VKW
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

2013 Specialized S-Works Shoe Clear Coat on Bottom of Shoe

I've got two pairs of 2013 S-works shoes to test out which size fits me best. Looking at both of them, there was one big difference between them. The base of both of them is black and white. But one of them, the entire bottom of the shoe is clear coated. On the other, only the black is clear coated and the white section is matte.

I was just curious for anyone else who has these shoes, what their base is like. Did they miss the clear coat on one pair? Was it an initial production run then Specialized decided it was better to clear coat them all?

This is what I am referring to.
    2013 Specialized S-Works Shoe Clear Coat on Bottom of Shoe-specialized-s-works-road-shoe-2013-black-white.jpg
    Last edited by VKW; 03-12-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I think that one pair of these shoes was sent to you accidently. The pair with the clear coat only over the black is the weight weenies model. It's hard to deny that the extra protection of clear coat over the white portion of the sole will exact a weight penalty.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

VKW
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Hah! Now here I thought it was because it was half a size smaller that it weighed 8 grams lighter. Thanks for enlightening me that it was the clear coat that was acting as the weight anchor to my feet.