RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010

2010 Specialized Allez vs. 2009 Fuji Newest 2.0

Hey All,
    I'm new to these parts and this is my first post. My names Jeff and I'm a 6 foot tall, 288 pound (130kg) cycling newbie. I'm 31 years old, married and I'm the father of two, soon to be three children. Money is very tight and buying a bike may not be the best idea for us but I have to do something for my health that will help me lose weight and will keep my attention. I've been trying bikes at three local bike stores and I the first thing I can tell you is that I did not like the Trek bikes in my price range so they are out. They just weren't comfortable. Tonight I tried a 2010 Specialized Allez which featured Shimano 2300 components for $679.00 and a 2009 Fuji Newest 2.0 outfitted with Sora/Tiagra for $739.00. Both of them were 58cm bikes and both of them are within the amount of money I'm able to spend from my tax return without risking my wife having a stroke.

Things I liked about the Fuji:

- Very padded, comfortable saddle.
    - Slightly more relaxed riding position.
    - Felt a little more stable when pedaling while standing vs. the Specialized.

Things I disliked about the Fuji:

- Shifting felt sloppy.
    - Components felt cheap despite being sora/tiagra.

Things I liked about the Specialized:

- Faster acceleration.
    - Lighter.
    - Shifting was light and crisp despite having Shimano 2300 vs. the Sora/Tiagra of the Fuji.
    - Handling was responsive and exciting.

Things I disliked about the Specialized:

- The saddle, while still relatively comfortable, was noticeably less so than the Fuji.

With regards to the sloppier feel of the shifting on the Fuji, I should point out that the store clerk said that the shifting was off after examining the bike. Unfortunately, I had to leave before I could re-test it. I am returning on Saturday to re-test both of these bikes.

My reason for making this post is simply to ask anyone who reads this with any insight into these bikes, other bikes they'd recommend, anecdotes about things people have told them about these or other bikes or anything else they think would be valuable to me in my search for health and happiness to please take a moment and offer me a word.

Thanks in advance for your time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey Jeff....
    If you get a chance,....check out the Specialized Sectuer series as well. It's new this year, has a more relaxed geometry. The frame is Aluminum, but is the same geometry as the higher end carbon Specialized Roubiax. Here's the link...

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9257

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do you live close enough to bike to work? That's the ticket to getting into shape.

Back on topic...get the Specialized...then spend the savings on a new seat. I'm on the heavy side and aluminum works very well

Tangent...I have a Specialized Allez Elite 2006 double...it's a beautiful thing. You can buy a used one, like mine, for that much money, or less, and have a nice machine.

Stu

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    The more thought I give it, the more I lean towards the Specialized. I'm just about 6', is 58cm the right height? I was looking at stats of one of the cervelo test team racers, he is 6' and rides 56cm. Any thoughts on this?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    im 5 11 and ride a 56cm cannondale caad9 when i was testing bikes out it was between the 54 and 56 for me but the 54 was a lil crapmed

Cycling induced anoesis
    Fit should always be a priority, so the one that fits and feels the best, wins. That said, at this price point I think both bikes will perform well, once set up and adjusted properly, so I wouldn't discount one or the other if a simple adjustment would rectify a problem.

You don't say what specific model the Allez is, but given the fact that it's equipped with Shimano's 2300 group and is priced in the 600 range, I suspect it's the Allez steel. If so, I think that is a tipping point in favor of it, because IMO you'll come to appreciate the (sometimes not so subtle) differences in ride quality between steel and aluminum.

If possible, get both bikes set up/ adjusted and go for another test ride (out on the road), paying particular attention to fit/ feel and ride.

HTH
    Last edited by PJ352; 02-08-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecializedMedic
    The more thought I give it, the more I lean towards the Specialized. I'm just about 6', is 58cm the right height? I was looking at stats of one of the cervelo test team racers, he is 6' and rides 56cm. Any thoughts on this?
    My thought is simply knowing your height makes it impossible to correctly size you over the internet. Proportions matter (more), so leave the sizing/ fittng to the LBS's. They have the advantage of working with you in person...and seeing you on the bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm 6'1" and ride a 58cm Allez...it's a perfect fit for me.

Listen to me very carefully...even if you are smart enough not to. When you test ride those two bikes again...find a hill to climb and use a gear that requires you to stand up on the pedals to climb up the hill. Ride both bikes up the same hill. Then ask yourself which bike did you feel more comfortable climbing the hill with. That is a very important characteristic of a good bike...how well it climbs.

Stu

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum. Just bought a 2010 Allez Elite, 58cm. I too am 6' tall, and have 32" inseam. The 56cm Allez was too cramped for me, so opted for the 58.
    I come from a MTB background, so these bikes seem strange to me anyway!!

Brad