Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WheresWaldo View Post
    Just added a couple more Di2 headset spacer clips at different angles, much cheaper than the raceware stuff. and a few more items for the Sony HDR-AZ1.
    Have you tested any of these Di2 spacers? I got mine yesterday and the first time I used it the tab broke. Is there any way to make the side sections thicker? They're so thin, as soon and the tab moves they break. Also I think it'd help if the overall thickness of the tab was thinner so it could flex easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-tab2.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    @tlg, The clip is the same clip that I have used on all the Di2 variants. You are only the second person who has reported a break, and it isn't in the same place as the first person. Because of the nature of the medium used and the method of manufacture there are always compromises that have to be made somewhere. I tested various thicknesses of clip and needed to strengthen the arm itself otherwise the Junction box could easily be pulled off with disengaging the clip itself. I will double check but I am pretty sure the arms cannot be widened there as we are up against the design constraints of the printer itself, but I will double check this.

That said, sometimes you will get a defective part from Shapeways, if you read over all their FAQs they mention that they recycle some, but not all of their material. The reason they don't do it all is because the nylon when heated can lose some of its physical properties included but not limited to its strength. Let me look at this today, I will let you know what I find. In the mean time contact Shapeways Customer Service, and arrange for a credit. They are very good at helping the customers and liberal with regard to resolving issues based on defective products.

UPDATE: It took a bit of work but I was able to gain a little bit of width on the arm right at the cutout and Shapeways automated checks for printability passed. I am in the process of updating all the clips and should have them all done by the end of the day! I want to thank you @tlg, for bringing this to my attention rather than just complaining that something didn't work.

UPDATE #2: All Di2 Combo Spacer/Junction A Clips have been updated and are now on Shapeways.

One last thing, it does not require hardly any movement to unclip the Junction A, I have over 100 of them all over the world and all but the two I have mentioned have worked perfectly. Just a small movement by taking your fingernail and pushing down very slightly is enough to unlatch the box from the clip. To install, the clip is flexible enough to jut slide the box on. It will then just snap in place once fully seated.
    Last edited by WheresWaldo; 08-28-2015 at 05:32 AM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WheresWaldo View Post
    @tlg, The clip is the same clip that I have used on all the Di2 variants. You are only the second person who has reported a break, and it isn't in the same place as the first person. Because of the nature of the medium used and the method of manufacture there are always compromises that have to be made somewhere. I tested various thicknesses of clip and needed to strengthen the arm itself otherwise the Junction box could easily be pulled off with disengaging the clip itself. I will double check but I am pretty sure the arms cannot be widened there as we are up against the design constraints of the printer itself, but I will double check this.

That said, sometimes you will get a defective part from Shapeways, if you read over all their FAQs they mention that they recycle some, but not all of their material. The reason they don't do it all is because the nylon when heated can lose some of its physical properties included but not limited to its strength. Let me look at this today, I will let you know what I find. In the mean time contact Shapeways Customer Service, and arrange for a credit. They are very good at helping the customers and liberal with regard to resolving issues based on defective products.

UPDATE: It took a bit of work but I was able to gain a little bit of width on the arm right at the cutout and Shapeways automated checks for printability passed. I am in the process of updating all the clips and should have them all done by the end of the day! I want to thank you @tlg, for bringing this to my attention rather than just complaining that something didn't work.
    No problem. I'm an engineer.. I know how things go. I actually modeled up some parts myself to have made for the first time. First one broke.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member

Garmin Flat Mounts (per customer request)

Two new items, per customer requests:

The first is a Garmin socket flat mount, just use extreme (outdoor) double-sided tape to mount a garmin Quarter-turn device onto any flat surface. Uses my redesigned Eighth-Turn socket so that devices can be mounted in either landscape or portrait orientation without modification.
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-eighth-turn_flat_mount.png
    Garmin Eighth-Turn Socket Flat Mount

The second is the actual pronged mount meant also to be installed on a flat surface.
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-quarter-turn_flat_mount.png
    Garmin Quarter-Turn Flat Mount

Mounting surface on both items is approximately 2 inches (50.8 mm).

RoadBikeReview Member

Various Garmin Varia Tail Light Mounts

Per customer request and now available on my Shapeways page are Garmin Varia tail light mounts for Cerverlo S-Series and to mount a Varia on a GoPro mount.
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-cervelo-s-series-garmin-varia-tail-light-mount.jpg
    Cervelo S-Series Garmin Varia Tail Light Mount
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-gopro_to_varia.png
    Garmin Varia/Edge To GoPro Adapter Mount

As well as a beta product Varia Mount for Fizik ICS. As far as I can tell Cateye is the only third party that supports the Fizik ICS system, and even fewer support the ProLogo integrated saddle clip (Topeak).
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-fizik-ics-garmin-varia-tail-light-clip.png
    Garmin Varia Tail Light To Fizik ICS Saddle Mount

The Garmin Edge socket is a variation I created, It is 100% Edge compatible but only requires an eighth-turn to lock in place. As a result I was able to get both landscape and portrait mounting orientations without the need to modify or create multiple models of the same mount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts

Can you make a mount for the new Specialized Venge ViAS? The seat post for this particular bike is very aero and a different shape than the older Venge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am going to send you a PM with my contact information so we can discuss this. but the short answer is yes depending on a few prerequisites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Can you make a mount for the new Specialized Venge ViAS? The seat post for this particular bike is very aero and a different shape than the older Venge.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Has anyone tried the race plate number holder? I'd love to see what it looks like in a photo...

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    I sold a few at the beginning of last season, but I have no way of contacting the buyers. It is a very limited market.

Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    Has anyone tried the race plate number holder? I'd love to see what it looks like in a photo...

RoadBikeReview Member

NiteRider Pro Adjustable interface for the K-Edge Combo Garmin Mount

Just worked this up for someone who needed a way to mount a NiteRider Pro headlamp on a K-Edge Combo mount.
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-625x465_4355609_14241310_1455128003.jpg
    K-Edge Combo Mount NiteRider Pro Interface
    Fully adjust tilt after setting the angle of the K-Edge mount, need two M3 x 8 mm allen head cap screws to secure to the bottom of the K-Edge mount.

Plus at others request I now have custom fit Cyclic Fly6 mounts, Garmin Varia taillight mounts and GoPro mounts for the following bikes:
    Pinarello Dogma 65.1, Dogma 2 as well as the Dogma 60.1
    Kestrel RT-900/1000
    Fizik I.C.S
    Prologo/Topeak QuickClip

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got a few new things worked out for Cygolite Hotshots, you can now mount a Hotshot tail light directly on a Fizik ICS saddle. So you can now use that clip for something other than a Cateye or Fizik's own tail light. Plus a Hotshot to GoPro mount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here are a couple of renders of the hotshot and Planet Bike Fizik ICS clips. The Hotshot clip has the locking nib approximately 45 mm under the top of the clip. It does allow the Hotshot to sit 1-2mm above the top of the clip but will not interfere with any Fizik saddle equipped with ICS. The Planet Bike clip has its locking nib approximately 48 mm below the top of the insert and also does not interfere with the bottom of any Fizik saddle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-625x465_4449463_14691395_1457469332.png   3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-625x465_4423431_14695225_1457483379.png  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Are you releasing the CAD files for these parts?
    Stop caring about other people's FTP and ride your damn bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Some of the parts I have done have had early iterations released as CAD files on Thingiverse. Most of the stuff that I have to buy the parts for reverse engineering or are proprietary designs I will not release files. It is an enormous endeavor to get this not only structurally sound but perfectly fitting and aesthetically pleasing. The models and files I have released are up on Thingiverse and some on YouMagine under the same username as here.

Quote Originally Posted by deviousalex View Post
    Are you releasing the CAD files for these parts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Like your custom 3D printed Parts. Have you had a request for a Garmin mount to clip on the back of a saddlebag? Im looking to mount a varia and a fly 6 on my bikes but dont have a lot of space for both. PM sent to your mail.
    "Close the Gap"
    ~Steve Masters

RoadBikeReview Member

Some special requests

A bunch of new stuff to show and a few custom items. If I don't have something that fits, just ask, I will either design it for you or I know someone that already has it designed. But anyway here is some custom requests:

Had someone ask if he could mount 4 different devices on a K-Edge Garmin Combo mount. Of course I didn't mess with the top but he wanted a Di2 Junction box, small headlight, small action cam all underneath. That resulted in this design:
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-di2__dual_gopro_k-edge_interface_2016-mar-31_04-59-47am-000_home.png
    Custom - K-Edge Di2/Dual GoPro Interface
    Mounts with two M3 flat head screws just as any other K-Edge Interface and has the Shimano clip and two GoPro mounts integrated into the same piece.

Next up was a replacement for the Barfly Fizik/3T arm. It only works on the 500/510 and 20/25 (the 520 has buttons on the bottom and there just isn't any room to push them). He wanted the Garmin to sit lower and also wanted it lighter than the now heavy aluminum only version sold by Barfly. You still need to use all the Barfly hardware (so you actually need one already).
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-xd35dfcqt936092f0e437bfd69d4baae36b1_2016-mar-24_05-47-12pm-000_left.jpg
    Custom - Garmin Mount

Another cyclist told me that you could actually pair two Garmin Varia's to an Edge device and use them as left and right indicators. I have no idea if that is true but he wanted a dual Varia mount that would insert into the Fizik ICS clip, so here is what he got:
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-fizik-ics-dual-garmin-clip-v2.png
    Fizik ICS / Dual Garmin Mount

I had never heard of Schmidt dynamos or lights before, but was requested to make a mount that could be used with the Schmidt SON taillight and again, plug it into the Fizik ICS clip
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-fizik-ics-schmidt-son-clip-v2.png
    Fizik ICS / Schmidt SON Clip
    Actually since the holes are set up exactly as they would be on a rear bicycle rack (50 mm c-t-c) you could mount any number of different things on this one.

