Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Goals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

2018 Goals

It time to set my cycling goal for next year, and I would like to come up with something different than just a mileage goal. Looking for some original ideas. Something that would give me motivation to add variety to my cycling rather than just grinding out the miles and riding the same roads over and over. Last year my goal was to ride every dirt road within 20 miles from home. In 2016 my goal was to stop at 50 different coffee spots, and my 2015 goal was to ride over 1000 miles of unique (non-redundant) roads.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

xxl
    "My goals? My goals are to find a cure for irony and make a fool out of God."

(Also, the goal of frequenting increasingly out-of-the-way coffee shops in the riding area).
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    It time to set my cycling goal for next year, and I would like to come up with something different than just a mileage goal. Looking for some original ideas. Something that would give me motivation to add variety to my cycling rather than just grinding out the miles and riding the same roads over and over. Last year my goal was to ride every dirt road within 20 miles from home. In 2016 my goal was to stop at 50 different coffee spots, and my 2015 goal was to ride over 1000 miles of unique (non-redundant) roads.
    I like the goals you set in previous years!

Ive been contemplating this, too. Im leaning toward 6 centuries as the focus. Theres a Triple Crown in my region featuring big days on gravel, MTB, and a road gran Fondo, which all sounds interesting. There are some Scenic Bikeways in Oregon Id like to hit. Plus theres a pesistent ad on Facebook for a 12 day tour of Ireland that I just cant shake.

Ill still have a 6,000 mi. goal baked into whatever plan materializes.

I guess its almost time to sharpen my pencil on this problem!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    My modest goal is to make it ride the whole year. I'm crossing my fingers. If that goal is met then my goal is to complete the Marmotte or as much of it as I can, ride the Mare de Deu del Mont and the Vallter 2000 and if I feel good sign up for and complete the Levi's Grand Fondo. I don't care what time I finish any of these events in so long as I complete them, but hoping I do the climbs competitive with my age group.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Take up mountain biking.
    Get a cheap fixed gear and ride it in a group.
    Join a new group.
    Learn how to bunny hop.

I love to climb!
    A century each month. 300,000 feet of elevation gain. I also have goals for beating times in some endurance events.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    My wife wants to do a triathlon...her dream is an Ironman. I think she's absolutely nuts, but my goal is to train along with her, at least on the bike.

So, in concrete terms, that's a century by August.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not many goals per se. Pretty happy with my fitness. Ride almost everyday. Have reduced distance and increased intensity a bit...more intervals. Don't seem to lose the capacity for endurance...but gain in speed and strength. I also in the last six months gained some weight. I am 6'1" and was at 170 lbs. I look better and beefier at 185 lbs...my current weight. I am a swimmer and have a chest and upper body. I don't like the hollowed out pure cycling body...prefer a Tri body. At one point a couple of years back, I was riding 50-60 miles a day and believe riding less and faster I am arguably stronger.
    Stopped training with power and HR. If I rode more intensity rides, I would ride with HR which I did when doing more serious training.

So my goal is to ride a lot which I always do and be able to keep up with anybody I come across. I also like to help those new to cycling, build some new bikes and fix a few for those a bit less fortunate or who just need a hand.

I enjoy the social aspect of cycling...riding with friends, club riders and my girl friend who looks pretty outstanding in her bike kit. Most of all to stay safe and healthy. Just came in from my ride.

I just have to mention to you guys about a guy who rides at our club. He is such a freak. Now I ride with guys who routinely ride 12K miles a year....a couple at the 15K mark which is twice the miles I ride...my excuse ;)...but honestly, there is almost nothing between us....but there is this guy....70 y.o....looks 50...rides a Scott Foil aero bike and a pretty sporty position and he rode 24,000 miles last year. I am pretty sure, I could not ride 24K miles and not injure myself and I am a fair amount younger. We ride at about the same level when out with the club. There are also a couple of 60 somethings I ride with that can average 300 watts for an hour. Some real freaks out there.
    Last edited by 11spd; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:50 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ride in as many states as possible.

How about doing a 400 or 600 kilometer brevet? Maybe one of 1200 kilometers. Or maybe a 200, 300, 400 and 600 kilometer brevet over the course of the year.
    https://rusa.org/

While these are still mileage based, they are based on ride length, not a year end mileage goal.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Ride in as many states as possible.

