RoadBikeReview Member

2011 Smart Ride 8 from Miami to Key West

I am participating in the Smart Ride (Rider 246) this November from Miami to Key West it is a 2 day 165 mile charity ride for HIV/AIDS organizations in Florida. The first day is 100 miles and the second is the remaining 65 miles. I actually am still in bike shopping mode but hopefully to purchase either next weekend or the one after. I think I have decided on the Specialized Allez Elite. It is a bit more than I wanted to spend but don't want to get a bike that I am itching to upgrade the week after I buy it. I also wasn't understanding how much the hobby of cycling costs, lol. I have no cycling experience other than stationary at the gym which is what all my training has been so far.

I was just wondering if anybody else on here was participating in this ride? Would love any training tips or advice you may have. I am pretty clueless in this arena but figured after I get my bike and start riding with some local groups I will figure it out. I look forward to hearing from you guys and seeing if anybody else will be participating.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by medicpig View Post
    I am participating in the Smart Ride (Rider 246) this November from Miami to Key West it is a 2 day 165 mile charity ride for HIV/AIDS organizations in Florida. The first day is 100 miles and the second is the remaining 65 miles. I actually am still in bike shopping mode but hopefully to purchase either next weekend or the one after. I think I have decided on the Specialized Allez Elite. It is a bit more than I wanted to spend but don't want to get a bike that I am itching to upgrade the week after I buy it. I also wasn't understanding how much the hobby of cycling costs, lol. I have no cycling experience other than stationary at the gym which is what all my training has been so far.

I was just wondering if anybody else on here was participating in this ride? Would love any training tips or advice you may have. I am pretty clueless in this arena but figured after I get my bike and start riding with some local groups I will figure it out. I look forward to hearing from you guys and seeing if anybody else will be participating.
    I just did the MS 150, which is a very similar ride--Miami to Key Largo and back. One bit of advice: try to do at least two or three century rides before November, and you'll be fine. Also, eat lots of Pasta the day before!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Was thinking id like to do the ride too, but just saw that the fundraising minimum is $1,250?!?! They would get a ton more money and participants if the minimum were about $300 or $400 max. I would participate then, but I cant raise $1,250. Thats ridiculous.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The fundraising is a little daunting but I am going the corporate sponsor route and am not too concerned about making it happen. You should do it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gaspi101 View Post
    Was thinking id like to do the ride too, but just saw that the fundraising minimum is $1,250?!?! They would get a ton more money and participants if the minimum were about $300 or $400 max. I would participate then, but I cant raise $1,250. Thats ridiculous.
    You shouldn't let fund raising hold you back if you are genuinely interested in an event like this. It can seem daunting before you give it a try, but it can actually be a lot of fun to get people to rally around the cause for you. Having bars sponsor your ride, charity silent auctions, and other similar events work well to raise the required donation (just asking people for money is terrible). Give it a try.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWheels View Post
    You shouldn't let fund raising hold you back if you are genuinely interested in an event like this. It can seem daunting before you give it a try, but it can actually be a lot of fun to get people to rally around the cause for you. Having bars sponsor your ride, charity silent auctions, and other similar events work well to raise the required donation (just asking people for money is terrible). Give it a try.
    I did, two months a go for the MS150. Way too darn much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anybody else? Thought there might be more people active on this thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by medicpig View Post
    Anybody else? Thought there might be more people active on this thread.
    Try posting in the Region forum. Probably more people there interested in this. After all, Florida scares people. Well, not Southern Florida
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.