Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 Goals

RoadBikeReview Member
    maybe get up to 5,000km from 4300km this year - but half of that mtn biking which counts for triple or quintuple miles, based on time LOL.

I just want to lose 25 lbs next year I think. Or at least not die by dec 31st next year
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Banned forever.....or not
    I can't be competitive with the younger racers. That's when it's time to hang it up.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I'm drawing my own conclusions, but after 30 some years it makes sense to me.
    Yeah 30 is a long time for anything. I get it. But just wondering if there was something that made the decision for him or if it was just 30 years as you say.

Now that I'm 50 I can't see racing much into my 60's but, who knows? From what I see the fields are just so small it doesn't look like much fun. With the smaller fields the level of competition doesn't get any easier either. Seems like the most competitive continue on so to hang you probably have to do a half way decent job training and that gets friggin old for sure...But, everything is relative.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    I can't be competitive with the younger racers. That's when it's time to hang it up.
    Got it. Completely understand.

Banned forever.....or not
    By me, the 50+ races are as fast (or faster) than the Cat 3 races. The 60+ races aren't much slower. There are 5-6 guys that can break the hour in a 40K TT, pushing the pace in a criterium, into the high 20's.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    By me, the 50+ races are as fast (or faster) than the Cat 3 races. The 60+ races aren't much slower. There are 5-6 guys that can break the hour in a 40K TT, pushing the pace in a criterium, into the high 20's.
    Above is reason enough to quit racing...kidding ;)

There comes a time...I have experienced it...when racing and/or riding with the fastest group in town...aka the drop group where the fastest guy wins the ride...no longer seems worth it. I have experienced this....but I never seem to have had the need to win some guys have...this drive. About a year ago, our A group ride has split up and go off in the morning back to back. There isn't a lot between the two rides...they sometimes finish pretty close together...the slower group all with guys that raced and rode with many in the fastest group....but father time catches up. Even if the body can still perform, the mind doesn't see the point. There are exceptions tho. There is one guy who I ride with time to time who is a 66 y.o. nationally ranked rider who trains with a coach and rides with 5 inches of drop and he is a very fast guy and still wants to win even tho he can't beat 50 y.o. CAT 1's that ride in the group that join us and punish us from time to time. A lot of the oldsters I ride with are on Strava and always trying to beat one another. Whenever I am asked because I can keep up with most of these guys when I really try which I don't always feel like...some days I am in the mood, they ask me if I am on Strava and I say no, I can't be bothered and they look at me with bewilderment. To me, riding fast within certain parameters of fitness is about willfulness if not capacity to suffer. Losing the drive to suffer after you have been to the mountain thousands of times and riding close to redline all the time even with recovery rides...I am not sure this the best formula for an aging cyclist...aka too many free radicals. Less intensive exercise maybe healthier. The 66 y.o. nationally ranked guy I nicknamed grandpa...the dude looks 80...but can ride like the wind...lol.
    The price of being hell bent for election. ;)

But I certainly get it and so do the guys who formed the second group who no longer want to bounce their HR off the ceiling on every group ride. They are still a far cry from the more out of shape B level crowd...just got tired of eating their young. ;)
    Last edited by 11spd; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:04 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Above is reason enough to quit racing...kidding ;)

There comes a time...I have experienced it...when racing and/or riding with the fastest group in town...aka the drop group where the fastest guy wins the ride...no longer seems worth it. I have experienced this....but I never seem to have had the need to win some guys have...this drive. About a year ago, our A group ride has split up and go off in the morning back to back. There isn't a lot between the two rides...they sometimes finish pretty close together...the slower group all with guys that raced and rode with many in the fastest group....but father time catches up. Even if the body can still perform, the mind doesn't see the point. There are exceptions tho. There is one guy who I ride with time to time who is a 66 y.o. nationally ranked rider who trains with a coach and rides with 5 inches of drop and he is a very fast guy and still wants to win even tho he can't beat 50 y.o. CAT 1's that ride in the group that join us and punish us from time to time. A lot of the oldsters I ride with are on Strava and always trying to beat one another. Whenever I am asked because I can keep up with most of these guys when I really try which I don't always feel like...some days I am in the mood, they ask me if I am on Strava and I say no, I can't be bothered and they look at me with bewilderment. To me, riding fast within certain parameters of fitness is about willfulness if not capacity to suffer. Losing the drive to suffer after you have been to the mountain thousands of times and riding close to redline all the time even with recovery rides...I am not sure this the best formula for an aging cyclist...aka too many free radicals. Less intensive exercise maybe healthier. The 66 y.o. nationally ranked guy I nicknamed grandpa...the dude looks 80...but can ride like the wind...lol.
    The price of being hell bent for election. ;)

But I certainly get it and so do the guys who formed the second group who no longer want to bounce their HR off the ceiling on every group ride. They are still a far cry from the more out of shape B level crowd...just got tired of eating their young. ;)
    Put another way it's called getting old. With age comes many things and a general increase in fitness isn't one of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Put another way it's called getting old. With age comes many things and a general increase in fitness isn't one of them.
    Which reminds me of what my grandma said before she died just short of her 90th birthday. She asked me what I thought what was good about getting old? I said, I didn't know. She replied, nothing...lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think my only goal will be to learn to do a track stand. After this year I'm done with quests that involve Mother Nature's cooperation.
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Which reminds me of what my grandma said before she died just short of her 90th birthday. She asked me what I thought what was good about getting old? I said, I didn't know. She replied, nothing...lol.
    Yeah I watched all my Grandparents fade physically and some mentally. Now I'm starting to see it in my folks. And I'm beginning to come to grips with the fact I'm closer to the end than the beginning.

Well, in writing this, my goal for 2018 is just to not worry about what I can't control and not make any excuses whether cycling related or anything else. Time is limited.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    GFNY in under 6.5 hours , GFNJ century and not die trying. Ride more with my daughter and not watch her disappear in the distance.
    More exploring on the bike . Faster rides at Cedar creek ( 22 mile loop at 60 min )

Best part , its all doable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016

2018 Goals

No goals yet for 2018. Last year I did more than 15,000K but usually I ride between 10k and 15k per year/ season. I stopped racing 20 years ago and biking is more about happiness to ride in the outdoors since that time. I have to think about 2018....I pretty much like the 2016 goals of the OP. Maybe because I never stop for a coffee...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    To be competitive in my local masters races.

Last year was my first year to race and my goal each race was to not finish last!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12