How about doing a 400 or 600 kilometer brevet? Maybe one of 1200 kilometers. Or maybe a 200, 300, 400 and 600 kilometer brevet over the course of the year.
    https://rusa.org/

While these are still mileage based, they are based on ride length, not a year end mileage goal.
    Why do you guys still use metric system to identify distance? Are you guys riding in Europe?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Why do you guys still use metric system to identify distance? Are you guys riding in Europe?
    Why do you guys ride bicycles with metric bolts if you're riding in the US?

But maybe it's about making a system that's comparable world wide.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I take it you don't think using Euro terms adds has a certain je ne sais quoi?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe a 200 mile ride in one day. I've done a double metric before and this year did back to back 100 mile days (was destroyed by the end of the second).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    Maybe a 200 mile ride in one day. I've done a double metric before and this year did back to back 100 mile days (was destroyed by the end of the second).
    My goal is to not ride a century. Well, maybe one ;) But certainly not a double century. I think I could do 200 miles in one day, but only if life depended on it but would be slow and too painful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I take it you don't think using Euro terms adds has a certain je ne sais quoi?
    lol... not really...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Why do you guys ride bicycles with metric bolts if you're riding in the US? Cuz that's what it came with ...

But maybe it's about making a system that's comparable world wide.
    Agreed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    My goal is to not ride a century. Well, maybe one ;) But certainly not a double century. I think I could do 200 miles in one day, but only if life depended on it but would be slow and too painful.
    It is on my list of things to do at least once. Unlikely to make it a regular thing. Regular centuries on the other hand I tend to enjoy and usually get about 4 to 5 of them in a year.
    Last edited by taodemon; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:33 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It is on my list of things to do at least once. Unlikely to make it a regular thing. Regular centuries on the other hand I tend to enjoy.
    I like the idea to ride a century under 5 hours with friends...leaning on the strongest guy to do most of the pulling ;) with enough energy left to go out and celebrate the day afterward.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agreed.
    So you're agreeing with the part of the post that you added?

Think pretty much of yourself don't ya.
    Too old to ride plastic

banned
    Jan 2015
    Finally do a century ride.
    Ride down the west coast , Washington to San Diego
    5000 miles for the year riding, 1000 miles running
    Figure out if Im going to start a new career or job when I retire from the AF

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrasmak View Post
    Finally do a century ride.
    Ride down the west coast , Washington to San Diego
    5000 miles for the year riding, 1000 miles running
    Figure out if Im going to start a new career or job when I retire from the AF
    5000 miles has been one of my goals for last 3 years and I always seemed to come up short. 4600 on my first year on the road bike, down to 4300, then down to 4000 last year (second kid born at the end of the season which cut into riding). This year I finally made it though, 5311 miles, so I guess one of my goals for next year would be to break 5000 again. Don't think I have enough free time to do much more than that between work and family.

banned
    Jan 2015
    5000 miles has been one of my goals for last 3 years and I always seemed to come up short. 4600 on my first year on the road bike, down to 4300, then down to 4000 last year (second kid born at the end of the season which cut into riding). This year I finally made it though, 5311 miles, so I guess one of my goals for next year would be to break 5000 again. Don't think I have enough free time to do much more than that between work and family.
    I have 2 young kids, I know it wont be easy. BMX has also cut into my riding time, but at least I also race with them.

Only big big advantage I have, about 4 months of paid vacation I have to take this year.

Banned forever.....or not
    For the first time since 1985, I have no goals. I decided, mid season, last year, to retire from racing. I quit doing hard training rides with a group that I've been riding with, since 1997. Since June, I've just been riding with non-racing friends on weekends, and doing short solo rides during the week. Since November and December rolled in, I've been lucky to get in 100 mile weeks.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    For the first time since 1985, I have no goals. I decided, mid season, last year, to retire from racing. I quit doing hard training rides with a group that I've been riding with, since 1997. Since June, I've just been riding with non-racing friends on weekends, and doing short solo rides during the week. Since November and December rolled in, I've been lucky to get in 100 mile weeks.
    Interested to read what went into your decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Interested to read what went into your decision.
    I'm drawing my own conclusions, but after 30 some years it makes sense to me.
    Too old to ride plastic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast