Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

2014 Synapse Hi-Mod Black Inc. vs. 2014 Trek Domane 6.9 Project One?

14K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Upnorth 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm close to either picking up a 2014 Synapse Hi-Mod Black Inc. or a 2014 Trek Domane 6.9 Project One. Wanted to get your opinion when compared pound-for-pound. Assume fit is perfect on both and performance / ride on both feels somewhat even in my few short test rides. I know the Black Inc. seems exclusive / limited edition-esque, but is that complete blackout look a trend or boring? I'm used to colorful prints on road bikes. I want to use this bike for the next 5 years at minimum. Modane was too small and stiff and so were the Evo / Cervelo bikes I tried. Narrowed it down to these 2. The Black Inc. has the perfect set of components, but I've always been a fan of Domane. But what is your opinion. I'm looking to purchase by 11/3/2014, so let me know your thoughts. Thanks

#2 ·
They're both good brands, but if I would shy away from Dura Ace gear and suggest Ultegra level. You'll give up a little weight savings, but save money and get added durability.

I thin at the higher end, of which both these bikes are, you're better off with the Trek brand. Most importantly though you should try both for fit.

#7 ·
Madone is a race-oriented bike. So are the Evo and both types of Cervelo bikes.

The Synapse and Domane lines are both targetted at casual, endurance/fitness riders. What you are.

A lot of people have probably told you they hate matte black. I like it. I thought the Black Inc. was super sexy. Cannondale sell a black/gold bike. I thought that was even cooler. Looks is up to you. Don't worry about what others think. Also, on the road or in a group, less people will give you crap about your bike than you think.

To be honest, you'll probably be happy with either bike. I'd make a pros and cons list (you actually end up being able to find a lot more things you didn't really think about). If that fails (usually I make those lists and then end up feeling better about the "worse" option), go with what you feel. Failing that, price. Failing that, flip a coin.

#8 ·
I'm in a similar boat - seriously considering Trek Domane 6-series (or P1), Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod, and Giant Defy Advanced SL.

Trek Domane - beautiful, but most expensive of the three.

Cannondale Synapse - colors so/so, haven't been seeing a positive comments re the Mavic wheels lately.

Giant Defy Advanced SL - best price, haven't been able to test ride yet.

Thoughts anyone?

#9 ·
I am in a similar boat as well. I've been riding an ORBEA Orca gold which has been a great bike but looking to get a more relaxed geo without sacrificing speed!

I have test ridden the following:
1. Madone 5 w/ H2 geo- about 30 miles it was a great ride and a good bike but felt sluggish especially out of the saddle.

2. Roubaix sl4 pro with zipp wheels- felt like a noodle that I had to work hard to get going and keep it up to speed. Several 30+ mile rides

3. Synapse Carbon 4 Rival- had them put my wheels on the bike (50 mm carbon tubulers) and this bike just felt awesome to me. Very lively, responsive, tracked like it was on rails, smooth ride even though I ran 120psi. In short this bike just felt like it fit me very well.

4. Defy carbon w/ shimano 105- only got about 5 miles on this bike but it felt pretty good. Similar to my orbea but more plush. Kind of felt like I rode on top of the defy whereas when I rode the synapse I felt like I was "in" the bike. Head angle was steeper (72.5 degrees) than synapse (72 degrees) and roubaix (72 degrees) and I could feel the difference with a slightly more twitchy ride. Stock wheels= heavy.

5. Pinarello KOBH- now known as the dogma k but you can find plenty of left over KOBH frames laying around because they didn't sell well and you can buy them for cheap ($2,500 for frame-which is cheap for a pina). Great ride but steeper head angle (73 degrees) than any other touring frame. About 20 miles on this bike with quality carbon wheels.

So if I had to buy today it would be the synapse Hi mod frame. I am curious about putting more miles on a defy but all the 2015 models will have disc brakes and I'd rather not have a disc brake road bike since I live in Florida.

Anyone else had good miles on both the defy and the synapse?

#10 ·
I have about a 1000 miles on my 2014 Synapse but it's not a Hi-Mod. Just a carbon 4. But I absolutely love it. Only thing I can compare to are the couple Spec. Allez that I've had in the past but the Synapse simply blows them away and they were good riding bikes in their own right.

#11 ·
My short list (I think...):

'15 Roubaix Pro Di2 ultegra disk
'15 Synapse Hi-Mod Di2 disk
'15 Domane DA Di2 disk
'15 BMC GF-01

I have an 07 S-Works Roubaix that met up with the world's worst driver and once I get this cast off in a couple months it's time to reload.

Seems the Roubaix would be the familiar/easy/safe choice although the white on white doesn't really do it for me.

The Synapse is somewhat visually unimpressive.

The BMC is foreign (pardon the pun) to me and I don't know how it's '15 is going to spec out.

What surprised me was the Trek. I never took Treks seriously but the bang for the buck was impressive compared to the Roubaix. Same price moves me from Ult to DA groupo. The wheel might be a downgrade however.

Dark horse: Merckx 525. I would never get to ride it before I bought it which scares the hell out of me but they're damned sexy.

I know I'm just blathering and I have to ride them (sans cast) but anyone have anything for me here?

#12 ·
Hi everyone,
<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/mNkDb" vspale=0></iframe>
I'm close to either picking up a 2014 Synapse Hi-Mod Black Inc. or a 2014 Trek Domane 6.9 Project One. Wanted to get your opinion when compared pound-for-pound. Assume fit is perfect on both and performance / ride on both feels somewhat even in my few short test rides. I know the Black Inc. seems exclusive / limited edition-esque, but is that complete blackout look a trend or boring? I'm used to colorful prints on road bikes. I want to use this bike for the next 5 years at minimum. Modane was too small and stiff and so were the Evo / Cervelo bikes I tried. Narrowed it down to these 2. The Black Inc. has the perfect set of components, but I've always been a fan of Domane. But what is your opinion. I'm looking to purchase by 11/3/2014, so let me know your thoughts. Thanks
Both are great bikes. You wont be disappointed with either

#13 ·
My only problem with the Domane (trek) is the "decoupler" thing that dampens the ride. In short if the decoupler fails you cannot ride the bike. On the Roubaix if the zertz are removed you can still ride the bike but not so on the Domane.

I want a typical frame that doesn't need any rubber parts to do what its suppose to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.