and more expensive then the CBR. It amazes me that a device, so simple, few moving parts can exceed the cost of a motorcycle. But in my case, I think I would choose my bicycle over the motorcycle if it was a lifelong commitment. For me health is more important than how fast I can go

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Pro: The whole world is downhill on a motorcycle!

Con: The whole world is downhill on a motorcycle! No climbing.
    INSURANCE!!!

If you got the cash keep both. The motorcycle will help with burn out. No extra cash, get rid of the motorcycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbikerider106 View Post
    Don't get a Zuk. The new Vulcans are awesome and Yamaha has some great things going for their Raider and Stryker models.
    I've had all sorts of cycles over the years including the 109R..for the $$ and being a cumphy cruiser, nothing came close to the power of that Suzuki ..( I believe it was 135 hp to the rear wheel.)
    I actually disabled my flapper on my Cbr for sound reasons but never really felt a huge loss of torque ..then again I never really pushed that thing all too hard. Lol
    Funny I must have been lucky, I heard of Honda troubles but never had a lick of problem w the Cbr.

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I've had all sorts of cycles over the years including the 109R..for the $$ and being a cumphy cruiser, nothing came close to the power of that Suzuki ..( I believe it was 135 hp to the rear wheel.)
    I actually disabled my flapper on my Cbr for sound reasons but never really felt a huge loss of torque ..then again I never really pushed that thing all too hard. Lol
    Funny I must have been lucky, I heard of Honda troubles but never had a lick of problem w the Cbr.
    There are a lot of owners of CBR's who had issues with high oil consumption. I will never buy hondas again

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwk View Post
    ... it's hard to compare the two...
    Understatement. It's an irrelevant and pointless comparison.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    Here you go. The best of both worlds.
    That's not quite what I had in mind...

PMC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I wouldn't chose one over the other.

I'm all about 2 wheels and have a basement full of bicycles and a garage full of motorcycles and haven't been without either since the late 80s when I started riding motos.

Looking back the list includes a 85 FZ750, 87 GSXR1100, 89 FZR1000, 95 YZF600r, 03 FZ1, 07 CBR1000rr, 09 1198 and currently have a 99 KTM 640 Adventure, 07 Vstrom 1000 and a 11 Ultra Limited.
    I've probably had ten times as many bicycles as motos over that time and a number of years I put way more miles on my pedal bike than motor but they're still both activites I really enjoy.

So don't choose, it's dumb.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Riding motorcycles taught me to be a better bicycle rider. Especially counter steering. I always wonder how many cyclist don't realize they do it each time they turn.

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonAruban View Post
    Riding motorcycles taught me to be a better bicycle rider. Especially counter steering. I always wonder how many cyclist don't realize they do it each time they turn.
    excellent point and I counter steer when I ride as well. I do enjoy both riding bicycles and motorcycles but bicycling is safer

back to pedaling
    Feb 2008
    I made the decision in 2008 to sell my RC51 and used part of the proceeds for a new Specialized Roubaix (was mostly a mountain biker). Very happy in my decision, still borrow a MC each year for a day to scratch that itch. It was not a monetary thing just thought I was getting too fast (spent lots of time at trackdays) and had the feeling a crash was coming soon when I was street riding (since most of my friends have already had theirs).

I will say it was a lot of fun taking MC vacations to Deals Gap, riding the winding roads of northern Vermont, NH and western MA but I do get the same enjoyment on the bicycle too...just in shorter versions. I have said I will get another MC, most likely a sport tourer or dual sport (leaning towards the dual sport) but have not set a time table.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I ride a 2006 CBR 1000RR - Love anything on two wheels, Bicycles, Motorcycles, Dirtbikes, Scooters, etc. Plus I follow all races, Moto GP, AMA, WSBK and BSB.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    try one of these someday...highly recommend it
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast