Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    To me two road bikes don't make a great deal of sense. I get the fact you want one with racing geometry and one more for touring but they're still rather similar. When I dealt with this dilemma I made the second bike more to a gravel spec(larger tires, disc brakes etc). I think this approach could also satisfy your idea of a century bike too but give you some off road options or serve as a good choice in bad weather.
    That's like saying you shouldn't have two pairs of jeans.
    Cheap bikes are great... because they're cheap!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tabl10s View Post
    That's like saying you shouldn't have two pairs of jeans.
    Yeah not sure what's the big deal of having two bikes. If I had a Harley and a Honda cbr1000 which one would you take on a 5hr ride?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 07stuntin6r View Post
    Yeah not sure what's the big deal of having two bikes. If I had a Harley and a Honda cbr1000 which one would you take on a 5hr ride?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    If YOU had a motorcycle to spare, I had a motorcycle endorsement, and felt like picking a new costly addiction, I’d let the loaning owner choose the loaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    May I suggest the Fuji Gran Fondo line. I just picked up the GF 2.3 and absolutely love the bike. It's so comfortable!! I also have a Fuji SL 2.3 which is their "race" geometry but not as comfortable as the GF.
    2017 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3
    2016 Fuji SL 2.3
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR
    2014 Marin Bocat Trail 29er

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I have two road bikes, and a CX... and two mountain bikes (HT and FS).

Mine are a 1st gen Foil and alu Speedster. I like having the Speedster for trainer duty, and because it rides nicer. Would be ideal to have the new Foil as it rides a lot better than 1st gen, but I think I'd still want the speedster for trainer duty.

I suppose I could live with just the new Foil, but having multiples means you always have one if the other goes down for mechanical etc.

Also you should get a CX/Gravel rig, I love mine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post

What I said was "gravel, rail trails, dirt, etc.". And 30's are plenty fine for any of those.
    In your experience. When I see “gravel, rail trail” and see two very different conditions, I know one is very likely to work well with 28s or 30s and the other is likely to be uncomfortable and skittish on 32s...

Get the bike that fits bigger tires, we both said. Average mass rider, different definitions of “gravel” leads to different goal tire size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Difference in 2nd bike from the first really depends OP on what type of supplemental riding you want to do. If you foray out on dirt or gravel, then you likely want a bike with 32c clearance aka a gravel bike. If you don't stray this far ever off tarmac but you want to ride broken tarmac and get a bit more out of town, 28c makes sense.

Me, I have both a more racy bike and a touring bike which will fit 28c with a drop bar and I fit panniers on and I keep a rack on there. This may not be your cup of tea precisely...but starts with what you anticipate using the second bike for.

If its just a second bike to do centuries...a bike smack between a race and endurance bike like an Emonda that will fit 28c is perfect, uber light and can keep up in the A group ride on it. I prefer the Emonda to Domane for example all said for centuries.

Depends on the intended purpose of the bike. If you want to put a rack on it and get lost sometimes, get a bike with eyelets to mount a rack and/or fenders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12