Thread: 2011 Madone 5.2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

2011 Madone 5.2

Hello,

I am an occasional rider looking to get more involved in my local cycling community and also have an opportunity to begin training for a metric century in July.

My bike for years has been a Cannondale that was made in 1989. I'm looking to upgrade and one of my options is a 2011 Madone 5.2 that is for sale locally for $750.

I was wondering the opinions of those of you with way more experience than me as to whether this is a good option/good deal and what things I should look for when I check it out. One thing to consider is my shop has recommended me for a 58 but this Madone is a 60. I'm 6 foot and half an inch and have a 34 inch inseam so I'm basically right between sizes. Not sure how much of a trade off that is vs the price.

Thanks in advance.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Is that a Cannondale 3.0 frame? I had one of those in the early 90's and it was the most punishing ride I've ever owned. I was actually happy when I broke it.

There's an old rule of thumb that you take your inseam in centimeters, multiply by 2/3 and that's the c-c seat tube size you need. By that rule, you're a 57.6 ~ 58 cm. But that's just a rule of thumb. Have you tried riding it? Not a bad price, and it'll be a huge improvement over what you have now, provided it fits. What size is the Cannondale?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Believe it might be. It's similar to what I would imagine it would be like to ride a sawhorse. It's a 58, but I had to get a new stem to raise the handlebars because when I got it from my dad the stem was pitched downward, I believe for racing. I needed to raise them a good four inches for the bike to be comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post
    Hello,

I am an occasional rider looking to get more involved in my local cycling community and also have an opportunity to begin training for a metric century in July.

My bike for years has been a Cannondale that was made in 1989. I'm looking to upgrade and one of my options is a 2011 Madone 5.2 that is for sale locally for $750.

I was wondering the opinions of those of you with way more experience than me as to whether this is a good option/good deal and what things I should look for when I check it out. One thing to consider is my shop has recommended me for a 58 but this Madone is a 60. I'm 6 foot and half an inch and have a 34 inch inseam so I'm basically right between sizes. Not sure how much of a trade off that is vs the price.

Thanks in advance.
    I have a 2012 Madone 5.2 and it is an excellent bike. You need to try it on for size but you should be fine on a 60 cm. But there is no way to know for sure until you try it out.

But keep in mind the seat has a bit of adjustment fore and aft, you can raise or lower the stem and raise or lower the seat to get the right leg extension. I put a Brooks B17 saddle on mine and it is very comfortable.

The Ultegra components are very reliable and the bottoms are very strong. I've had zero issues with my Madone.

The bike accelerates well, climbs well, corners very well and its a good looking bike.

I'd go over the frame carefully looking for any cracks or odd bumps, etc.

$750 is a very good price as long as the bike hasn't been abused.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Don't Treks run a little small (i.e., 60 cm bike is actually a bit smaller)?

The Slow One.
    For reference, I'm 1" shorter than you and have a 32" cycling inseam. I ride 56cm Madones with 100mm stems.

I think that Madone, while perhaps a good deal, might be too large for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That sizing shortcut or ballpark that @pmf mention does get you pretty close. But, remember - it's your measured inseam... not the second number on the tag in your jeans ;-)

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    That sizing shortcut or ballpark that @pmf mention does get you pretty close. But, remember - it's your measured inseam... not the second number on the tag in your jeans ;-)
    Good point. Wearing bike shorts, stand with your back to the wall and hold a ruler tightly against your crotch and mark that spot on the wall, then measure it. If you wear 32" inseam jeans, this will be more than 32".

RoadBikeReview Member
    A size 60 is too large for you. The great deal isn't such a great deal if the bike doesn't fit.

Your bike shop already told you your size is a 58. Personally, I would pass on this one. There will be other deals that come along.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get on the bike and ride it. My 5.2 is a 56 but I have a 31" inseam. At 34" inseam you need to try it on.

Its hard to find a Malone 5.2 in nice shape for that price, its worth a look.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    Get on the bike and ride it. My 5.2 is a 56 but I have a 31" inseam. At 34" inseam you need to try it on.

Its hard to find a Malone 5.2 in nice shape for that price, its worth a look.
    This is the best advice. I'm 5'9" and ride a 56 cm bike. I have long legs relative to my torso.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks everyone. I will be making a trip out to see it sometime this week.

That inseam is indeed my "jeans" inseam. Never done it the other way but I will do so tonight just to see what it actually is.