One more request. This one was lack of space related. It was for a Garmin Mount with a set of handlebars that only had a 60 mm wide center section, he was using a 44 mm wide stem faceplate. Nobody makes a Garmin mount with arms thin enough or the spacing exact enough that he could find, so we came up with this design specific to his bike and a Garmin 520 (or shorter). He ordered it in red and it was a near exact match for his Specialized Tarmac (we got lucky there). With the necessary hardware to attach it to his bike, this one weighed in at 20 grams.
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-nathan_ong_2-v1.png
    Custom - Garmin Mount 2

How about a Varia mount for a saddlebag rear strap:
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-varia_belt_clip_2016-mar-29_02-35-32pm-000_customizedview37469615.jpg
    Garmin Varia Saddle Bag Clip

Apart from requests I am still looking for opportunities to borrow some aero seat posts. I was loaned a Cannondale RS seat post and made up this mount for a Varia/Edge that mounts to that ultra-thin post.
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-garmin_edge-varia__cannondale_slice_rs_mount_2016-mar-13_03-55-23pm-000_home.jpg
    Garmin Edge|Varia / Cannondale Slice RS Mount

Someone wanted to mount a Garmin Varia to the back of a Topeak rear rack so we came up with these two variations. One mounts the Varia inline with the rack mounting holes, the other 17 mm above or below the holes.
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-garmin_eighth-turn_rack_mount_2016-apr-05_02-25-55pm-000_customizedview4006877.jpg 3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-garmin_eighth-turn_rack_mount_style_2_2016-apr-05_03-01-02pm-000_customizedview22149237.jpg
    Garmin Varia Rack Mount - Style 1
    Garmin Varia Rack Mount - Style 2

All of the Garmin mounts are an eighth-turn instead of the normal Garmin quarter-turn. They can mount the device in two orientations Landscape/Portrait without moving or modifying. As soon as I can see a Wahoo Elemnt up close enough to measure, I am going to try to make a single mount that will work for both Garmin and Wahoo as a single device. If DCRainmaker can force the Wahoo into a Garmin quarter-turn mount then I believe I just need to make a small modification to come up with a dual mount solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-nathan_ong-v2.png   3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-nathan_ong_2016-mar-15_03-43-30pm-000_home.jpg  
    Last edited by WheresWaldo; 04-06-2016 at 01:42 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

20% off discount code next week only.

Starting Monday June 13 through Sunday June 19, use code SFONSALE20 to save 20% on all products printed in Strong & Flexible plastics from my Shapeways shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Doing anything for the Wahoo ELEMNT yet?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Doing anything for the Wahoo ELEMNT yet?
    I started to but stopped as there were more pressing requests. I don't have access to an Elemnt to test my mount with so it is on hold for the time being. I just finished a bunch of stuff for the Specialized SWAT mount, and I am working on a couple of things for the Madone 9 Series.

m3bas
    May 2014
    Hi- did you ever get anything made for the Venge Vias?
    Namely decent mounts for the front and rear Bontrager lights?

Thank you

RoadBikeReview Member
    @m3bas

My local Specialized dealer, a shout out to the new NCVelo in South Charlotte, does not have a Venge VIAS for me to look at, so no I have not done anything for it. It is not as simple as asking Specialized for a profile of their aero parts. So far every manufacturer that I have contacted has either ignored my request or trivialized it by saying their reflector mount can be modified, etc.

So sorry the current answer is nothing for the Vias.

m3bas
    May 2014
    Ok thanks for the reply.
    Also how hard would it be to make a standard SRM mount but with an extended front end to clear the stem face plate. Would only need an extra 5-10mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To be honest, I haven't done much with computer mounts as there are so many Chinese players in the market driving costs down. I have done a few custom Garmin mounts for people that have wide stem faceplates and narrow round sections on their handlebars. I could do something for the SRM PowerControl but I would need to have an existing PC mount in my hands for a few days to measure it all up and reverse engineer it.
    Quote Originally Posted by m3bas View Post
    Ok thanks for the reply.
    Also how hard would it be to make a standard SRM mount but with an extended front end to clear the stem face plate. Would only need an extra 5-10mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd LOVE to be able to mount my Cygolite headlight in front of and under the Garmin Mount. Cygolite's mount is straight out of the '80s - large hinged clamp, long threaded rod and knob to tighten it - and the actual mounting plate with tab is bolted to the clamp.

RoadBikeReview Member
    @OldZaskar

Does the Cygolite headlight use the same bracket as their tail lights? If so I can do something for you, otherwise I could do something in a week or so. Can you tell me specifically which headlight you have.

I have done a bunch of interfaces for the K-Edge Garmin mounts, Di2, Garmin Virb, etc. I would probably do something that uses the K-Edge as a base.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast