Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

2nd Bike options

So right now I have a Specialized Allez Sprint which I currently ride and like. I am wanting a second bike for longer rides and a more relaxed position. I have been going over and over between an endurance bike or race bike which is not so much dedicated to "crit". I really love all of the bikes and what they offer. Below are the ones I like and can probably find locally.

Giant TCR Adv 2
    Giant Defy
    Trek Domane/Emonda
    CAAD12 or Synapse

Now I know they all are carbon except the CAAD12. Based on reviews and the looks I added this one as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Neophyte
    All reputable, go try 'em and buy the one you like.

Personally, I've had had two friends that were both happy for a long time on older TCRs.

I've ridden a Domane for a week when I rented it on vacation and it was solid... I'd say if my Scott Addict is like a Lotus, the Domane is like a high-end SUV.

My father-in-law has a CAAD12 that he likes, he is a bit older and is still comfortable on it... and I have a friend who has put thousands of miles on a CAAD10 that she rides pretty much daily. She never complains about comfort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    To me two road bikes don't make a great deal of sense. I get the fact you want one with racing geometry and one more for touring but they're still rather similar. When I dealt with this dilemma I made the second bike more to a gravel spec(larger tires, disc brakes etc). I think this approach could also satisfy your idea of a century bike too but give you some off road options or serve as a good choice in bad weather.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    To me two road bikes don't make a great deal of sense. I get the fact you want one with racing geometry and one more for touring but they're still rather similar. When I dealt with this dilemma I made the second bike more to a gravel spec(larger tires, disc brakes etc). I think this approach could also satisfy your idea of a century bike too but give you some off road options or serve as a good choice in bad weather.
    Agreed...one that will serve a good purpose on rougher terrain would be good as well. Or should I just look into upgrading my grouper, bars etc?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 07stuntin6r View Post
    Agreed...one that will serve a good purpose on rougher terrain would be good as well. Or should I just look into upgrading my grouper, bars etc?

I would not be messing with group set and bars. Bars are about comfort. The only question to ask is whether the size is correct and whether the shape is good for your grip. I'm not one to jump on new trends and find most flash in the pans, but I am a big fan of the low profile designs. As far as group sets, upgrades are not really upgrades. Gravel bikes do well with easier gears so for a bike like that compact design works, for a regular road bike you might want mid-compact or standard 53-39. This is all personal so I can easily see ten guys now coming in and offering 11 opinions that differ from the one I just provided.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Bars and group isn't going to turn your bike into an endurance bike.

I'd get the bike that fits the widest tires. 28's min, preferably 30's. Then you'll have something to ride gravel, rail trails, dirt, etc. It'll be more comfortable. Consider discs and you'll have a fun bike to ride in the rain. Some of my favorite rides were in the rain on a warm summer day.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I would not be messing with group set and bars. Bars are about comfort. The only question to ask is whether the size is correct and whether the shape is good for your grip. I'm not one to jump on new trends and find most flash in the pans, but I am a big fan of the low profile designs. As far as group sets, upgrades are not really upgrades. Gravel bikes do well with easier gears so for a bike like that compact design works, for a regular road bike you might want mid-compact or standard 53-39. This is all personal so I can easily see ten guys now coming in and offering 11 opinions that differ from the one I just provided.
    Just curious cause what came on my bike is tiagra and specialized axis brakeset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Just curious cause what came on my bike is tiagra and specialized axis brakeset.

so now you've taken the conversation in a different direction. if it shifts and brakes well, leave it alone. if you're not sure, rent an ultegra bike and evaluate the shifting and braking and see it for yourself. you might have to change wheel sets too, so it can get expensive.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    What year is your bike? Because if it's new, modern Tiagra is pretty good. It's pretty much everything trickled down from Ultegra 6700.
    The brakes.... you could pick up a set of Ultegra's on ebay for cheap and see a noticeable improvement.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Why 2 road bikes ? Get a gravel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    What year is your bike? Because if it's new, modern Tiagra is pretty good. It's pretty much everything trickled down from Ultegra 6700.
    The brakes.... you could pick up a set of Ultegra's on ebay for cheap and see a noticeable improvement.
    It's a 2017

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Why 2 road bikes ? Get a gravel.
    What would be a good option? I just would want the option to use it in a race if its not a criterium. A gravel would seem to me to be a heavier option.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It's a 2017

This one? https://www.specialized.com/us/en/al...elite/p/118416
    Yup, that Tiagra is essentially Ultegra 6700. I wouldn't upgrade the group, except for the brakes.

Are you running the stock tires? Espoir Sport, 700x25mm, 60TPI, wire bead
    Get some Continental GP4k's in 25mm and you'll notice a big improvement in ride quality and comfort.

Otherwise, there's nothing worth upgrading.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    This one? https://www.specialized.com/us/en/al...elite/p/118416
    Yup, that Tiagra is essentially Ultegra 6700. I wouldn't upgrade the group, except for the brakes.

Are you running the stock tires? Espoir Sport, 700x25mm, 60TPI, wire bead
    Get some Continental GP4k's in 25mm and you'll notice a big improvement in ride quality and comfort.

Otherwise, there's nothing worth upgrading.
    Correct stock tires on it. I have other rims I use for races with continentals

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    What would be a good option? I just would want the option to use it in a race if its not a criterium. A gravel would seem to me to be a heavier option.
    A Synapse with 32mm tires would be a gravel bike. A top of the line Synapse Disc is under 16lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    A Synapse with 32mm tires would be a gravel bike. A top of the line Synapse Disc is under 16lbs.
    Oh okay yeah that's what I have listed as well as a defy

RoadBikeReview Member
    So right now I have a Specialized Allez Sprint which I currently ride and like. I am wanting a second bike for longer rides and a more relaxed position. I have been going over and over between an endurance bike or race bike which is not so much dedicated to "crit". I really love all of the bikes and what they offer. Below are the ones I like and can probably find locally.

Giant TCR Adv 2
    Giant Defy
    Trek Domane/Emonda
    CAAD12 or Synapse

Now I know they all are carbon except the CAAD12. Based on reviews and the looks I added this one as well.

So what is it you are hoping to achieve with a new bike purchase? The reason I ask is that the bikes you have listed are not the same type of bikes.

Giant TCR Adv 2, Trek Emonda and Cannondale CAAD12 are aggressive position race bikes.

Giant Defy, Trek Domane and Cannondale Synapse are all more upright position endurance bikes.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    So what is it you are hoping to achieve with a new bike purchase? The reason I ask is that the bikes you have listed are not the same type of bikes.

Giant TCR Adv 2, Trek Emonda and Cannondale CAAD12 are aggressive position race bikes.

Giant Defy, Trek Domane and Cannondale Synapse are all more upright position endurance bikes.
    That and I do want another bike not considered a crit bike as the sprint is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really like having a 2nd road bike which can take 28mm+ tires, has disk brakes and can easily be fitted with fenders. but in my case I do it with a racing cyclocross frame. every bit as light and stiff and steep angled as a road bike frame, but more practical, exp in winter, on gravel, in the wet, etc. Now A roubaix, Domane, Defy will do this just very well too, practically the same thing as my 'cross framed bike. I did not like the upright positioning and relaxed geo of the gravel bikes I looked at - might make sense in the wilderness on really rough gravel or bikepacking, but not for around here.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    That and I do want another bike not considered a crit bike as the sprint is.
    So it sounds like you want something like the Giant Defy, Trek Domane or Cannondale Synapse. If I were you, I would go with the one that can take the widest tires.

And don't disqualify gravel bikes because you think they are heavy and slow. They are amazingly faster than you would think. I suggest you test ride the GT Grade and the Jamis Renegade. Keep in mind that you can always put slicks on if you want to go faster on pavement.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Road Warrior
    It sounds like you already have a nice road bike. Have you considered a more durable frame so you can abuse it, just a little more! I have a newish Domane and love the bike but worry about damaging it in the rack on top of the car or someone steeling it or screwing with it while on vacation-traveling. I never worry about damaging my Ti or steel frames. A second bike with close geometry and wider tires would be a lot of fun and less hassle on the beer run, running thru the pucker bushes or just exploring. There are tons of nice used frames out there to choose from, Salsa, Surly, Litespeed, Merlins, etc,, let us know what you decide to do..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    It sounds like you already have a nice road bike. Have you considered a more durable frame so you can abuse it, just a little more! I have a newish Domane and love the bike but worry about damaging it in the rack on top of the car or someone steeling it or screwing with it while on vacation-traveling. I never worry about damaging my Ti or steel frames. A second bike with close geometry and wider tires would be a lot of fun and less hassle on the beer run, running thru the pucker bushes or just exploring. There are tons of nice used frames out there to choose from, Salsa, Surly, Litespeed, Merlins, etc,, let us know what you decide to do..
    Well with this one being aluminum I figured this would be the sturdy bike and then my other being carbon. I have questioned looking for a Ti bike since they do look pretty sexy. How are the motobecane models? Don't see much Ti bikes in the shops I've visited.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bars and group isn't going to turn your bike into an endurance bike.

I'd get the bike that fits the widest tires. 28's min, preferably 30's. Then you'll have something to ride gravel, rail trails, dirt, etc. It'll be more comfortable. Consider discs and you'll have a fun bike to ride in the rain. Some of my favorite rides were in the rain on a warm summer day.
    Riding in the rain can be fun. Rim brakes also work in the rain. 🤫

And 30s are really narrow for the average mass rider on the gravel I’m familiar with. 32s are my bare minimum for any planned gravel road riding. 35s or bigger is better.

To each his own.

OP, I’m not saying don’t get discs, but the bigger benefit for recreational riding is allowing a larger tire than road caliper brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdhawkhill View Post
    Rim brakes also work in the rain. 🤫
    Gee who woulda figured.

And 30s are really narrow for the average mass rider on the gravel I’m familiar with.
    What I said was "gravel, rail trails, dirt, etc.". And 30's are plenty fine for any of those.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well with this one being aluminum I figured this would be the sturdy bike and then my other being carbon. I have questioned looking for a Ti bike since they do look pretty sexy. How are the motobecane models? Don't see much Ti bikes in the shops I've visited.

I have the 2012 Motobecane top level titanium bike. I really wanted a titanium bike and this was pretty much the only way I could afford one. I have very few complaints about my purchase. I love riding ti!
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast